advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Turn Old Dumb TV into a 'Smart' One?
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: November 23, 2020 09:31AM
Is there a box I can get that will turn the old but reliable CRT TV in the kitchen into a 'Smart TV'? I'm thinking of 'cutting the cable', but that would reduce the 'dumb' TV to rabbit ears.

I know I could get a newer TV, but this truly-flat Sanyo is a hand-me-up from our daughter, and works just fine, so I would hate to consign it to the dump.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Turn Old Dumb TV into a 'Smart' One?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 23, 2020 09:34AM
....many option....Roku box.....Apple TV....

....just make sure it can attach to the older TV, as most use HDMI now.....you probably can only use the old A/V cables......you may have to get an older model for it to work.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: November 23, 2020 09:39AM
It would help to know what inputs it has and how old it is. CRT TV's haven't been sold since 2007, so connectivity may be an issue. In theory, you could hook an Apple TV or Fire TV up to it if it has either DVI or HDMI. DVI would require a HDMI to DVI cable and separate audio connection. If the TV has neither, it's probably more trouble than it's worth to make it all work.

In reality, it's probably better to bite the bullet and get a new TV with the ability to run apps for both and other services. One device, one remote and much more energy efficient than a CRT.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: November 23, 2020 09:49AM
As said, it really depends on the TV. If it has HDMI inputs, you're golden -- you can choose pretty much any box or stick available.

If it's from an RCA jack era, you'll need to go with an older model offers that connectivity, or also get a converter box to add to the mix. There are cheap options on Amazon.

When all is said and done (i.e., streamer box + converter), it might just be cheaper (easier, cleaner) to buy a small TV that has Roku or the like built-in.

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: John B.
Date: November 23, 2020 09:50AM
What macphanatic said. It's a challenge to find a steaming box (Apple TV, Fire, Roku) that has non-HDMI outputs. I got my parents a Roku with component outputs a few years ago, it was a WalMart-only SKU, and I believe it's since been discontinued.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: November 23, 2020 09:52AM
I'm guessing your old tube TV does NOT have an HDMI in. If it has RCA in, you can use this:
[www.roku.com]

I would also hazard the old TV does NOT have a digital Tuner, and most of the old analog channels are off the air, so you would need a digital TV adapter as well. Some of these have DVR as well,

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: November 23, 2020 10:39AM
.....if someone finds a solution, they should patent it......dumb blondes around the world will get in line......

Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: November 23, 2020 10:53AM
For all the time, effort, and expense, would you be better off buying some cheapo TV this BF season?

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: Robert M
Date: November 23, 2020 10:58AM
pRICE,

You beat me to the same recommendation. These days, it's better to replace the old TV (CRT/Lacks HDMI/etc) with a dumb model and add a streaming media box to it. I'd make this recommendation regardless of time of year. That it's Black Friday opens the door to nice sales. I believe February is the other time of the year when it's a good time to buy a TV.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2020 11:00AM by Robert M.
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 23, 2020 11:16AM
Robert M
pRICE,
You beat me to the same recommendation. These days, it's better to replace the old TV (CRT/Lacks HDMI/etc) with a dumb model and add a streaming media box to it. I'd make this recommendation regardless of time of year. That it's Black Friday opens the door to nice sales. I believe February is the other time of the year when it's a good time to buy a TV.
Robert

This^^

Now 3 out of 3 MRFers agree.

The cost of a streaming box + converter = halfway to the cost of a brand new smart TV.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 23, 2020 12:08PM
Definite agree that it's TV upgrade time.

Smart TV's are stupid cheap now. The only cost adder is that you will have to dispose of the CRT TV and it's considered hazardous waste. Lots of counties do a yearly HAZMAT collection where you can drop off your CRT TV.
Date: November 23, 2020 12:11PM
....it is very hard to get rid of CRT TV....sanitation won't take it.....try to donate but no one wants it [ Goodwill will only take LED TV, no CRT ].....you can't even give it away for free.....they say the manufacturer is supposed to take it back [ good luck with that ]....

Posted by: Robert M
Date: November 23, 2020 12:25PM
New,

Communities often have electronics recycling days. They'll take old CRT TVs.

Robert
Date: November 23, 2020 01:39PM
This Sanyo has composite (RCA) inputs, plus S-video, and of course coaxial (which cable box uses). Remote is analogue (I assume), but Roku et al come with their own remotes.

For some reason I wasn't sure that boxes like Roku, Apple TV, etc. would work with an a TV that old. It's kinda temping to try. I have an Apple TV (model 3, I think) that's hooked up to the big Sony Android TV in the living room, which we do use for AirPlay occasionally, so I probably shouldn't move it. The Roku with composite cables that Rolando linked is 'Out of Stock', which I assume means discontinued, but there are other cheap Rokus that would work with adapters. . .

Speaking of TVs, that reminds me. . . I'll post separately.

/Mr Lynn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2020 01:39PM by mrlynn.
Posted by: btfc
Date: November 23, 2020 02:08PM
[www.lifewire.com]
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: November 23, 2020 02:26PM
mrlynn
This Sanyo has composite (RCA) inputs, plus S-video, and of course coaxial (which cable box uses).

Are you sure it lacks HDMI? I had a HD CRT Sanyo TV from that era (HT30744) and it had HDMI…
Date: November 23, 2020 03:26PM
Article Accelerator
mrlynn
This Sanyo has composite (RCA) inputs, plus S-video, and of course coaxial (which cable box uses).

Are you sure it lacks HDMI? I had a HD CRT Sanyo TV from that era (HT30744) and it had HDMI…

DS20930. No HDMI. From 2004.

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: ArtP
Date: November 23, 2020 03:45PM
I don't need a new TV but seriously looking at some of those BF ROKU TV deals at Target. I have a 40" cheapie SEKEI dumb TV <spelling> with a Roku Express and works very well.

I mainly stream Xfinity Stream to the ROKU so it is almost like a extra Comcast box without the monthly fee.

I like the dumb TV if my WiFi glitches them I may do Over the Air channels via Antenna.

Only thing stopping me from buying a new 50 or 55 inch ROKU on the Target deal is if it will fit my current TV stand and if I can still get Over the Air via a Antenna like a dumb TV.
Date: November 23, 2020 03:48PM
btfc
[www.lifewire.com]

I actually have a couple of Apex digital converter boxes, which the government gave away when TV stations converted from analog to digital broadcasts. Never used them; went to cable instead. They're not 'smart' boxes, though, and don't have HDMI inputs, so wouldn't work as converters from a 'smart' box either.

/Mr Lynn
Date: November 23, 2020 04:08PM
ArtP
Only thing stopping me from buying a new 50 or 55 inch ROKU on the Target deal is if it will fit my current TV stand and if I can still get Over the Air via a Antenna like a dumb TV.

.....just fyi but the legs on TCL Roku TVs are on the wide side.....instead of from the middle, they are located in the outer part of the TV......extremely wide, so you are correct to be worried......they won't fit on most 'narrower' stands........

......other TVs used to have stand in the center of the TV......

Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: November 23, 2020 04:28PM
Though it may be more rational to explore other alternatives, I commend you in trying to keep that Sanyo going. It seems it satisfies your needs. I am sure there is an older but still currently supported Roku or AppleTV out there that can connect to your TV.Sorry I don’t have any specific advice.
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: November 23, 2020 05:20PM
Look for older Roku Boxes that have Composite Output. Not the sticks, must be the regular Box.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: November 23, 2020 06:06PM
We have a 27" Panasonic Tau perfectly flat CRT from the last days of CRT'dom....

We went thru a few cheapo HDMI to RCA/composite/component s-video adapters... the third one has been a charm. First two kept having "issues", either heat, resolution persistency, or both. I got the feeling that by splurging for a $20 - $30 adapter, some/all of the trial and error associated w/ $10 - $12 adapters could've been avoided... but w/ an old CRT, we didn't want to overspend. OTOH, your Sanyo may be like our Panny, and be highly desired by retro gamers.... looks like our Panny could fetch $250 - $300 on the retro-gamers forums; your truly-flat 20" Sanyo DS20930 may be similarly saleable for landfill avoidance.

Until we splurge on a 65" 4K OLED TV, the old, smartened up CRT will remain in the second bedroom, when it will get another hand-me-down; at which point we'll sell the Panny Tau into retro-gamer slavery, along w/ its cheapo adapter. Other than the "issues" w/ the first trial and error adapters, it's been a very workable solution.
==
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: November 23, 2020 08:19PM
I've gotta RCA Colortrak 2000 in the basement that the only problem it has is the coax connection is bad. It was always a really good TV. It has the best sound of any TV I ever had with a separate woofer and tweeter on each side of the back cabinet, firing on an angle. I wouldn't mind trying one of those Roku's with the RCA jacks just for the heckuva it.

It's almost identical to this one.
[www.pinterest.com]

Grateful11
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: November 24, 2020 12:41PM
Bottom line; best bet is the Roku that Rolando mentioned above: [www.roku.com]

It has an HDMI output but also the option for the Composite Output so your bases are covered both now and if you replace the set at some point (or want to use the Roku elsewhere for a bit). At $30, it's a great option.

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Date: November 24, 2020 12:54PM
Zoidberg

It has an HDMI output but also the option for the Composite Output so your bases are covered both now and if you replace the set at some point (or want to use the Roku elsewhere for a bit). At $30, it's a great option.

The Roku with composite cables is 'Out of Stock' at Roku and $140 at Amazon, which suggests they're not making it any more. But the $30 Roku plus a $12 HDMI-to-composite adapter is an option.

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: Buzz
Date: November 24, 2020 01:01PM
mrlynn
Zoidberg

The Roku with composite cables is 'Out of Stock' at Roku and $140 at Amazon, which suggests they're not making it any more. But the $30 Roku plus a $12 HDMI-to-composite adapter is an option.

/Mr Lynn

That's pretty much what we ended up with... OTOH, we still have mass quantities of high quality old school cables, so the adapters that came w/ cables weren't desirable. Good luck.
==
Date: November 24, 2020 01:18PM
Buzz
mrlynn
Zoidberg

/Mr Lynn

That's pretty much what we ended up with... OTOH, we still have mass quantities of high quality old school cables, so the adapters that came w/ cables weren't desirable. Good luck.
==

That's a point, Buzz. I've got a lot of RCA cables here, too.

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: ArtP
Date: November 25, 2020 12:48AM
NewtonMP2100
ArtP

.....just fyi but the legs on TCL Roku TVs are on the wide side.....instead of from the middle, they are located in the outer part of the TV......extremely wide, so you are correct to be worried......they won't fit on most 'narrower' stands........

......other TVs used to have stand in the center of the TV......

Yep, went to Target and measured - too wide and unstable for a simple swap. Stand is 31inches - most TVs had the legs toward the ends at least 36 inches or more.

Oh well - there is another "toy" that I "don't really need at this moment" more than a newer to me TV so I think I will wait. Research and shop for a wider TV stand.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 107
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020