advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What are the odds of finding a roof leak in a 6'X6' area?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: November 14, 2020 06:42PM
It's 3-tab asphalt shingles over the carport. If you just systematically look down every seam, shouldn't you see it?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What are the odds of finding a roof leak in a 6'X6' area?
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: November 14, 2020 06:49PM
I would look for obvious damage like a torn tab, curled tab or an exposed nail or staple. If you don't see that, then it will be harder to track down. The other possibility is that if the carport butts up to another wall and the flashing is not sealed correctly, water could get behind the flashing and under the shingles.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: btfc
Date: November 14, 2020 06:52PM
Water can travel underneath the roofing material until it finds a weak spot to finally come through.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: November 14, 2020 07:17PM
Should the leak start between the rafters on each side of where the leak appears?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 14, 2020 07:41PM
....5 x 5.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: davester
Date: November 14, 2020 09:11PM
Dennis S
Should the leak start between the rafters on each side of where the leak appears?

Not necessarily. The water might travel from the initial shingle penetration spot along the top of the sheathing in a preferential pathway that has nothing to do with the rafters. Usually it'll make its way through the sheathing downhill of the leak, but not always directly downhill.

That said, if you go up on the roof you should be able to figure out where the shingles are compromised. It only takes a tiny hole to cause a significant leak.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2020 09:17PM by davester.
Posted by: Michael
Date: November 15, 2020 04:34AM
davester
It only takes a tiny hole to cause a significant leak.

We're thinking of building a house near our kid. As we looked at a new subdivision, I saw a painter nail 2x4's into a new roof to lean ladders against an upper wall to paint. I saw the same thing several weeks ago when my neighbor had a painter repaint the metal shield at the top of his chimney. The neighbor's painter put dabs of something in the holes after he took out the boards, but I thought it was really sketchy to nail directly into the shingles rather than using roofing supports nailed in under shingles. I bet my neighbor will be finding little leaks above his kitchen in the years to come.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: November 15, 2020 06:16AM
When the tree landed on our house, we (obviously) had many leaks in that area. However, as time went on, we found leaks in our master bath...on the opposite side of the damage. Basically the water was coming in where the tree was and running down the sheathing to where it decided to let go and drip...above our bathroom.

Posted by: srf1957
Date: November 15, 2020 10:23AM
My cousin is getting a new roof . The previous installer used staples instead of nails . To much power on stapler . They went right thru the shingles . Also weren't as far up as needed to be . The south side where the most wind is blow right off .
Posted by: Ammo
Date: November 15, 2020 02:12PM
When our house was resided 4-5 years ago, the installers used ladder jacks to support the scaffolding. It was anchored into the roof. I’m still finding the nails they used lying on top of the shingles. Apparently they slowly work their way out of the shingles. But it’s very hard to locate the holes where the nails went in. I think the holes may self-seal because we haven’t had any leaks so far.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 15, 2020 02:14PM
A good roof is second only to a good foundation. Do what you can to reshingle your whole roof.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 15, 2020 03:06PM
.....raise......the roof.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: davester
Date: November 15, 2020 06:44PM
Michael
...The neighbor's painter put dabs of something in the holes after he took out the boards, but I thought it was really sketchy to nail directly into the shingles rather than using roofing supports nailed in under shingles.

That would really piss me off if I caught a contractor doing that.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 82
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020