advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Stage pepper gel or self defense items in multiple places at home: Woman recording social media video as intruder enters her apartment
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: December 01, 2020 10:48PM
While home invasion and public attacks are not commonplace, it doesn't hurt to carry a pepper gel or other protective devices on your person.

In the home it is a good idea to stage self defense devices where appropriate.

Training your significant others or family on how to use these items is also a good idea to develop muscle memory as that would take over in a high intensity event.

A woman in Hagerstown Maryland was recording video for TikTok when an intruder enters her apartment through a balcony door. Fortunately she was able to run out of her apartment. Had the layout been different or her awareness not sharp, this could have ended differently. She believe he had been watching her for some time in the apartment complex. Would be much crazier story had she been sleeping. Below I link pepper gel and a cheap door alarm that can be set for chime or alert via wireless remote.

The story of the intruder [www.nbcnewyork.com]

I carry pepper gel on me mostly for when I jog but also keep it on me just in case. I practice awareness of my surroundings and don't get lost in my phone out in public. If I can avoid a self defense scenario and run like the wind, I'll take it. Awareness buys time and options. Pepper gel is better than the spray because it is a slime, not aerosol. You are much less likely to contaminate yourself if you need to use it.

Door alarms with remote control for chime or alarm $18 [www.amazon.com]

Smaller pepper gel with waistband clip $10 [www.amazon.com]

More powerful stream for home use $39
[www.ebay.com]

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Stage pepper gel or self defense items in multiple places at home: Woman recording social media video as intruder enters her apartment
Posted by: mattkime
Date: December 01, 2020 10:53PM
You've mentioned the pepper gel several times. How do you address having it in the house AND having kids. Curiosity....

Re: Stage pepper gel or self defense items in multiple places at home: Woman recording social media video as intruder enters her apartment
Posted by: davester
Date: December 01, 2020 11:01PM
Deceptive subject line. This story has nothing to do with pepper gel.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: December 01, 2020 11:03PM
mattkime
You've mentioned the pepper gel several times. How do you address having it in the house AND having kids. Curiosity....

The same way you address having anything dangerous and kids? When they are small? Keep it locked up, out of reach, and inaccessible to them. Once they are old/big enough to get into anything, then you have to decide if THEY are responsible enough for YOU to keep them in the house.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: December 01, 2020 11:13PM
davester

I tried to tie it all together in the body of my post. The woman did not have anything on her to defend herself. Had the layout been different or if she had been sleeping, we may have had a different outcome. Had she had upper gel or another self defense device nearby, it would increase her chances of survival. In this case, she hd the door nearby and ran out. She is fortunate he didn't persuade her. All of her neighbors doors are closed and she was barefoot.

I am encouraging people to take precautions they feel works for them.

mattkime

That's why I use the term "appropriate". It may not be suitable for household with small children or people who do not know how to use it.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 01, 2020 11:37PM
pRICE cUBE
run like the wind,

For me, that ship sailed a long time ago.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: December 01, 2020 11:37PM
C(-)ris
Keep it locked up, out of reach, and inaccessible to them.

Doesn't that go against the whole 'have it available in a moment's notice' thing?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: December 01, 2020 11:38PM
I watched the video. She reacted very well. Got out , went to the neighbor, all while recording.

Home invaders are often armed. Bringing pepper spray to a gunfight won’t end well... Escape and evade and call for help.
Posted by: davester
Date: December 02, 2020 12:05AM
cbelt3
Home invaders are often armed. Bringing pepper spray to a gunfight won’t end well... Escape and evade and call for help.

Totally agree. Precious seconds would be wasted fumbling for the pepper spray and attempting to aim it at the attacker when you should be trying to escape or get help, not going on the attack. Not to mention that when the attacker sees you going for a weapon (i.e. the spray) he is likely to go after you more aggressively.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: December 02, 2020 01:42AM
mattkime
C(-)ris
Keep it locked up, out of reach, and inaccessible to them.

Doesn't that go against the whole 'have it available in a moment's notice' thing?

Depends on your definition of moments notice. If you are talking about sleeping with it under your pillow, yea, that is out. In your night stand in a small safe with finger print recognition and trigger lock would be perfectly safe and accessible in 5 seconds.

If you are awake just keep it on your person, not in your purse or jacket, on your person.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 02, 2020 02:03AM

BS comment.

Precious seconds would be wasted fumbling for the pepper spray and attempting to aim it at the attacker when you should be trying to escape or get help, not going on the attack. Not to mention that when the attacker sees you going for a weapon (i.e. the spray) he is likely to go after you more aggressively.

You experts do like to make your assumptions and one-size fits all conclusions.

You've both painted no-win scenarios and assumed that someone will always have the opportunity to escape, and have completely ignore the fact that pRICE has stated one should run.

Idiocy.

Nobody knows exactly what someone illegally entering a residence is going to do. There is no one answer that addresses every situation of being attacked in one's home.

IF there's actually a home invasion, the odds of somebody escaping are slim, and the more people in the house the less likely an exodus is successful. Entry is gained by deception or brute force.

Good luck trying to escape once two or three bad guys are in the door. If it's just you, maybe you have a chance. Significant other? Kids? Gather them up and escape when you're already at a disadvantage?

What about if it's just one suspect? What if he can run faster than you? I'd bet money that any person or persons willing to break into an occupied house are in better physical shape than the victims in the house, and I bet better than many of you.

Sure, make like a gazelle. Those of you who can. But sometimes one has to engineer their escape, not everyone can do it bare handed. Yes it happens - sometimes.

A firearm is my choice for home defense. There's a reason, and it's not necessary for me to explain my defense of choice. But it's certainly not the answer for everyone.

So tell me - what do you do when somebody has broken into your residence, maybe armed with a knife, maybe a gun, maybe not at all, and your kids are asleep.

Do you run and leave everyone else behind? I'll be generous and assume not. Sometimes running is not the answer. Sometimes you have to make an effort to defend yourself, if only to give others a chance to escape.

It's quite literally all a situation. There are no guarantees. None that you will escape, none that you will successfully defend yourself. None that you will survive. But if you are to, you have to have a plan and if need be, the ability to make your escape.

Pepper spray could be the answer. As with any tool, familiarity is mandatory. With that fog, accuracy is less critical and it's easy to walk it into the suspect. Knowing how to quickly activate it is important.

Most violent offenders never expect their victims to mount any kind of defense, unless they're robbing a stash house. And there's nothing wrong with leaving a contrail of pepper spray while effecting escape.

Stashing spray around the home isn't a bad idea. Keep it high, and hopefully the kids will keep out of it.

It's about making the best decisions you can in the situation that's presented.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: December 02, 2020 02:39AM
Speedy
pRICE cUBE
run like the wind,

Sail like the wind? smiley-laughing001

It is what it is.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: December 02, 2020 05:38AM
cbelt3

As someone who has been on the receiving end of both pepper gel* (slight exposure) and CS gas, you forget all about any 'weapons' you might be armed with.
(*the $39 big can pRICE linked to)
Based on my recollection, the pepper gel is much worse than the '60s era CS gas.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: December 02, 2020 07:26AM
Seen the video?

"Are you my friend?"

Dude was high and very very confused. Just wanted to leave, and did so.

Yes, she was vulnerable to a potentially violent home-invasion. This wasn't it.

The charges seem excessive, but then again, she's white and he's not and she got a lot of publicity.

Posted by: rz
Date: December 02, 2020 07:34AM
RAMd®d

You've both painted no-win scenarios and assumed that someone will always have the opportunity to escape, and have completely ignore the fact that pRICE has stated one should run.

Idiocy.

I don't think they've assumed that at all. I have to take Active Shooter training at work every year. The main point they drive home is: Run, Hide, Fight. In other words, the first thing you should try to do in an Active Shooter situation (which also applies to a home invasion) is Run. If it's not possible for you to run away, your next option is to hide. Your last option is to Fight. Now, in a home invasion, hiding probably isn't the best option. In an Active Shooter situation, it's assumed that someone has started shooting, and law enforcement has been notified. Help is (or should be) on the way. Probably not the case in a home invasion.

RAMd®d
Nobody knows exactly what someone illegally entering a residence is going to do. There is no one answer that addresses every situation of being attacked in one's home.

I agree there is no one answer, but almost every law enforcement officer will tell you that if you get the chance to escape, it's your best bet. Sure, if the invader is blocking your escape route, that option isn't really there anymore.

RAMd®d
What about if it's just one suspect? What if he can run faster than you? I'd bet money that any person or persons willing to break into an occupied house are in better physical shape than the victims in the house, and I bet better than many of you.

Unless the invader is either a stalker looking to sexually assault someone, or looking to kill you, they're not going to chase you. They're likely looking to rob you. If they came looking for cash or valuables, they're not going to go running after someone who has left.
Date: December 02, 2020 07:36AM
I would recommend something like pepper gel or other self defense equipment for the following where appropriate:

1. Elderly populations - Not every age group can run or fight off an attacker.

2. People smaller in stature - May have a lot of fight in them but may not be able to match power with an aggressor.

3. People with young ones - Can't always run if you are with one or more young ones. Situations such as loading and unloading youngsters from a car can get complicated if one has to deal with an aggressor.

4. People who have disabilities - Depending on the disability, these individuals may be especially vulnerable to aggressors. Limited mobility and speed may make fleeing quickly very difficult.

Date: December 02, 2020 07:45AM
Sarcany
Seen the video?

"Are you my friend?"

Dude was high and very very confused. Just wanted to leave, and did so.

Yes, she was vulnerable to a potentially violent home-invasion. This wasn't it.

The charges seem excessive, but then again, she's white and he's not and she got a lot of publicity.

It doesn't matter of the guy is high or meant any harm. By climbing to a second story balcony and unlawfully entering and violating the sanctity of her home is highly threatening. She doesn't need to figure out why he is there, he shouldn't be. Because he was seen early, he may have had a change of plans from his original intent for entering her home. She said, "I was prepared to die" so he wasn't giving off the best of vibes. There are consequences for climbing up into a person's apartment and entering without consent, "high" or not.

A home five doors away from me had a stranger enter their home muttering and would't leave. The person was a definite threat to the occupants inside whether he was high or not. This family had left the back door wide open to air out the room and small children upstairs. Fortunately the intruder was expelled with minimal physical force and no one was hurt. Police responded quickly but didn't;t arrive until 10-15 minutes after the first call. A lot can happen in 10-15 minutes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2020 08:04AM by pRICE cUBE.
Date: December 02, 2020 07:47AM
N-OS X-tasy!
Speedy
pRICE cUBE
run like the wind,

Sail like the wind? smiley-laughing001

To defend myself, I will break wind if the need arises. emoticon_love

Posted by: pdq
Date: December 02, 2020 09:23AM
Here in St Paul recently, there was a guy under the influence of something and, among a string of misdeeds, took a moment to go into a stranger’s house and take some orange juice out of their refrigerator. (And then he left.)

Did I mention he was naked during all this?

Fortunately, the only person physically hurt during this spree was the suspect himself.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: December 02, 2020 10:58AM
RAMd®d

BS comment.

Precious seconds would be wasted fumbling for the pepper spray and attempting to aim it at the attacker when you should be trying to escape or get help, not going on the attack. Not to mention that when the attacker sees you going for a weapon (i.e. the spray) he is likely to go after you more aggressively.

Idiocy.

IF there's actually a home invasion, the odds of somebody escaping are slim, and the more people in the house the less likely an exodus is successful. Entry is gained by deception or brute force.

Good luck trying to escape once two or three bad guys are in the door. If it's just you, maybe you have a chance. Significant other? Kids? Gather them up and escape when you're already at a disadvantage?

Sure, make like a gazelle. Those of you who can. But sometimes one has to engineer their escape, not everyone can do it bare handed. Yes it happens - sometimes.

A firearm is my choice for home defense. There's a reason, and it's not necessary for me to explain my defense of choice. But it's certainly not the answer for everyone.

So tell me - what do you do when somebody has broken into your residence, maybe armed with a knife, maybe a gun, maybe not at all, and your kids are asleep.

Do you run and leave everyone else behind? I'll be generous and assume not. Sometimes running is not the answer. Sometimes you have to make an effort to defend yourself, if only to give others a chance to escape.

It's quite literally all a situation. There are no guarantees. None that you will escape, none that you will successfully defend yourself. None that you will survive. But if you are to, you have to have a plan and if need be, the ability to make your escape.

Pepper spray could be the answer. As with any tool, familiarity is mandatory. With that fog, accuracy is less critical and it's easy to walk it into the suspect. Knowing how to quickly activate it is important.

Most violent offenders never expect their victims to mount any kind of defense, unless they're robbing a stash house. And there's nothing wrong with leaving a contrail of pepper spray while effecting escape.

Stashing spray around the home isn't a bad idea. Keep it high, and hopefully the kids will keep out of it.

It's about making the best decisions you can in the situation that's presented.

Pepper spray doesn't stop everyone in their tracks. Especially those that are hopped up on something. Firearm or taser will.
Date: December 02, 2020 11:03AM
macphanatic
Pepper spray doesn't stop everyone in their tracks. Especially those that are hopped up on something. Firearm or taser will.

There have been cases where people on the influence of drugs seem to not be bothered by chemical irritants whatsoever.

I can't recall the percentage but there are some that are not affected by pepper products. I think it is 2%. Also, pepper gel doesn't work as quickly on some people so even if you must deploy the spray, you must still evade and fight if possible.

Date: December 02, 2020 11:30AM
pRICE cUBE
macphanatic

There have been cases where people on the influence of drugs seem to not be bothered by chemical irritants whatsoever.

I can't recall the percentage but there are some that are not affected by pepper products. I think it is 2%. Also, pepper gel doesn't work as quickly on some people so even if you must deploy the spray, you must still evade and fight if possible.

I have 2 friends who are retired Military operators. Commercially available and law enforcement pepper spray has no effect on either of them.

Edit: They told me that it does cause their eyes to itch and a bit of a runny nose, but nothing that would slow them down at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2020 11:31AM by macphanatic.
Date: December 02, 2020 11:34AM
pRICE cUBE
It doesn't matter of the guy is high or meant any harm. By climbing to a second story balcony and unlawfully entering and violating the sanctity of her home is highly threatening. She doesn't need to figure out why he is there, he shouldn't be. Because he was seen early, he may have had a change of plans from his original intent for entering her home. She said, "I was prepared to die" so he wasn't giving off the best of vibes. There are consequences for climbing up into a person's apartment and entering without consent, "high" or not.

He did represent a threat. Definitely.

I'm just saying that there's more to the story than in the OP's link and that there's some racism and classism going on, as well as the cops throwing the book at him seemingly because the victim has been exploiting this all over TV and she's white.

Bugs me when you only get a small part of the story from what's supposed to be a news site.

Date: December 02, 2020 11:50AM
Sarcany
pRICE cUBE

I'm just saying that there's more to the story than in the OP's link and that there's some racism and classism going on, as well as the cops throwing the book at him seemingly because the victim has been exploiting this all over TV and she's white.

Bugs me when you only get a small part of the story from what's supposed to be a news site.

Your concerns are more appropriate for conversation on the other forum.

On this side, I am purely talking about threats to a person's safety in the sanctity of the home and how to defend one's self or family. Just because the man didn't actually put a hand on her, doesn't mean he didn't show up to harm her. She was quick enough to thwart his attempt.

Date: December 02, 2020 12:16PM
Sarcany
pRICE cUBE

Sorry, but that's the problem with society today. We don't hold people accountable for their actions. He climbed onto a balcony. It's not like he accidentally walked in the wrong door. I don't care what his race, religion or any other affiliation is. He broke the law and at the very least created a sense of danger to the occupant who had no idea what his intent was.

If we started holding everyone regardless of who or what they are accountable for their behavior and actions, we won't be in the mess that we are in right now. Unfortunately, it's only going to get worse.
Date: December 02, 2020 05:58PM
macphanatic
Sorry, but that's the problem with society today. We don't hold people accountable for their actions. He climbed onto a balcony. It's not like he accidentally walked in the wrong door...

Except that from the video that's exactly what it looks like. He's totally confused as to how he got there.

...I never said he should get off with no charges. A drunk is responsible for his actions while intoxicated. He trespassed. He should be prosecuted for trespassing. Breaking and entering, maybe.

But they're charging him with "stalking, third-degree burglary, fourth-degree burglary, second-degree assault and malicious destruction of property."

They're stacking criminal charges in a manner that's usually forbidden. Assault means putting someone in apprehension of harm. Burglary is the commission of a second crime while trespassing. He's being charged with burglary because of the assault, but assault is the lesser included crime for burglary and should be preempted by the burglary charge.

And "stalking?" This seems to be based on the woman's statement that she has seen him hanging out with a neighbor and he looked at her.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2020 06:07PM by Sarcany.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 03, 2020 03:43PM
I don't think they've assumed that at all.

Not true.

The main point they drive home is: Run, Hide, Fight. In other words, the first thing you should try to do in an Active Shooter situation (which also applies to a home invasion) is Run

Nobody is suggesting otherwise if that's an option.

Again, it's a situation. In a commercial or business setting, other than armed security there are very likely no defensive devices, and potentially more barriers and hiding places, and possible escape routes than many homes.

Small businesses and mansions could be extreme exceptions.

but almost every law enforcement officer will tell you that if you get the chance to escape, it's your best bet.

And nobody here has said anything contrary, and I have said the same.

I have specifically addressed a situation where that might not be possible and how pepper spray or gel might make that a possibility.

Unless the invader is either a stalker looking to sexually assault someone, or looking to kill you, they're not going to chase you.

That's a huge assumption, true generally only if a potential victim can actually make good an escape, and in a populated area.

'Excuse me, but before I decide on flight or fight mode, would you state your purpose for illegally entering my domicile?'

If they came looking for cash or valuables...

Maybe you hadn't noticed, but that's a big if, when you're the one (or one of many) in the house.

And there's usually very little advance notice or time to decide, if and when that time comes.

Based on my recollection, the pepper gel is much worse than the '60s era CS gas.

Yes.

The military stopped using CS (Cry Sometime) and went to CN (Cry Now).

Mace was once both CS and CN, but later went CN only.

My only exposure to gas was a drop of CN on my cheek to see if I was allergic, and a walk through the gas house to see if I could wear a gas mask properly, and I did.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 124
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020