advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Active Noise Cancelling BT in-ear headphones - some comparisons
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 26, 2020 03:25PM
I happen to work with these professionally, and so I've tested all but the latest Jabra in-person. I thought I'd start a thread with basic info and thoughts, feel free to post questions here. I recommend using ANC for any environment with regular noise exposure, these have kept me from losing more hearing due to airplane and other environmental auditory exposures.

Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) is cool science - anti-noise. Good versions of this with control is right now best in $200+ BT in-ear headphones. Other models (including a version we like from Amazon) are a compromise. So comparing name-brand here. Top ones (I will add model numbers later):

Sony - was first out the gate. They sound good and work well with google assistant and android phones. Work ok via BT and iPhones. They have a great microphone for phone calls, zoom call audio. They have a medium-sized case that works in my pocket. They are large, however, and I had a harder time getting the to fit well in my ear. YMMV. Good ANC - likely good enough for an airplane trip.

Apple AirProds Pro - Very convenient, small, great in Apple walled garden. Sound is far better than I expected in such a small device. Case is tiny, wireless and super convenient. I found ear fit to be excellent using smaller earbud pieces. Rubber earplugs that are a PITA to get replaced from Apple, but there are third party options too. Middling ANC; will not take out all airplane noise. But fine to take out lawnmower etc noise. Despite limitations, I use them as my daily drivers except when on an airplane or other serious sound exposure (which is not common today, but I see in my future). I would consider Apple Care if you are going to use them all the time.

Bose - they just came out, their sound is really amazing and a true step up above Apple. Best ANC of the bunch as well - nearly as good as the Quiet Comforts when fit is good. Comfortable to use and are secure (do not fall out of ear like the Sony's can). Audio mic not as good as Sony, but quite usable. Case is ridiculous in size - like 2.5 the size of Apple; this is a potential negative if too large for your pockets (just fits in mine - barely). I have not tried on plane, but I will do so (a lot smaller than carrying QCs for example).

Jabra - just came out. Good recent review here: [www.theverge.com]

All others I know like Amazon, Google etc are a compromise in their ANC - clearly below Apple. Happy to handle those specifics as interested.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2020 03:41PM by sekker.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Active Noise Cancelling BT in-ear headphones - some comparisons
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: November 26, 2020 03:38PM
There are aftermarket tips available for the AirPod Pros. They work really well.
Date: November 26, 2020 03:41PM
macphanatic
There are aftermarket tips available for the AirPod Pros. They work really well.

Thank you - I have updated.
Posted by: vision63
Date: November 26, 2020 04:14PM
I have the Jabra Elite Active 75T's and they sound incredible.
Date: November 26, 2020 04:16PM
vision63

They added digital, pseudo ANC from a recent update. See review above. Looks like a good non-full ANC option.
Posted by: vision63
Date: November 26, 2020 09:16PM
sekker
vision63

They added digital, pseudo ANC from a recent update. See review above. Looks like a good non-full ANC option.

I did the upgrade and I since I workout with them, I more need to hear what's going on around me. The Jabra app is the best one to me. I have the Bose 700's and they've improved their app but the Jabra app is very specific. My Jabras have too much bass in my opinion, so I get to tone that down.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 28, 2020 09:41AM
so I get to tone that down.

I see what you did there.

LOL

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 46
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020