Re: The Drive reports on CR's latest auto reliability rankings
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 25, 2020 07:46AM
And Tesla is down.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Posted by: Bixby
Date: November 25, 2020 09:12AM
I'm not sure I understand this - is this really a reliability ranking (which I would think would take a long-term look) or more of an initial quality ranking?
Posted by: Bixby
Date: November 25, 2020 09:19AM
Ah, I see now: Consumer Reports is ranking the most reliable new cars, which is not clear from that article.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: November 25, 2020 10:13AM
Bixby
Ah, I see now: Consumer Reports is ranking the most reliable new cars, which is not clear from that article.

True, but how can they rank reliability of new cars? I like data that spans at least a year or two, or better yet, 10.

Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: November 25, 2020 11:07AM
That list is crazy and also needs an asterisk due to the pandemic.

How is it Buick is #4 (above Honda) but the rest of GM products fall in
below #15 Kia which along with its parent #6 Hyundai have well documented engine issues*?
Also, does the Buick ranking include the China built Encore, aka Opel Mokka?

Holy Batguano, Subaru is only #8, M-B is #20 followed by Cadillac; something
about this list just doesn't smell right.

* Hyundai/Kia Engines

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: macphanatic
Date: November 25, 2020 11:19AM
Remember that this is based upon reports by owners, or at least it used to be.

I gave up on CR rankings for most things years ago. I bought several of their highly rated appliances which all went on to have major known issues for those models.
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 25, 2020 12:51PM
Yes, this is all from surveying owners.

I use CR for the primary data, not how they make their final rankings. I've found the last step to be a problem for 20 years.

But their data from owners has been spot-on in my experience.

For example, we have had two Saturns in our extended family. Both were excellent and reliable cars that were easy to do self-maintenance. Ours was fun to drive (stick). Owners told CR the same.

But CR kept giving it lower overall ratings than Toyota due to their priority on no-maintenance outcomes. Saturns were not quite as good as Toyota, but being able to do your own oil change without a garage lift was one way the Saturns were BETTER for many owners. CR did not consider that a priority in their overall ratings.

Similarly, our recent Bosch was given good - but not the highest - test scores from CR and was not on their final recommended list (the dishes were clean but not always dry in the end). We are ok with clean first, drying second. We are happy with that purchase.

Use the raw/quantitative CR data, ignore their qualitative views.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2020 12:52PM by sekker.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: November 25, 2020 02:48PM
sekker
Yes, this is all from surveying owners.

I use CR for the primary data, not how they make their final rankings. I've found the last step to be a problem for 20 years.

But their data from owners has been spot-on in my experience.

For example, we have had two Saturns in our extended family. Both were excellent and reliable cars that were easy to do self-maintenance. Ours was fun to drive (stick). Owners told CR the same.

But CR kept giving it lower overall ratings than Toyota due to their priority on no-maintenance outcomes. Saturns were not quite as good as Toyota, but being able to do your own oil change without a garage lift was one way the Saturns were BETTER for many owners. CR did not consider that a priority in their overall ratings.

Similarly, our recent Bosch was given good - but not the highest - test scores from CR and was not on their final recommended list (the dishes were clean but not always dry in the end). We are ok with clean first, drying second. We are happy with that purchase.

Use the raw/quantitative CR data, ignore their qualitative views.

My emphasis above. People get bent out of shape when CR rates a different feature higher than what that person finds important, but who cares? It's not a contest, it's data.

Instead use CR's raw data to pick the product that does the best for your preferences. That's the real value in CR and how we always use it. We rarely get the top scorer or even the best value, instead getting what's best for us.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 81
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020