advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
You want 2x Internet for $15 less/month? Umm, yes?
Posted by: mikebw
Date: December 01, 2020 02:19PM
I've had FiOS 100/100 Internet only service for over 2 years now, started at $39.99/mo and went up to $54.99 after a year. I heard a friend say he was able to get a free upgrade to 200/200 during Black Friday. I decided to hit up the Verizon Chat and see what they could do for me.

They really wanted to sell me on the "Gig speed" plan for $79.99, and asked all kinds of questions about how many devices I had, work from home, streaming... I just asked what about 200/200? Then they said I could do 400/400 for $59.99, which was very tempting- 4x speed for only $5 per month, but again I asked what about 200/200?

Finally they said yes, I could get 200/200 for $39.99, but advised me that it would not be that much faster than what I have. Sure I said, I'll just take that one please. RollingEyesSmiley5

They did note that this would require an ONT upgrade however, which they said as long as the router remained within 6 feet of that I could do it myself for free. I asked if that was an Ethernet / coax cabling issue, but they were not able to say.

I do have kind of a non-standard arrangement with using an older FiOS router for DHCP and a slower WAP, connected to a newer FiOS router via Cat5e which has two more access points turned on. Will have to see if the older one can continue to run DHCP at the new speeds or if I need to switch to the newer one for assigning those IPs.

They are sending an ONT kit so it will be up to me, but as of today we are saving $15/mo, and will have double the bandwidth soon!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: You want 2x Internet for $15 less/month? Umm, yes?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: December 01, 2020 03:00PM
I'd like to hear why anyone would need faster than 100/100.

Are they moving video edits via dropbox?

Posted by: space-time
Date: December 01, 2020 03:09PM
mattkime

And I am curios why anyone needs more than 640kB of RAM
Date: December 01, 2020 03:12PM
mattkime

I do audio and video editing as part of my job, as well as the occasional collection of files into DVD sized ISO files that go onto Box.com. Every upload and download takes time and I will be able to max this out several times a day.

Also, it used to be just me working from home but now we have a full house. I'm the only one wired in so no wireless access concerns for my part but having more bandwidth to go around will be nice for everyone.

All that aside, the savings alone would have been enough for me to make the switch.
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 01, 2020 03:21PM
mattkime

I agree. I had 55/15 (DSL, so never shared) for a dozen years ($29 too!) and even with 3 peeps streaming plus me working (we often used over 1 GB a month) it never stuttered.

Now have comast 250/5 -- download are faster... I guess? Cant tell. But the upload is painful. Never really complained with 15 up, would love 100 =)

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: pdq
Date: December 01, 2020 03:53PM
You all make me sick (kidding! ...kinda...)

Currently paying XFinity $90/mo for service that is generally about 30 mbs download (and includes one landline, but no TV).

Was invited by T-Mobile for their new home internet service, which they said was “up to 150 mbs” (and which I assumed was going to be over 5G) for $50/mo. Yes please. Got the box the other day, and so far the max I’ve seen is 20 mbs (once), with more typically 5 mbs. And the box tells me it’s 4G, not 5G.

Sloooow.

Before I send it back, I have to try the tech support thing to make sure I’m not doing something wrong, but here in the suburbs of Mpls/St Paul, I think we must have one of the crappiest internet options for a metro area in the world.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 01, 2020 03:56PM
We pay more and get less from our local cable monopoly. (Okay, not a monopoly, we can get satellite or I can tether to my iPhone.)

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: December 01, 2020 04:32PM
I pay $100/mo for 50Mbps... and get closer to 30.

Starlink cannot get here fast enough for me to take my cable modem back to the local office, smashed into small pieces and dump it on the desk and say "I quit"... (yes, I'll pay the fee for a busted cable box...).

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: carl
Date: December 01, 2020 05:03PM
My internet costs $80.00/month for 300Mbps down and 30Mbps up, with a 1200 GB cap on data. Sparklight (used to be called CableOne) is my provider. At this moment I'm getting 335Mbps down and 31 Mbps up.

It's way more than I need, my son uses most of it as a college student. Almost all his course work is being completed online right now. He is studying cybersecurity and even before COVID he was a big user.

Last month we had an 8 hour outage and Sparklight reduced the bill by $5.00 for the month. It was completely unexpected and I imagine they didn't have to reduce the bill, so that was nice of them. I hear lots of people talking about poor cable service, but my seven years with CableOne/Sparklight have really been great

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2020 05:23PM by carl.
Posted by: kj
Date: December 01, 2020 06:16PM
We get 100/50 for around 80/mo. When my wife is doing Zoom, I'm doing my work stuff, and my son is doing Zoom for class, we need all we can get. I think latency might be more important for a lot of things, and we get a pretty solid 20ms or less, so I think that helps. Internet is quite a racket though, for sure. We've thought about switching from Centurylink to Sparklight, but I'm definitely worried about the data caps Sparklight has.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: December 01, 2020 06:19PM
in the outlands of Ocala fla, $50 8m/2m bDSL.
fkn joke.
On LI, paying FiOS 50/50, getting 100/100 for $57.
I was thinking about getting Gbit and inviting all the neighbors.
What a sales pitch. Could prolly stuff my car down that.

!#$@@$#!
Date: December 01, 2020 09:12PM
mikebw
I do audio and video editing as part of my job, as well as the occasional collection of files into DVD sized ISO files that go onto Box.com. Every upload and download takes time and I will be able to max this out several times a day.

What top speed do you see on these transfers? I'm curious how much of that 100/100 (mb?) gets used.

Posted by: sekker
Date: December 01, 2020 11:03PM
mattkime

I concur. The only example in our household where 100/100 is not more than enough is when uploading a church video on a deadline. But that’s now no longer an issue since our parish livestreams as well.

I suppose running a gaming server could need more but I’m not doing anything beyond a Minecraft server.
Date: December 02, 2020 08:21AM
mattkime
mikebw

What top speed do you see on these transfers? I'm curious how much of that 100/100 (mb?) gets used.

With MenuMeters I regularly see 12MB/sec or more, up and down.
Date: December 02, 2020 11:44AM
mikebw
MenuMeters I regularly see 12MB/sec or more, up and down.

Ah, good idea!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 100
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020