advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Boy Scouts amass incredible numbers of abuse allegations...
Posted by: RgrF
Date: November 17, 2020 06:30AM
...The Boy Scouts of America will face more than 92,700 claims of sexual abuse in a landmark bankruptcy that could reshape the future of one of the nation’s oldest and largest youth organizations, lawyers in the case said Monday as the filing deadline passed.

The Catholic Church especially along with other Christian denominations are all complicit in this -- it's way past time to acknowledge this and clean it up - if that's even possible.

First: face the facts, those kids will never be made whole.
Second: stop the idea lawyers are entitled to the settlement money they take.
Third: start treating rather than incarcerating offenders.

edit note: not sure this ought to be buried with all the political stuff on the other side -- to my mind this isn't in the least political.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2020 06:39AM by RgrF.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Boy Scouts amass incredible numbers of abuse allegations...
Posted by: rz
Date: November 17, 2020 07:34AM
RgrF
it's way past time to acknowledge this and clean it up - if that's even possible.

I'm no longer involved in scouting, as my son decided not to continue into Boy Scouts after finishing Cub Scouts. But I was a leader for 3 years. While it's still possible that abuse can happen, there are a lot of safeguards in place now that weren't there before. As leaders, we were required to take training every year that specifically talked about abuse. We were never allowed to be alone with a child unless he was your own child. And the scouts were also taught every year about it. On outings, they were always supposed to have a buddy whenever they needed to go to the bathroom. Our pack in particular was very vigilant about obeying the rules. On several camping trips with other packs, I would challenge both scouts and leaders whenever I saw them bending or breaking rules.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 17, 2020 07:57AM
....still better than the priest hood [ there things go 'unchecked' for years ].......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: November 17, 2020 09:02AM
rz
RgrF
it's way past time to acknowledge this and clean it up - if that's even possible.

I'm no longer involved in scouting, as my son decided not to continue into Boy Scouts after finishing Cub Scouts. But I was a leader for 3 years. While it's still possible that abuse can happen, there are a lot of safeguards in place now that weren't there before. As leaders, we were required to take training every year that specifically talked about abuse. We were never allowed to be alone with a child unless he was your own child. And the scouts were also taught every year about it. On outings, they were always supposed to have a buddy whenever they needed to go to the bathroom. Our pack in particular was very vigilant about obeying the rules. On several camping trips with other packs, I would challenge both scouts and leaders whenever I saw them bending or breaking rules.

As a former coach of youngsters, I understand that.

Thing is this, the current rules leave kids in a place they shouldn't be -- distrustful of the adults who should only there to be trusted. The organizations that failed are to be held accountable and they ought to be, even if it means disbanding or ending them.

If we do that what do we replace them with and wouldn't that be a really sad place if we don't?

Kids need to trust and we need to provide them a safe and trustful way to do that, that our institutions have failed doesn't mean we have failed them. There are ways to do this, we just need to find them

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2020 09:48AM by RgrF.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: November 17, 2020 09:16AM
This organization is rotten to its core.

It's time to reinvent scouting in the U.S., and the Girl Scouts of America would be a great place to start.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 17, 2020 11:55AM
I think it is also worth considering that a sizeable portion were likely not abused, but see dollar signs in a settlement.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Date: November 17, 2020 12:13PM
So you see it as a scam?

and I thought myself a cynic!
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 17, 2020 12:22PM
My mon was an assistant Cub Scout leader at our church. I don't remember hearing why the previous leader didn't continue. I knew several boys that were in a Sea Scout troop that later had a reported abuser. At least one of them passed away in what could have been a suicide (not usually reported in Catholic church members due to family wishes).

I would guess that many more have either not participated or died than have been replaced by scammers.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: wave rider
Date: November 17, 2020 01:29PM
I was sad I could not continue into Boy Scouts after Cub Scouts; could not afford the uniform.

That sadness passed soon enough and now I am glad.

=wr=
Posted by: Acer
Date: November 17, 2020 05:36PM
Someone is going to have to read all those claims and evaluate them. *shudder*
Posted by: Ammo
Date: November 17, 2020 05:42PM
Sexual abuse can literally ruin someone’s life. And as we’ve seen with the abusing priests who were shuttled around the Catholic Church, offenders don’t usually stop offending.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: November 17, 2020 05:57PM
My experiences as a Cub Scout, WEBELO and Boy Scout were all positive, thankfully.

It is what it is.
Posted by: kj
Date: November 18, 2020 01:46PM
"Third: start treating rather than incarcerating offenders."

How can this possibly be a good idea?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 138
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020