advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Use Chrome? Forbes: Google Chrome Update Gets Serious - Homeland Security (CISA) Confirms Attacks Underway
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: November 19, 2020 08:02AM
[www.forbes.com]

from the article @ Forbes:

"Homeland Security cybersecurity agency says update Google Chrome as attackers hone in on new security flaws.

Within the space of just three short weeks, Google has patched no less than five potentially dangerous vulnerabilities in the Chrome web browser.

These are not your common vulnerabilities either, but rather ones known as zero-days. A zero-day being a vulnerability that is being actively exploited by attackers while remaining unknown to the vendor or threat intelligence outfits.

The latest two zero-days to be discovered are classed as high-severity in nature and affect Chrome for Windows, Mac and Linux."

I'm not using Chrome these days (Safari Technology Preview is my go-to browser) but I thought it worth mentioning.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Use Chrome? Forbes: Google Chrome Update Gets Serious - Homeland Security (CISA) Confirms Attacks Underway
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: November 19, 2020 08:27AM
Those using Chromium based browsers such as Vivaldi may need to update as well.
Re: Use Chrome? Forbes: Google Chrome Update Gets Serious - Homeland Security (CISA) Confirms Attacks Underway
Posted by: MindMeld
Date: November 19, 2020 09:39AM
Thanks for the heads up. I just updated although I don't use Chrome much. I typically use Safari mostly but sometimes Epic and Firefox.
Posted by: Spiff
Date: November 19, 2020 10:11AM
I am running Sierra on my work Mac. Can't find a way to update chrome. Chrome not on the latest version, I checked. I am using 86XXXXXXX the latest version for mac is 87xxxxxxxx. Thoughts? Is it the Sierra that is holding me back?
Posted by: MindMeld
Date: November 19, 2020 10:19AM
Not sure about your version but I just clicked on "Chrome" and then "About Google Chrome" in the drop-down window. It started to automatically look for updates.
Posted by: PizzaGod
Date: November 19, 2020 10:23AM
Switched to Firefox a year or two ago-never looked back.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: November 19, 2020 11:22AM
The default for Chrome is to autoupdate, and from looking into it a few weeks ago Chrome does a check every few hours. Turning off the autoupdate is somewhat involved, unless you went to a lot of trouble your install will be up to date not long after using Chrome.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: November 19, 2020 03:25PM
Just say nyet to Chrome.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 105
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020