advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
It’s iPhone-buying time.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 23, 2020 11:01AM
My 8 Plus serves my needs but thought I’d upgrade if I can switch from Verizon to a Verizon MVNOS such as Visible with a new phone. The screen is cracked, not a huge deal for me but I don’t know that we’ll try to replace the screen after the 7 Plus debacle the other day.

Not sure if this is standard but I did notice that the 12 Mini costs $44 more if bought from Visible? Why is that? Are they rolling in the cost of activation?

Wife says the loss of her Home button on her 7 Plus doesn’t bother her but it’s s security risk.

Overall, we plan to give our old phones to the kids if we can (who currently have no phone since their shared SE died) and move to an MVNO if possible. I’m aware that under certain conditions reception might not be as good due to prioritized traffic.

AT&T is a wildcard; supposedly our little town now also has that service but there’s no store here for that.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: It’s iPhone-buying time.
Date: November 23, 2020 11:03AM
Your thoughts? I’m drawn to the 12 but even an 11 would be a nice improvement. I like the idea of the iPhone 4-5 square edge that the 12 has. Always preferred that.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 23, 2020 11:06AM
....all the ladies are goin' for the 12 [ not the mini ].......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 23, 2020 11:13AM
Here was my experience with ATT: [forums.macresource.com]

If you can stay with Verizon -- they will likely give you $700 ($800?) credit towards a new 12 with your 8+ -- even with a cracked screen.

Verify... (ATT told me it was fine with my basic Xr) if not, you could have it repaired for $200? (not sure the going rate on a 8+) then submit for a discount. Still a $500 credit towards a 12.

Same with your wifes 7, at least $350 discount towards a 12 -- even with a bad button

One caveat... you might have to change to an unlimited plan.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: November 23, 2020 11:22AM
I can check and see what Verizon offers but even with a healthy trade-in (potentially, after repairs) I’d wager Verizon will still cost more in the long run.

Visible is offering a $200 card with purchase of:

11 Pro Max ($984)
11 Pro ($936)
12 Pro Max ($1104)

No contract but you need to make 2 monthlies before getting the $200, not a problem.
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 23, 2020 11:28AM
As far as I can tell, the cameras on the non-Max 12 iPhones are roughly as good as the 11Max (which had an excellent camera).

Seems like that's worth the extra $$.

Whether you need the 12Pro vs 12, not so clear.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: November 23, 2020 11:29AM
I love, love, love my 12 Pro Max. Physically the phone isn't really any larger than the 8+ (my previous phone). But the added screen real-estate! The screen also looks nicer, images seem to pop.

I just bought the phone outright (well, I joined the every year new phone program) as switching to an unlimited plan with the iPhone rebate/discount would have actually cost me more money over the course of two years.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 23, 2020 11:39AM
....once you go 12.....you will never go back.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: November 23, 2020 12:51PM
Call them. Its the only way to know. Hunting all over their web site trying to guess will get you no where.

----

Date: November 23, 2020 12:55PM
Sam3
I love, love, love my 12 Pro Max. Physically the phone isn't really any larger than the 8+ (my previous phone). But the added screen real-estate! The screen also looks nicer, images seem to pop.

I concur with this sentiment on the 12ProM. It really isn't as large as some make it out - for me, the main issue is fitting in my standard front pocket. So far, passes that test.
Date: November 23, 2020 04:10PM
I’d like something physically smaller and lighter than the Plus models. The usual decisions of how old to go vs when it makes sense to spend more still apply I guess. We’re in a weird situation of having 3 phones that have been damaged, which is super annoying in terms of resale value.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 23, 2020 05:22PM
deckeda
Not sure if this is standard but I did notice that the 12 Mini costs $44 more if bought from Visible? Why is that? Are they rolling in the cost of activation?

Since Visible is offering 0% financing, my guess is they are rolling the finance fees upfront in the price.

With Visible, the 12 mini is $744 with a $100 prepaid card sent to you. You can also get 4% ($30) back via Rakuten (ebates). So the cost would be $614

You can buy a 12 mini from Apple direct for $729 (sim-free), you still get the $100 prepaid with BYOP from Visible , but not the $30 Rakuten, so your cost would be $630

If you do not have a Rakuten account, PM me and I'll send you a referral, that will give you an additional $40 cash back, so your final cost would be either $574 or $590

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2020 05:23PM by Ombligo.
Posted by: robfilms
Date: November 23, 2020 09:03PM
i am a longtime sprint user.

(don't snicker, it has worked for me and our 5 person family plan!)

we are all at the 6S/6S+ level.

we need new iphones.

i wish i could find a decent sprint deal.

i wonder if i can go to t-mobile and "switch" my lines from sprint to t-mobile and thus get some of the new customer deals i'm seeing.

stay well.

rob
Date: November 23, 2020 10:24PM
Ombligo
deckeda

Since Visible is offering 0% financing, my guess is they are rolling the finance fees upfront in the price.

With Visible, the 12 mini is $744 with a $100 prepaid card sent to you. You can also get 4% ($30) back via Rakuten (ebates). So the cost would be $614

You can buy a 12 mini from Apple direct for $729 (sim-free), you still get the $100 prepaid with BYOP from Visible , but not the $30 Rakuten, so your cost would be $630

If you do not have a Rakuten account, PM me and I'll send you a referral, that will give you an additional $40 cash back, so your final cost would be either $574 or $590

Thanks. I am a Rakuten member but wasn’t aware there was now a rebate from them for Visible. I also didn’t realize you could buy elsewhere and get the phone rebate. I like having options! Guess I was wrong about the mini’s price. I thought they started at $699.
Date: November 23, 2020 11:14PM
robfilms
we are all at the 6S/6S+ level.

i wonder if i can go to t-mobile and "switch" my lines from sprint to t-mobile and thus get some of the new customer deals i'm seeing.

Im sure you can... but you only get the highest trade in if you are getting a 12.

6S was getting $250? from ATT. More from Verizon I think.

Still going to be pricey if you don't pay for the balance of the phone upfront.

CALL VERIZON AND ASK.

The web site is too hard to figure out. Sales rep can give you all the details down to the penny.

----

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 24, 2020 04:06AM
deckeda
[ Guess I was wrong about the mini’s price. I thought they started at $699.

$699 if tied to a carrier, $729 unlocked

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Date: November 24, 2020 07:48AM
Ombligo
deckeda

Thanks. I didn’t even know phones could still be locked, after the iPhone 5.
Date: November 24, 2020 08:22AM
deckeda
Ombligo
deckeda

Thanks. I didn’t even know phones could still be locked, after the iPhone 5.

The entire purpose of the new AT&T trade-in plan is to lock customers in.
Date: November 24, 2020 06:07PM
sekker

After 20 years of near perfect service... Im happy to take their trade in offer... and will do the same when the iPhone 14 comes out. =)

----

Date: November 25, 2020 08:51AM
jdc
sekker

After 20 years of near perfect service... Im happy to take their trade in offer... and will do the same when the iPhone 14 comes out. =)

The main reason seems to be that AT&T is WAY behind others in true 5G roll-out. If you wanted 5G to replace broadband, AT&T is likely going to be well after TMobile and Verizon in most areas. We are in a pretty up-scale (but smaller) city, and AT&T has not even announced their plans for 5G here. I'm ok - not needing 5G for home internet - but once we are traveling, the differences in 5G coverage could be important.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 90
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020