advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Knife set recs? Looking for mid level/good value block set
Posted by: Bo
Date: December 03, 2020 01:03PM
Looking to get a knife set for adult stepson that is of decent quality but also a good value. He cooks a fair amount but not chef level. So many choices out there that it's overwhelming. Many with almost identical names. Hoping someone might have some first hand recommendations.

Hoping to get a set with:

Paring knife
Serrated bread knife
Serrated short knife
Utility knife
Chef knife
Santoku knife ?
Don't need filler steak knives/shears

Looking to spend $100-150

Any input appreciated!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Knife set recs? Looking for mid level/good value block set
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 03, 2020 01:05PM
....to paraphrase from 'Kill Bill'......Hattori Hanzo......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2020 01:06PM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: Z
Date: December 03, 2020 01:10PM
Will just say for the record that the Kiwi knives from Thailand are that magical mix of cheap, sharp, and hold a blade well. Add in a steel to keep the sharp bits sharp and he'll be good to go.

[www.wokshop.com]
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: December 03, 2020 01:21PM
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: December 03, 2020 01:32PM
Kiwi knives are incredibly sharp and cheap -- easy to sharpen but you could toss them and buy new for years compared to the expensive knives. They aren't much to look at, but they cut.

Otherwise, just go to a restaurant supply house and get a set there. They will all be of decent quality and less costly than you'll find at consumer retail.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Michael
Date: December 03, 2020 01:45PM
I am sure this will be blasphemous to some of the forumites, but I've never been able to keep knives sharp despite buying devices and reading books. I just wouldn't sharpen them on any schedule and they'd get so dull that I was lost. So, we finally bought a Calphalon set that has self-sharpening stones in the block. We bought it in 2017 and the blades are always sharp through today.

We bought this one but for $135 on Black Friday in 2017: [www.amazon.com]

But you can buy sets from various manufacturers without the steak knives, as well.
Posted by: Buck
Date: December 03, 2020 02:32PM
I would recommend these:
[www.japanny.com]

Regrettably, the $2100 knives are sold out.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: December 03, 2020 02:32PM
I got a Kiwi #171 for $7 and now I don't touch my $100+ Wusthof Classic 8" chef's knife but maybe twice a year. I use a $1 Dollar Tree bread/tomato knife. I use a couple of Chicago Cutley knives daddy passed down. Spending that amount of money on that many knives is a bad idea, in my opinion
Posted by: hal
Date: December 03, 2020 04:56PM
I bought a pair of the Kiwis to test a few years ago and they were good, not great. They are very sharp, but lose the sharp edge very fast. Easy to resharpen, but then loses edge very quickly again.

Recently got a set of Ginsu knives and they are wonderful
Posted by: mattkime
Date: December 03, 2020 05:12PM
I vote for a lower cost knives. He can buy nice ones as it interests him.

I know that the full sets are popular but they don't make a lot of sense to me.

Posted by: hal
Date: December 03, 2020 05:27PM
mattkime
I vote for a lower cost knives. He can buy nice ones as it interests him.

I know that the full sets are popular but they don't make a lot of sense to me.

I can agree with this - buying the pair of knives that I got gave the the time to hunt for what I wanted, but in the end, I ended up inheriting a nice set.

And I have NEVER seen any 'set' that makes sense to me...
Posted by: August West
Date: December 03, 2020 07:03PM
+1, mix & match chef's, paring, and bread.

Apologies to the anonymous forum member affected by my previous sig pic. It was my personal pic of a country expressing great grief as their leader, one of the most recognized people in the world, lay on his deathbed 8 years ago, days before he died. Like a naif, I did not realize it was offensively political, I considered it an expression of deep emotion and a reminder of the mortal coil's nature; that we all, great and small, can only hope to make a difference in our short time here, no matter the personal cost.

I'll post another pic from my work in South Africa that is, hopefully, apolitical.

Date: December 03, 2020 07:07PM
Six or so knives for $100-150 are going to be very mediocre at best.
Posted by: Bo
Date: December 03, 2020 08:39PM
Thanks for all of the input...lots of valid points and opinions!

I guess I envision this as an intro kit to get him out of the cheap crap category but not necessarily the really good blades that he would add to for a full set. In my mind this is the set that has a little bit of everything that he uses for a year or two to see which types of knives he uses most (i.e. 5" serrated is a go to but the 10" carving never gets touched). Then he can start to build his own set of nicer blades down the road. May not play out that way at all though but that is my hope.

Those Kiwis are interesting and I may order one myself based on recommendations here.
Date: December 03, 2020 09:02PM
The best deal on the Kiwis is to get a 2-pack. My favorite is the #171.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: December 04, 2020 07:04AM
Bo,

Steer your stepson to building a kit of quality knives that he'll actually uses rather than buy a block of knives, many of which he'll never touch. I cook regularly. I use three knives all the time. Just three. Since all quality knives are sharp and will hold and edge well, it came down to design. I happen to like the design of Wüsthof classic knives. The handles fit my hand well and I like how they feel when I hold and use them.

That's the key. All quality knives will be sharp and hold an edge well (when used properly and sharpened properly). It comes down to design. For me, it was very important for me to like how the knives feel in my hand when I hold and use them. The shape and materials of the handle. The weight. The shape of the blade. The length.

The knives that work well for me or you isn't necessarily going be right for your stepson. Far from.

My primary knife is a Wüsthof Classic 7" Santoku as recommended by Wirecutter. My secondary is a Wüsthof pairing knife. My tertiary is a Wüsthof Classic chef's knife. I have various other quality knives including a meat slicing knife, bread knife, veggie knife and such. Rarely use them. The three Wusthuff knives cover 95% of my cooking needs. Each of these others was picked out at the time I needed it.

We use steak knives as table knives in our household for many meals. I wouldn't go near the recommendation from Wirecutter. Since these knives are used daily, I wanted something sharp and, most importantly, dishwasher-safe. Yups. Daily use table knives must be dishwasher-safe and that includes steak knives. The steak/table knives of choice are J.A. Henckels International Stainless Steel 8-Piece Steak Knife Set

[www.amazon.com]

The Henckels International aren't perfect. The handle is a little odd and my hands object to them now and again but I've gotten used to them now. However, they are sharp, hold an edge well and dishwasher-safe.

We use two different knife blocks. One is along these lines:

[www.amazon.com]

Works very well.

The other is this one:

[www.amazon.com]

Works very well.

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 87
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020