Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
eBay sniper got me last night. Bummed.
Posted by: d4
Date: November 25, 2020 08:17AM
eBay sniper got me last night. Bummed.

I was going after an old, solid walnut and maple Drueke chess board. The sniper got me fair and square. It's too bad. This particular chess board doesn't come up too often in the size and condition I'm looking for. I set my high bid as high as I was comfortable in spending. But there's that nagging feeling in the back of my mind that says I should've went just $20 higher... Haha! Oh well. I hope the old chess board went to a good home and will be played on regularly, rather than a hoarder with a 20+ collection of vintage Drueke boards in a box. Sigh. Ok. Moving on.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: eBay sniper got me last night. Bummed.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 25, 2020 09:23AM
Unless you’re a dealer, running a business, it’s always best to bid uncontrollably and pay any amount no matter the cost. Overspending is the collector’s credo! Crippling debt is the American Way. Where’s your conviction, man?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 25, 2020 09:24AM
.....shot through the heart....and you're to blame......you give love.....a bad name.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: November 25, 2020 09:32AM
The sniper didn't get you, they just paid more than you were willing to spend.

Paul

Posted by: mikebw
Date: November 25, 2020 10:00AM
voodoopenguin
The sniper didn't get you, they just paid more than you were willing to spend.

Paul

Usually *I* am the sniper, but in cases where I don't win, that's exactly how I look at it.

And no, I didn't win your chess board, d4.
Posted by: JPK
Date: November 25, 2020 10:11AM
I just bid the highest amount I want to pay and let ebay handle it from there. If someone wants to pay more, it not really sniping, but just paying more.

JPK
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: November 25, 2020 10:48AM
JPK
I just bid the highest amount I want to pay and let ebay handle it from there. If someone wants to pay more, it not really sniping, but just paying more.

agree smiley
I've both won and lost auctions on ebay - sometimes I think I got a great deal, other times I wonder why folks are paying so much for (insert object here). Either way, life goes on - don't give it a second thought.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: November 25, 2020 11:16AM
For me, sniping is the only way to go.

I always find it funny that the person who is willing to pay the most is the "winner".

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Date: November 25, 2020 11:35AM
Back in the day of dial-up modems (1990s), eBay sniping was an adrenaline pumping sport with 10-15 second delays on the trigger. Now it's just set it and forget it.

Posted by: M A V I C
Date: November 25, 2020 11:59AM
I still snipe. The issue with bidding early is it raises the price. Other people have time to come back and raise their max bids.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: November 25, 2020 12:37PM
deckeda
Crippling debt is the American Way. Where’s your conviction, man?

Go broke saving money!

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 25, 2020 12:50PM
....Severus Snipe.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: November 25, 2020 12:59PM
M A V I C
I still snipe. The issue with bidding early is it raises the price. Other people have time to come back and raise their max bids.

This.

It is what it is.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: November 25, 2020 01:10PM
N-OS X-tasy!
M A V I C

This.

I also enjoy the thrill of a last second win!
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 25, 2020 02:14PM
I always find it funny that the person who is willing to pay the most is the "winner".

Why?

If a person paid what they were willing to pay to get what they want, they've won.

Because it's about the acquisition, at least for most people.

'I didn't pay the most, and I didn't get the item, SO I WIN!'

'Congratulations, you came in second, you didn't win, SO YOU WIN!'

I don't think so, Tim.

If they regretted the purchase, then it's a different story.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: November 25, 2020 02:31PM
mikebw
N-OS X-tasy!
M A V I C

This.

I set it and forget it. A few moments on eSnipe and then it's just a matter of waiting for the notification e-mail to arrive.

It is what it is.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: November 25, 2020 02:36PM
RAMd®d

Why?

If a person paid what they were willing to pay to get what they want, they've won.

Because it's about the acquisition, at least for most people.

'I didn't pay the most, and I didn't get the item, SO I WIN!'

'Congratulations, you came in second, you didn't win, SO YOU WIN!'

I don't think so, Tim.

If they regretted the purchase, then it's a different story.

The problem is what people are willing to pay isn't a static thing. It changes, especially in the last few seconds. My max might be $500, but when I see that outbid notice, I don't care and I'm bidding another $5. Also had plenty of would be buyers email right after the end offering 10-15% more than the ending price.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2020 02:37PM by C(-)ris.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 25, 2020 02:48PM
N-OS X-tasy!
mikebw
N-OS X-tasy!
M A V I C

This.

I set it and forget it. A few moments on eSnipe and then it's just a matter of waiting for the notification e-mail to arrive.

I’d still have regret. You still have a maximum amount it’ll go, correct? If someone else loads eSnipe for a dollar more, that’ll suck.

I look at it this way. I wait until about 15 seconds are left and then go for it. If I still get sniped, it “wasn’t meant to be” and I move on with my life.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 25, 2020 02:51PM
The problem is what people are willing to pay isn't a static thing.

Regardless, my point is still what any individual is willing to pay is what they are willing to pay and if it gets them what they want, then they've won.

That one doesn't know what one is willing to pay until it's too late, is a problem and that makes them a loser.

I'm only talking about the 'winner', whom unless they regret paying what they did, is a winner.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: November 25, 2020 03:12PM
JPK

JPK

I do the same thing... EXCEPT the "highest amount I want to pay" is always done through a snipe. wink smiley

Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 25, 2020 03:59PM
A winner is when a seller sets a Buy It Now price that is way below market and you are first to click BIN. I’ve won some very nice items that way, usually bigger ticket items like two cars as well as a PowerBook G4 for less than half price. I’m a patient buyer, waiting months or even years for the right price on the right item.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: November 25, 2020 04:05PM
deckeda
N-OS X-tasy!
mikebw
N-OS X-tasy!
M A V I C

This.

I’d still have regret. You still have a maximum amount it’ll go, correct? If someone else loads eSnipe for a dollar more, that’ll suck.

I look at it this way. I wait until about 15 seconds are left and then go for it. If I still get sniped, it “wasn’t meant to be” and I move on with my life.

There's nothing to keep you from checking in on the auction to see if bidding has exceeded your preset Not-To-Exceed price and increasing it if you want the item badly enough.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: November 25, 2020 04:31PM
Speedy
I’m a patient buyer, waiting months or even years for the right price on the right item.

Just make sure you're adjusting that "right price" as the years go by! wink smiley
Date: November 25, 2020 06:12PM
N-OS X-tasy!
There's nothing to keep you from checking in on the auction to see if bidding has exceeded your preset Not-To-Exceed price and increasing it if you want the item badly enough.

These sniper programs automatically bid for you at the literal last second. So there's no time for second chances and reconsiderations. I was sitting there at 10pm sitting pretty as the high bidder, watching the Live countdown timer on eBay; 00:00:05, 00:00:04, 00:00:03, 00:00:02, <the price suddenly goes up by $43, one dollar past your limit in one shot> price jumps from $101 to $143 in one shot, 00:00:01, 00:00:00. Auction ends. Have a good night.

The preset limit I entered was a rational decision. I weighed my desire, with my bank account, with my common sense. And rationally entered a price. In the heat of the moment this "rational price" many times goes out the window. And people go on bidding frenzies. What's another $20? I have $20 in my wallet right now. Oooohh... OK. $20 more! Not enough? Maaan, this bidder is stubborn. Ok, ok. ONE LAST bid for another $20. Doh! Still not enough....

I'm over it. The ending price was too much money for a fancy chess board. There are new chess boards for 75% of what I bid. I'll be fine with playing on one of those like the lowly pawn that I am. Hah.

Posted by: wurm
Date: November 25, 2020 06:28PM
And remember, even if your adjusted your limit up to something outrageous (in your mind), the other person may have set a limit that much more outrageous, and you'll never know. In the words of Ron Popeil:

Date: November 25, 2020 08:13PM
d4
N-OS X-tasy!

These sniper programs automatically bid for you at the literal last second. So there's no time for second chances and reconsiderations. I was sitting there at 10pm sitting pretty as the high bidder, watching the Live countdown timer on eBay; 00:00:05, 00:00:04, 00:00:03, 00:00:02, <the price suddenly goes up by $43, one dollar past your limit in one shot> price jumps from $101 to $143 in one shot, 00:00:01, 00:00:00. Auction ends. Have a good night.

You missed my point. Say your NTE price is outbid with six hours remaining before the auction ends. You would still have up to six hours to check the auction and decide whether you wished to increase your NTE bid.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 26, 2020 06:29AM
“Sales of chess sets have skyrocketed, says Mary Higbe, director of marketing at Goliath Games. The company sells six different kinds of chess sets, including those familiar red-boxed Pressman sets you've probably seen in the toy aisle at Walmart.

"Our October sales for chess were up 178% over the same period last year," Higbe says. That's a big increase. But something else unexpected happened at the end of the month. Now, she says, "our chess sales are up 1,048%."

[www.npr.org]

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 96
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020