advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Amz Sidewalk install?
Posted by: samintx
Date: November 24, 2020 05:41AM
I don’t have any problems with my Echo or Dot. Why would I want to install Sidewalk?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Amz Sidewalk install?
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 24, 2020 08:03AM
I'm not generally overly concerned with Echo in my house, but this goes a step further than I am comfortable with. I plan to opt-out until more is known.

This article explains Sidewalk better than anything I received from Amazon. [www.cnet.com]

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2020 08:05AM by Ombligo.
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: November 24, 2020 09:34AM
Somewhere Orwell is laughing his ass off.

Posted by: mikebw
Date: November 24, 2020 10:25AM
Thanks for sharing this, I had not heard anything about it. Looking forward to opt-out.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 24, 2020 11:07AM
Good god no. Nexdoor is annoying enough. So much hostility and racism.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: November 24, 2020 12:41PM
This is kind of what comcast has been doing for years. if you have their modem/router it broadcasts a signal that any other Comcast user can log into. the brief time i had one of their units i opted out. yet, if my internet goes down i have been known to log into the Xfinity signal from the church in back of me. it's not very fast but it helps in a pinch. plus this service is part of the backbone for Xfinity Mobile which I also have. As you travel about it connects to Xfinity signals that are in my area like a vast spider web. If it can't find one it falls back to Verizon cell towers. It's all seamless and instantaneous.

So I had mixed feelings when I read the email from Amazon about Sidewalk. It's very Orwellian but the technique has made part of my life easier and less expensive.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2020 12:42PM by graylocks.
Posted by: samintx
Date: November 24, 2020 01:33PM
Thanks al
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 136
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020