advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
car maintenance question
Posted by: davemchine
Date: November 23, 2020 12:21PM
I recently purchased a 2017 Yukon Denali and took it to the dealership for an oil change. On the receipt they gave me it says there is some recommended maintenance if not done by prior owner. "4WD SVC, BRAKE FLUID FUEL INJ".

I pulled the Carfax and it says "Front and rear differential fluid flushed". Does that satisfy the first item? How important is it to clean the fuel injector? I don't see that on the recommended service list I pulled from google.

Thanks
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: car maintenance question
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: November 23, 2020 12:32PM
You know they call them "Stealerships" for a reason...

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Acer
Date: November 23, 2020 12:32PM
FUEL INJ cleaner is probably an overpriced bottle of magic elixir you can buy at Auto Zone.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: November 23, 2020 12:37PM
Or just buy gas...most brands include those sort of additives, whether they advertise it or not.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: STL
Date: November 23, 2020 12:48PM
20y with fuel injected cars.
Have never knowingly cleaned the injectors.
Stealership is correct
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 23, 2020 12:48PM
I take the 'inspection report' and look at it. Then take it to my favorite service shop and ask them about it.

"Dry Rot" in the tires was the Subaru's dealership statement. Really ? The tires are perhaps 3 years old. Naw.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: November 23, 2020 12:49PM
Do the brakes feel squishy?

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: davemchine
Date: November 23, 2020 01:04PM
Brakes feel fine to me. Thanks for all the help.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: November 23, 2020 01:15PM
"4WD SVC, BRAKE FLUID FUEL INJ" is a scheduled maintenance 'reminder' that's
factory programmed into the ECU. Recorded mileage is the trigger for it to be
reported and/or displayed on instrument console. Entirely different from system
events or faults displayed by the OBD-II system.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: btfc
Date: November 23, 2020 02:14PM
[www.carfax.com]
Posted by: Schpark
Date: November 23, 2020 02:21PM
Follow the owner's manual not the stealership recommendations.
Posted by: Cary
Date: November 23, 2020 02:23PM
F & R diffs are not 4WD service - that's the transfer case, which has it's own fluid.

Here are the intervals we recommend (synthetic fluids):
Engine oil - 5000 - 7500 miles
Transmission - auto - 30k miles
Transmission - manual - 50k miles
Transfer case - 50k miles
F&R differentials - 50k miles
Brake fluid - every 2 years
Antifreeze - every 2 years
Posted by: JPK
Date: November 23, 2020 02:40PM
I use this in every other tank of gas. It will do more for you than any dealership fuel injector service will do.

[www.amazon.com]

John P. Kelly
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 23, 2020 02:47PM
....car....ee......oke.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 23, 2020 02:56PM
On the receipt they gave me it says there is some recommended maintenance if not done by prior owner. "4WD SVC, BRAKE FLUID FUEL INJ".

A lot of dealerships are unethical, if not outright criminal organizations fraudulently taking one's money under the guise of recommended or needed maintenance.

Some are honest.

I don't think this particular experience defines the dealership one way or the other.

All of the recommended items could be performed by an owner, if one were willing.

Often, for various reasons, we're not, and that's why we pay the dealer.

Injectors can get fouled.

Usually it happens slowly, over time, and a performance decrease is never noted.

But generally, the various detergents/additives in good fuel keep that from being a problem.

A can of Redline or Costco fuel injector cleaner is cheaper than a dealer and will hurt much less if one doesn't see an improvement.

The Costco 55gal drum may be more than you need, so Pep Boys or Auto Zone is probably a better way to go.

If the gas mileage is pretty much the same as when you first got the car, injector cleaning might be wholly unnecessary or of little benefit.

I've got 80,000mi on my 2002 car, and may run some magic elixir just to see if there's some improvement.

I won't know until I know.

It may be as useless as an oil and filter change every 3,000mi under the 'cheap insurance' dogma.

"Front and rear differential fluid flushed". Does that satisfy the first item?

I wouldn't know, but probably meets the shade tree requirements.

A dealer would likely do an inspection for wear and loose units, but I have no idea of the what's what on that.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: November 23, 2020 02:57PM
Check owners manual before using fuel additives. For certain engines, it’s recommended not to use them, especially turbo engines.

Still a firm believer in flushing brake systems every 3 to 4 years. May not be as critical with newer brake fluid formulations. Older fluids are hydroscopic and need to be replaced every few years.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: November 23, 2020 03:26PM
reality is most will never change brake fluid...top it off when changing pads/rotors, but never a full change.
Posted by: Acer
Date: November 23, 2020 03:28PM
macphanatic
Check owners manual before using fuel additives. For certain engines, it’s recommended not to use them, especially turbo engines.

Still a firm believer in flushing brake systems every 3 to 4 years. May not be as critical with newer brake fluid formulations. Older fluids are hydroscopic and need to be replaced every few years.

Yeah, I think the brake fluid thing can't hurt, but on a 2017 car I think it's premature. My daughter had a transient sponge-brake moment this summer on a 15 year old car. Definitely changed the fluid then.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 23, 2020 04:55PM
My car (2017 VW) is 3 years and then every two years for brake fluid. But a 15 year change interval sounds pretty common even if its not recommended.

Posted by: davester
Date: November 23, 2020 05:58PM
macphanatic
Yeah, I think the brake fluid thing can't hurt, but on a 2017 car I think it's premature. My daughter had a transient sponge-brake moment this summer on a 15 year old car. Definitely changed the fluid then.

If the brake pedal is spongy that is due to air in the system suggesting a leak. The recommended 2 year fluid change interval is done to avert corrosion in the braking system due to the fluid absorbing water from the atmosphere.

Also, there are no newer brake fluid formulations that can help, unless you move to silicone fluid which is generally incompatible with anti-skid braking systems.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Cary
Date: November 23, 2020 06:24PM
davester
macphanatic

If the brake pedal is spongy that is due to air in the system suggesting a leak. The recommended 2 year fluid change interval is done to avert corrosion in the braking system due to the fluid absorbing water from the atmosphere.

Also, there are no newer brake fluid formulations that can help, unless you move to silicone fluid which is generally incompatible with anti-skid braking systems.

This...
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: November 23, 2020 08:07PM
The 4WD Service should include both the front and rear diff and the transfer case. Since it is new enough and the carfax showed the service you should be able to call up the shop/dealer and get a full report on what was done when they did the diff service and see if the transferase fluid swap was done as well.

I'm not seeing brake fluid on the recommended schedule, but typically the over enthusiastic people that change their oil ever 3k miles do it very 2 years, most don't do it until there is a problem.

For the fuel injector service there are two different options. The first is just a fuel treatment. They put in an additive in with your tank of gas and it cleans it out. The other involves a process to clean the injectors and usually the throttle body, plenum, and air intake along with it. Again, some people go 200k miles and never have it done, others every 45k miles on the dot. I think your Yukon has direct injection which does benefit from more frequent cleanings than never.

This should be your maintenance schedule.
[my.gmc.com]

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2020 08:09PM by C(-)ris.
Posted by: testcase
Date: November 23, 2020 09:28PM
Sounds like "ADP"

Additional Dealer Profit

If you "bite" they get to laugh all the way to the bank. When I owned a "Stick & Brick", I had two independent CERTIFIED auto shops I'd deal with. Over time, I got to know both owners and knew I could trust them and the recommendations they made. They both recommended OEM parts like filters and brake pads (and preferred that I fetch the parts from dealers so they didn't have to bother) and ALL the work they did, over ~ 20 years of my dealings with them, stayed fixed! Find a QUALITY MECHANIC and stick with them. Before buying a vehicle, ask said mechanic what his (or her) opinion is of the prospect vehicle. An independent shop is likely to give you honest answers.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: November 24, 2020 11:25AM
davester
macphanatic

The spongy feeling pedal can be from air or moisture in the system.

ATE makes a fluid that increases the recommended change interval from 2yrs to 3yrs.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: November 24, 2020 05:01PM
davester
macphanatic

Not my post/quote..

Spongy brakes could also be an indication of brake hoses starting to fail. Could also be a failing master cylinder. Most likely and hopefully its just air in the system though.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 101
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020