Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
[WARNING] 3rd party ink killed the printhead of my Officejet Pro 8620
Posted by: Robert M
Date: November 18, 2020 07:08PM
Hi everyone,

Just a word of caution. I decided to give 3rd party ink from tonergreen.com a try in my office's HP Officejet Pro 8620. I've had good luck with their aftermarket toner cartridges for our Brother HL-2270DW and our HP Laserjet P2035N. Since that was the case, I felt it might be worth trying their ink for our Officejet Pro 8620.

Big mistake.

2.5 or so months later and the Officejet Pro now no longer recognizes the printhead.

I looked online and found several methods for resolving the issue. None worked. The printhead is shot.

An OEM printhead is available for $152.81 each but you have to buy a minimum of 2 qty. I can replace the printer entirely with a newer model with better features for about the same price as just one cartridge. Very frustrating.

Lesson learned.

The only positive thing about this situation is that the Officejet Pro still works for scanning and faxing. That and I still have its second paper tray. So, I'll throw the carcass into storage in case I need a network scanner and take the extra paper tray home to use with my Officejet Pro 8600. smiling smiley

Robert

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2020 07:26PM by Robert M.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: [WARNING] 3rd party ink killed the printhead of my Officejet Pro 8620
Posted by: Don C
Date: November 18, 2020 07:28PM
I lost three or four regular Canon printers by using third party inks. Gave up that losing battle and just used Canon branded cartridges. I print very little, so the higher cost of the brand name ink was far superior to replacing printers every now and again
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 18, 2020 07:39PM
IF I ever buy an inkjet printer again, it will be a model with large tanks like Epson Ecotank series.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 18, 2020 07:41PM
space-time
it will be a model with large tanks like

....that's what he said......!!!!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: November 18, 2020 08:28PM
smiley-laughing001

you never disappoint
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: November 18, 2020 11:58PM
It's stories like this that make me enjoy my HP Envy Photo 7155 with the HP Instant Ink subscription plan. We're going on our third year now. We never run out of ink. There is zero stress in choosing OEM ink or 3rd party inks or toners. We never question if I should print this ten page document with huge photos. If my wife needs to print 40 copies of something for her kindergarten class, that's never an issue. During COVID, this keeps her out of the school copy room. Because we now print more consistently, we never have clogged nozzles.

I generally hate subscription based things. It took a year for Mrs Markintosh to convince me that Instant Ink was the right thing to do. I should have listened sooner.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Date: November 19, 2020 06:09AM
Mark,

Ink subscription plans don't work for me. We do better buying oem ink as we need it using discounts from various vendors. I decided to take a gamble with the Officejet Pro since tonergreen.com is a known good vendor of aftermarket toner. Figured their ink should be solid, too. I won many times with toner. Turns out it was a bad choice when it to ink.

Robert
Date: November 19, 2020 09:28AM
2.5 or so months later and the Officejet Pro now no longer recognizes the printhead.

I am not familiar with this printer model or with the tonegreen company, so my comment below should be taken with a grain of salt.

Since the printer worked for about 2 months and this ink didn't clog the print head right away, it may be possible that this is an unrelated electronics failure in the printer or printhead and not necessarily caused by the ink.

Out of curiosity, are these in cartridges with chip?
Posted by: JoeH
Date: November 19, 2020 09:30AM
My experience with 3rd party ink and toner purchased by the departments at the university I worked for has led me to never buy it for my personal printers. Even purchased from known "good" sources there has been various problems - colors off, clogging, leaking cartridges, and so on. Just not worth it.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: November 19, 2020 03:02PM
Thanks for the warning!!

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: November 20, 2020 07:25AM
Space,

Definitely the ink. No issues at all with two other Officejet Pro series that use the same cartridges. For those, I'd only used OEM. This was the first with aftermarket ink. Should've seen the signs when the color was off on a few prints a couple of weeks ago. Life was complicated and I didn't have the luxury of messing with the printer. Shame on me for not taking the moments to swap out the cartridges.

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 139
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020