advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
2014 Chevy Volt, $3200 repair needed according to dealer
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 24, 2020 12:53PM
I bought this certified pre-owned for 18k about 3 years ago, 9500 miles at that time. Now I had 32k miles on it.

so far I did only 2 oil changes, and ABS wire was chewed up by a chipmunk, and I had the heat pump for cabin heat fail in the first year but that was covered by warranty. They said without warranty it would cost a little over $600.

Now the heat failed again, and it happened I got a flyer form them about all repairs come with 3 year/36k mile warranty and I was willing to pay $600-700 to het the heat fixed. I also inquired if I need a new 12V battery (AGM battery, placed in the trunk, not straightforward to exchange like in ICE cars).

Anyway, they called me back and I need $3221 in repairs (including tax). Some of the items they mentions are:

12V battery $364
Engine Coolant: $230
High Voltage battery coolant: $192
Heater Coil for the main battery: $1700
Air filter: $60
Coil for the steering wheel (it made a noise when I was turning left but not right): $358

So that is about $2900 and I think there is another item I forgot, total with tax would be $3221.

I am not sure if all these really need to be done, or if they are pushing unnecessary repairs.

I should probably look for a reputable intendent mechanic who can work on Chevy Volt but I don't know if they have the tools and knowledge to work on plug in hybrid cars.

Thoughts?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 2014 Chevy Volt, $3200 repair needed according to dealer
Posted by: Acer
Date: November 24, 2020 01:04PM
The only thing that a non-dealer might balk at would be the heater coil, naturally the most expensive thing. I have no idea how complicated that is with the main battery involved. Any chain or local mechanic can do the rest. Fluids and 12v battery can be done in your driveway for a fraction of the dealer dollar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2020 01:06PM by Acer.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 24, 2020 01:10PM
I think you need to take this to a volt specific forum. They should be able to tell you what the concerns might be and the best way to approach them.

I don't think I'd pay a mechanic to change an air filter but thats just me.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 24, 2020 01:11PM
.....so are you now........re....volting.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mikebw
Date: November 24, 2020 01:17PM
Bummer. Heater coil for main battery seems to me like should last more than 6 years. I suspect you could go without that if your climate is not too cold, but I am not an EV mechanic.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: November 24, 2020 01:18PM
suggestion: [www.reddit.com] (9.3K members)

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: graylocks
Date: November 24, 2020 01:19PM
there is a very helpful Volt tech in the Facebook Volt group. He works at a dealership in the Chicago Metro Area and he has been exceedingly helpful telling us when we're being ripped off and when things makes sense.

tag Jaryd Carvell in Chevy Volt Owners

The coolant system does need flushing but I don't believe it's required at the mileage you're at. check the owner's manual.

Chevy Volts do not ship with an air filter. If you have been fine without one don't bother. If you do want one it's brain dead easy to put in yourself. you access it through the glove compartment. One of my dealers tried to slip that past me a couple of times.

I replaced the AGM battery in my 2013 myself last year. They cost $150-$200.

I'd really be asking Jayrd about the necessity for the heater coil in the battery. i've not seen that come up before in the group. if i'm understanding you correctly you're still under 100K, right? Anything with the main battery should be covered with the Voltec warranty.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2020 01:26PM by graylocks.
Date: November 24, 2020 01:20PM
Zoidberg

i find the Facebook group much more helpful than the reddit group.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: btfc
Date: November 24, 2020 01:21PM
[www.gm-volt.com]
Posted by: GGD
Date: November 24, 2020 01:22PM
I wonder how much of that is labor vs parts.

Battery looks doable, similar labor as my 2007 Prius 12V battery replacement. Wonder what the battery itself costs, for the Prius it was around $200.

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: November 24, 2020 02:10PM
graylocks
Zoidberg

i find the Facebook group much more helpful than the reddit group.

Quite likely; I haven't really explored the reddit group myself, though I follow a few other auto subreddits (Subaru, Odyssey, Soul).

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 24, 2020 03:40PM
That list seems to include some things you could replace yourself. Not sure why you asked about the 12V battery if it still works? At any rate it’s a Group 47, available for less than half of their quote although perhaps not if it needs to be AGM. (Is it installed sideways?)

That big ticket item (battery heater) sounds important enough to have set off a warning light. Unlike lead-acid batteries, you can use any flavor of lithium when it’s frozen or it’ll be damaged.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: November 24, 2020 03:48PM
They forgot to add blinker fluid to that list. RollingEyesSmiley5

It is what it is.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: November 24, 2020 03:50PM
graylocks
I'd really be asking Jayrd about the necessity for the heater coil in the battery. i've not seen that come up before in the group. if i'm understanding you correctly you're still under 100K, right? Anything with the main battery should be covered with the Voltec warranty.

This. Not to mention that most certified pre-owned vehicles I've encountered usually extend the manufacturer's warranty out to 100K miles or so, at least on some of the vehicle systems.

It is what it is.
Date: November 24, 2020 03:55PM
N-OS X-tasy!
graylocks

This. Not to mention that most certified pre-owned vehicles I've encountered usually extend the manufacturer's warranty out to 100K miles or so, at least on some of the vehicle systems.

Plus the Volt has an 8yr/100K warranty on the Voltec system which is anything having to do with the hybrid battery.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2020 03:56PM by graylocks.
Date: November 24, 2020 04:07PM
I asked about the power train warranty, they said the battery is under warranty, but the coil is not. He said if this were covered we would not be having this conversation, he would be replacing it.

I will use my wife’s Facebook to check out that group and also browse reddit and gm-volt

Thanks all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2020 04:07PM by space-time.
Date: November 24, 2020 04:11PM
space-time
I asked about the power train warranty, they said the battery is under warranty, but the coil is not. He said if this were covered we would not be having this conversation, he would be replacing it.

do check the groups suggested. it would not be the first time a dealer said something wasn't covered by the Voltec Warranty when it really was.

Posted by: sekker
Date: November 24, 2020 04:18PM
bookmarked this page for when we have issues with our Volt, great info here!
Date: November 24, 2020 04:20PM
space-time -

Does this thread seem relevant to your heat issue: Facebook group Heat Issue Thread

Jayrd chimes in on this, btw.

Date: November 24, 2020 05:37PM
graylocks
space-time -

Does this thread seem relevant to your heat issue: Facebook group Heat Issue Thread

Jayrd chimes in on this, btw.

I can only read the initial post, I guess I need to log in to read other responses. Will do that from my wife’s account when I get home. Thanks
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 24, 2020 09:09PM
Charging lubricant is the new dealer ripoff

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: fauch
Date: November 24, 2020 09:22PM
space-time
12V battery $364
What the hell kind of battery is this?

Engine Coolant: $230
See above

Air filter: $60
Also seems very steep...

I would definitely seek out a non dealer mechanic that is familiar with these cars and see what they say. A regular mechanic should be able to replace anything not related to the hybrid battery system. Hybrids are common enough that it shouldn't be hard to find someone.
Date: November 24, 2020 09:28PM
fauch
What the hell kind of battery is this?

Volts take a Group 47 AGM battery. They are not as cheap as regular batteries but they don't have to be that pricey. Usually are around $150-$200. I think i paid $174 for mine last year which i installed myself.

Though the battery and the air filter can be done by anyone finding a knowledgeable technician for the Volt hybrid battery is not as easy as you think. Even finding one at a Chevy dealership can be a chore. Not every dealer has one and not every one that does has a good one.

Date: November 24, 2020 09:48PM
yeah I watched some videos, I think I could replace the battery, but on the positive side there are quire a few connectors and I don't want to risk anything. I am 99.9999% sure I could do it, I probably don't want to.

I will test it first myself (I have a device) and then if it really needs replacement, I will take it to a mechanic.
Date: November 24, 2020 09:53PM
....short....circuit.....

Date: November 24, 2020 10:05PM
space-time
yeah I watched some videos, I think I could replace the battery, but on the positive side there are quire a few connectors and I don't want to risk anything. I am 99.9999% sure I could do it, I probably don't want to.

I will test it first myself (I have a device) and then if it really needs replacement, I will take it to a mechanic.

the connections weren't problematic. getting the floor of the hatch was the challenge for me as my wrench or rachet, whatever, needed extenders. next time it has to be done i would prefer someone else do it as it was annoying to me. maybe i'll feel differently about it in a few more years, though.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 25, 2020 05:16AM
Fix the cabin heater, skip the rest!!!! The stealership doesn’t make money in the service center on EVs or PHEVs so they rip you off on things you can’t do yourself. Like deckada says, you will get a check engine light with most of those items. They are trying to screw you over - period. BTW, I’m still on the original 12v battery.

My local stealership got me. I read on GM-volt that I should tighten the nuts on the steering axle. I took it in and had them torque them properly. Uh-huh. Five miles later the check engine and another light came on. One wheel had developed a bearing failure which showed up when I took my first corner. Because I foolishly initiated the cheap original work, I ponied up the $600 for the repair.

A couple of weeks ago my Volt threw up another warning:

I had to burn off nearly a whole tank (it holds ~ 9 gallons and I probably had 7 gallons remaining). Sucks to burn gas unnecessarily. My last fill was in October 2019. Anybody know any good deals on gas? BTW, it burns premium (yikes, I see that’s some expensive stuff). No doubt I will have to do the same darn thing next year around this time.

It’s a 2013 Volt with 71k miles. No other major expenses except the same heater replacement as space-time. It’s a well known defect. Ok, I did have to buy a set of tires. It’s due for some sort of maintenance again, besides free tire rotation, at, I think, 98k miles. When I bought the new tires the tire shop measured the brake pads and rotors and they had the same spec as new.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: November 25, 2020 07:40AM
They charged me for one hour of labor ($150) and they said the bill would be ~$165. I paid over the phone and picked up the var later, when the dealership was closed.

The paperwork shows $189, they added another small miscellaneous charge. WTF?

Anyway, in this one hour, they did a comprehensive inspection: filled tires, inspected brake pads, air filters, etc. I am not sure when they had time to properly diagnose all the issues they found. I would expect that a diagnostic for a $1700 repair takes more than a few minutes.

I need to do my own research and ask another mechanic.
Date: November 25, 2020 08:09AM
You got off cheap.

Date: November 25, 2020 08:33AM
Speedy, next time burn about half the gas down and then put in fresh gas. the volt computer will recalculate and average it out. better yet, don’t buy a full tank if you don’t need it and you can add less the next time the message come up.

Posted by: macphanatic
Date: November 25, 2020 08:38AM
Speedy
Fix the cabin heater, skip the rest!!!! The stealership doesn’t make money in the service center on EVs or PHEVs so they rip you off on things you can’t do yourself. Like deckada says, you will get a check engine light with most of those items. They are trying to screw you over - period. BTW, I’m still on the original 12v battery.

My local stealership got me. I read on GM-volt that I should tighten the nuts on the steering axle. I took it in and had them torque them properly. Uh-huh. Five miles later the check engine and another light came on. One wheel had developed a bearing failure which showed up when I took my first corner. Because I foolishly initiated the cheap original work, I ponied up the $600 for the repair.

I had to burn off nearly a whole tank (it holds ~ 9 gallons and I probably had 7 gallons remaining). Sucks to burn gas unnecessarily. My last fill was in October 2019. Anybody know any good deals on gas? BTW, it burns premium (yikes, I see that’s some expensive stuff). No doubt I will have to do the same darn thing next year around this time.

It’s a 2013 Volt with 71k miles. No other major expenses except the same heater replacement as space-time. It’s a well known defect. Ok, I did have to buy a set of tires. It’s due for some sort of maintenance again, besides free tire rotation, at, I think, 98k miles. When I bought the new tires the tire shop measured the brake pads and rotors and they had the same spec as new.

This is the problem with ethanol laced gas. It goes bad much faster than non-alcohol laced gas. In fact, after about a year, it may be difficult to burn.
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 25, 2020 08:48AM
space-time
They charged me for one hour of labor ($150) and they said the bill would be ~$165. I paid over the phone and picked up the var later, when the dealership was closed.

The paperwork shows $189, they added another small miscellaneous charge. WTF?

Anyway, in this one hour, they did a comprehensive inspection: filled tires, inspected brake pads, air filters, etc. I am not sure when they had time to properly diagnose all the issues they found. I would expect that a diagnostic for a $1700 repair takes more than a few minutes.

I need to do my own research and ask another mechanic.

I installed a FIXD wifi sensor in our Volt. I bet they check the status in the same way via computer and then do a once-over. Takes less than 5 min plus the time it takes to add liquids, air, etc. [get.fixdapp.com]
Date: November 25, 2020 12:01PM
graylocks
Speedy, next time burn about half the gas down and then put in fresh gas. the volt computer will recalculate and average it out. better yet, don’t buy a full tank if you don’t need it and you can add less the next time the message come up.

I believe if I put in half a tank it will throw up the requirement to burn off gas in six months. But I really don’t know what will happen with less than a full fill.

macphanatic, the tank is designed to maintain the quality of the gas for a long period of time but no more than a year. However, I can buy non-oxygenated gas to avoid ethanol but the Volt will force me to burn it at the set interval anyway.

Date: November 25, 2020 12:23PM
Speedy
I believe if I put in half a tank it will throw up the requirement to burn off gas in six months. But I really don’t know what will happen with less than a full fill.

yeah but then you'd have less to burn uselessly. although i might think differently if i lived in a climate with severe winter weather i see no need to keep a full tank. i took a road trip in september and filled the tank about 100 miles from home. i haven't put in any gas since. i've used 4.6 gallons. since i have no big trips planned i doubt i'll need to buy gas until March.

Posted by: AllGold
Date: November 25, 2020 03:08PM
Speedy

I suppose the Volt is set up so it's nearly impossible to siphon gas? Otherwise, you could siphon half the gas and burn it in your lawn mower or snow blower.

Posted by: GGD
Date: November 25, 2020 03:37PM
AllGold
I suppose the Volt is set up so it's nearly impossible to siphon gas? Otherwise, you could siphon half the gas and burn it in your lawn mower or snow blower.

Or put it back into the Volt.
Date: November 25, 2020 04:34PM
....see if you can drive the chevy......to the levy.......

Date: November 26, 2020 05:56AM
That’s a thought. As is GGD’s. Unfortunately for me, sort of, I get a discount based on buying certain items at my grocer. I have filled up all my gas burners and spare containers before losing my $1.8x/gallon on 20 gallons. I’ve even left the store and stopped by the pumps to offer my discount to others before they expire.

AllGold
Speedy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 92
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020