advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Great M1 MacBook Pro Review and General Overview of the M1 & why the Memory/Port limits
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: November 17, 2020 01:46PM
[appleinsider.com]

Reviews are generally positive insofar as I've read. This review -- well worth a read -- goes into a little more detail, such as why the 16GB RAM limit and why only 2 ports:

A couple of takeaways:

Memory: In order to work with more than 16GB of RAM, it appears Apple will need to develop a new chip design. The limitation is likely one reason why M1 is only being supplied across the lower end of Apple's current Mac lineup. And at the same time, the intended design of the M1 is clearly targeting the lowest hanging fruit for Apple to power with its first generation Mac SoC.

Ports: Adding additional Thunderbolt connectivity and ports — such as are available on the Intel version of the four-port 13 inch MacBook Pro — will also require a new M chip design that adds additional serial controller logic. The silicon budget of M1 involves a variety of engineering tradeoffs that closely optimise the chip with its intended purpose. The decisions Apple made both limit what it can do but also maximise how efficiently it can run.

(added) Of course, the memory this may not be an issue for many, if at all. The Unified Memory Architecture would seem to negate the issue, and be grounds for something of a paradigm shift in how we think about how much memory is enough to get the job done.

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2020 01:49PM by Zoidberg.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Great M1 MacBook Pro Review and General Overview of the M1 & why the Memory/Port limits
Posted by: Acer
Date: November 17, 2020 02:24PM
Zoidberg
(added) Of course, the memory this may not be an issue for many, if at all. The Unified Memory Architecture would seem to negate the issue, and be grounds for something of a paradigm shift in how we think about how much memory is enough to get the job done.

So, someday 640k will truly be all anyone needs?
Re: Great M1 MacBook Pro Review and General Overview of the M1 & why the Memory/Port limits
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: November 17, 2020 04:33PM
Zoidberg
Of course, the memory this may not be an issue for many, if at all. The Unified Memory Architecture would seem to negate the issue, and be grounds for something of a paradigm shift in how we think about how much memory is enough to get the job done.

Yup - I said something along the same lines here: [forums.macresource.com]

Acer
So, someday 640k will truly be all anyone needs?

Exactly what I was thinking as I posted this: [forums.macresource.com]

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 127
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020