advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Weird credit card fraud experience
Posted by: rz
Date: December 02, 2020 08:16PM
Today I got a text from one of my credit cards, saying they locked my card because they suspected fraud. They sent two charges as asked if I had made them. I had not. So I did as they said and replied with an "N" for no. They immediately texted back saying they locked the account, and would call, which they did almost immediately. This was when things got weird.

The woman asked for another phone number so that they could call to verify. The message sent a code number, which I gave to her. Then she said that they were unable to verify my identity because the line was not secure (it's an Ooma line, not a true land line). Ok. So she said she was going to send me a link to a website, and that I would have to send a 5 second video of myself. WTF? I went off on the the woman. I told her that I'd never had to go through this kind of rigamaroll before. Other credit card companies ask for your address, or last four of your SSN, mother's maiden name. I hung up on her and called the number on my card. It truly was a legit text and call. There were two fraudulent charges, which I told the guy I didn't make. He asked for last four of SSN and address to verify my identity. They closed the account and are sending me new cards.

WTF would they ask for me to send a 5 second video and send it to them? How would that verify my identity? They don't know what I look like.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Weird credit card fraud experience
Posted by: GGD
Date: December 02, 2020 08:23PM
Could it be that the person that sent you the second text and called you was also the person that originated the fraudulent charge.

Best practice is that YOU initiate all calls, and only to the number on the back of your credit card.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 02, 2020 08:27PM
....that sounds like the person who committed the fraud......I don't think a credit card company will text you....and then send link....and then ask for video.....they were probably phishing you for more information that they could use to 'pretend to be you' for the credit card company to keep the fraud going for longer.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: December 02, 2020 08:33PM
What did the actual card company say about the video request?

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: mattkime
Date: December 02, 2020 08:36PM
I agree with others that said someone made two fraudulent charges and then contacted you but the more interesting question is why.

Posted by: MindMeld
Date: December 02, 2020 08:53PM
What would a 5 second video of you prove to the credit card company? Do they have a picture of you to compare? Of course that begs the question, what would the caller do with that video? That is very weird. You did exactly what you needed to do.
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 02, 2020 08:54PM
The woman asked for another phone number so that they could call to verify. The message sent a code number, which I gave to her.

it seems to me they were trying to trick you to provide them with the 2FA code.

NEVER EVER DO THIS!
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 02, 2020 08:54PM
mattkime
I agree with others that said someone made two fraudulent charges and then contacted you but the more interesting question is why.

to bypass 2FA.
Date: December 02, 2020 08:57PM
....the red flag was asking for another number......most companies will verify using the number they have on file......not ask for another number....

Posted by: Sarcany
Date: December 02, 2020 09:16PM
Weird.

When scammers ask you to make a video or audio recording, they prompt you to say certain phrases. These phrases are spliced into audio/video verification of your acceptance of various "slamming" style charges to your phone or signup for new services.

I've never heard of a legit reason for a CC company to request a video of you. Nothing about it from a quick Googling, either.

...In the future, jump straight to the call to the number on the back of your card. Don't reply to unsolicited text messages.

Edit: Did find this:
[www.creditcards.com]

Are you using Wells Fargo? Apparently they do use face-biometrics in some circumstances.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2020 09:22PM by Sarcany.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: December 02, 2020 09:23PM
space-time
mattkime

to bypass 2FA.

oooph, yuuuuuup.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 03, 2020 04:31AM
Scam. I usually give my card number and then she sends the video.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 03, 2020 07:39AM
Speedy
Scam. I usually give my card number and then she sends the video.

smiley-laughing001

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: richorlin
Date: December 03, 2020 09:51AM
Sarcany
Weird.

When scammers ask you to make a video or audio recording, they prompt you to say certain phrases. These phrases are spliced into audio/video verification of your acceptance of various "slamming" style charges to your phone or signup for new services.

I've never heard of a legit reason for a CC company to request a video of you. Nothing about it from a quick Googling, either.

...In the future, jump straight to the call to the number on the back of your card. Don't reply to unsolicited text messages.

Edit: Did find this:
[www.creditcards.com]

Are you using Wells Fargo? Apparently they do use face-biometrics in some circumstances.

This is why I never answer a call with "Yes?", only "Hello".
A recorded "yes" can authorize a slew of unwanted charges.

richorlin
Posted by: rz
Date: December 03, 2020 10:11AM
Sarcany

No, it was Sycnrony. I told the guy on the number I called what happened, but he didn't really comment on it. Anyway, the old account is closed, so they can't perpetrate any more fraud. And they snagged the first one, which was for about $68. They declined it, and another one shortly after. I only use this card at BP stations (it's a BP Visa), and Home Depot.
Date: December 03, 2020 10:49AM
....any link you click on can potentially download a bug/malware/spyware......

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 03, 2020 05:06PM
I told the guy on the number I called what happened, but he didn't really comment on it.

I would have pressed on to get a definitive answer.

If 'yes', I'd want to know why.

It could be used in further fraudulent charges, to either eliminate or ID you.

But over the phone from a cold call?

No way, and maybe not under any circumstance.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 210
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020