Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
FU: Ring 10 Piece Security System at Costco $100 off
Posted by: graylocks
Date: November 23, 2020 05:48PM
Ya gotta love Costco!

Follow up to this thread here I took the unopened Ring System I purchased in September back to Costco. I didn't have the receipt since I don't save them unless it's a business expense especially at Costco where they can look up every single thing you've ever bought from them.

The rep didn't bat an eye. Looked up my purchase and said Oh, that really is quite a difference! She said she'd have to refund the $179 I paid so I could rebuy it at the sale price of $129. I said sure and after she ran it I asked could I just buy the one I brought in instead of someone having to restock/reprocess it. She thought that was a grand idea. It took all of about 5 minutes.

With most retailers if something goes on sale they only refund the amount of the new sale price and, of course, you better have the receipt. Costco's profits are mostly in the membership fees. They do what they can to keep members happy and returning.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: FU: Ring 10 Piece Security System at Costco $100 off
Posted by: GGD
Date: November 23, 2020 05:54PM
graylocks
With most retailers if something goes on sale they only refund the amount of the new sale price and, of course, you better have the receipt. Costco's profits are mostly in the membership fees. They do what they can to keep members happy and returning.

The Costco service desk told me that their policy if you don't have a receipt is to use the price from the most recent purchase you made of that item. So, if you bought the new one at the sale price first and then tried to return the old one, you would have been screwed.

I make a habit of saving all of my Costco receipts, but there was one time where the critical receipt was missing, and ran into this no-receipt situation, and learned the policy.
Posted by: d4
Date: November 23, 2020 06:00PM
I bought a 50" TV years ago from Costco. A few weeks later, it went on sale. I went to the customer service desk and asked if I could get a price adjustment seeing that I just bought the TV. They said no. I would have to uninstall the TV, drive it back to Costco, and bring it to the CS desk for them to process it. 13+ years later and the 50" Panasonic Plasma TV is still going strong.

Posted by: GGD
Date: November 23, 2020 06:14PM
d4
I bought a 50" TV years ago from Costco. A few weeks later, it went on sale. I went to the customer service desk and asked if I could get a price adjustment seeing that I just bought the TV. They said no. I would have to uninstall the TV, drive it back to Costco, and bring it to the CS desk for them to process it. 13+ years later and the 50" Panasonic Plasma TV is still going strong.

I had a similar situation with a different outcome. A ladder that I bought a year or two earlier was on sale for $50 less. I brought in the receipt from the original purchase and asked about a price adjustment. They said it was too long ago for a price adjustment, but I could return it and buy at the sale price. The told me go into the store, buy the ladder, and come to the service desk with that new ladder and they would "return it" on the old receipt and give me a full refund at the higher price. My ladder never left my house and their ladder never left the store. This is very similar to what they did for Graylocks.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: November 23, 2020 07:24PM
Do plenty of homework before you install this very dubious “security” system in your home.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: graylocks
Date: November 23, 2020 08:35PM
ka jowct
Do plenty of homework before you install this very dubious “security” system in your home.

i used a Ring Floodlight Cam at my brothers house for two years. Worked great. The Ring Facebook group highly recommends the security service. No, I have no concerns about the internet and my privacy with cams on the outside if my house.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: DavidS
Date: November 23, 2020 08:51PM
I'm glad you had a good outcome. Last month, I bought a set of new Michelin tires at Costco. They were on sale for $110 off at the time. This week, they went on sale for $150 off. It took all of 5 minutes for them to refund me the $40 difference. Not as much as you saved, but still worth the time and made me feel valued as a customer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 113
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020