advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
iPhone upgrade opportunities?
Posted by: wave rider
Date: November 17, 2020 12:24PM
I have a friend on my Verizon account, we'd both like to upgrade our phones (and are eligible for Verizon upgrades I think).

Although Verizon has been my only cellular carrier, I am not wedded to them and would consider other carriers.

She has the smaller iPhone (SE?) and is interested in a Mini, I have a 6+ and am interested in a 12 or 12Pro… or a 12ProMax depending on the dollars.

Any deal suggestions? I appreciate all your input, most of you are much more knowledgeable in these matters. Thanks!

=wr=
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: iPhone upgrade opportunities?
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: November 17, 2020 12:44PM
Changing carriers is usually a good time to get deals on new phones. That being said, I really like T-Mobile. Their coverage is very good these days, and the free data while traveling international (hopefully again next year) makes it even more attractive.
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 17, 2020 12:44PM
Have you even visited the V web site to look?

Just call them and ask if its not clear. IHMO< always the easiest way to go.

If you dont mind searching, ive posted a few times about the carrier deals.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: November 17, 2020 12:52PM
Thanks for the T-Mobile recommendation Ken Sp, will give them a look.

JDC, I am at the V site now and will be calling. Their site is not too clear as you mentioned.

=wr=
Posted by: testcase
Date: November 17, 2020 01:54PM
Another T-Mobile fan here. I've been with T-Mo ~ four years and, see NO reason to leave. RVers' often have multiple phones with multiple carriers. I have an iPhone 11 ProMax with Visible (a Verizon owned MVNO). As a "Party Pay" member with Visible, I pay $25/month for UNLIMITED everything as long as I'm connected to a Verizon tower. If case you're not aware, TRUE 5G phone service (especially on Verizon) is, right now YEARS away (unless you're within a stone's throw of a 5G tower). Although I bought my 11 ProMax unlocked at an Apple Store, Visible refunded me $150!
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: November 17, 2020 02:21PM
FYI-The Pro 11 and 12 allow you to have 2 SIMs. One, an internal, "virtual" SIM and one, as a regular SIM card.
Date: November 17, 2020 03:27PM
My trusty 6Plus is starting to “ghost write,” so this seems like a good time to upgrade.

=wr=
Date: November 17, 2020 05:01PM
I have a breakdowns in my past posts of who gives u what.

ATT gives you $0 for SE or 6.

----

Posted by: Michael
Date: November 17, 2020 09:51PM
We just shifted from Google Fi to T-Mobile and traded in SE2020's for 12 mini's on Saturday. I shifted because we were starting to use more data and our Google Fi bill was creeping up toward $100 a month. T-Mobile gave us (or will over time) $530 for each of the SE 2020 phones, so we're paying $170 each for the two 12 mini's. I went to Verizon and asked them what the cheapest line was that gave us a free phone(s). They have a BOGO iPhone 12 on a $80 plus tax/fees unlimited line, so $160 for both of us. The guy told me it would be about $200 after taxes and fees for 2 lines. That would have given us 1 free phone and we would have paid $700 for the other one. Our T-Mobile old guy plan is $70 (with credit card-autopay) for both of us, out the door, and with unlimited everything. The Google Fi plan uses just T-Mobile towers for iPhones so we're getting exactly the same signal as we had with Google Fi but we're also getting wifi calling and Free Tuesdays (already got a couple of free double Steak n Shake burgers!). The Verizon signal is better in a couple of places that we travel through but no better where we spend the vast majority of our time. By the way, it shows 5G a lot and maybe it's a touch faster, but certainly not noticeably so. The T-Mobile guy said that the mid-range 5G that is noticeably faster will be in our area in January. We'll see...

T-Mobile shows that they'd give $215 in trade for an old SE and for a 6+, so you'd be out of pocket more if you traded those in.

Edit: 6+, not 6, in the last sentence.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2020 09:52PM by Michael.
Date: November 17, 2020 11:08PM
ATT gave us $2000 for 2 XRs and a 7.

I've got an 8 on the way from gazelle (paid $175 on sale) and ATT will give me $700 for it = free mini 12

----

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 109
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020