advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Didn't take long...I bricked my M1 MBA
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: December 03, 2020 09:00PM
Apparently there is a known issue if you try and do an erase and install right away. [www.ibtimes.com]

Oops.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Didn't take long...I bricked my M1 MBA
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 03, 2020 09:05PM
Winner!

Hope you get back up and running quickly.
Date: December 03, 2020 09:07PM
Reviving the firmware with Apple Configurator 2 right now. Hopefully that takes care of it.

Also, these machines have the classic Mac startup sound. Missed that with the newer hardware.

C(-)ris
Posted by: mattkime
Date: December 03, 2020 09:21PM
BRICK LEADERRRRR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2020 09:21PM by mattkime.
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: December 03, 2020 11:05PM
I feel for you, but the pop ups and rolling video on that linked site are too much - a full screen Dell ad took over the site and I couldn't even close it out

I have a feeling you're probably talking about this: [support.apple.com]

My daily record blog: [www.auditorymusings.com]
Subscribe here: [www.getrevue.co]

The Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs, Colorado
Posted by: August West
Date: December 03, 2020 11:09PM
mattkime
BRICK LEADERRRRR

jest smiley

Apologies to the anonymous forum member affected by my previous sig pic. It was my personal pic of a country expressing great grief as their leader, one of the most recognized people in the world, lay on his deathbed 8 years ago, days before he died. Like a naif, I did not realize it was offensively political, I considered it an expression of deep emotion and a reminder of the mortal coil's nature; that we all, great and small, can only hope to make a difference in our short time here, no matter the personal cost.

I'll post another pic from my work in South Africa that is, hopefully, apolitical.

Date: December 03, 2020 11:11PM
pinkoos
I feel for you, but the pop ups and rolling video on that linked site are too much - a full screen Dell ad took over the site and I couldn't even close it out

Sorry, I run AdBlocker so I didn't see any ads on it.

C(-)ris
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: December 03, 2020 11:14PM
C(-)ris
pinkoos

I thought I did too, but just noticed it's not up in my Safari toolbar - I wonder if it got lost when I upgraded to Big Sur
Date: December 04, 2020 01:29AM
pinkoos
C(-)ris
pinkoos

I thought I did too, but just noticed it's not up in my Safari toolbar - I wonder if it got lost when I upgraded to Big Sur

I use Chrome, but it is there in Big Sur.

I finally got the thing working, going through my list of app and there are some biggies that don't have support for M1 yet. Definitely not ready for primetime. I can't find printer drivers for anything that work. No Sharp, no HP, no Brother.

C(-)ris
Date: December 04, 2020 02:14AM
It got bricked again, different problem. Seriously. This is the 3rd time I've had to wipe this machine today because something rendered it completely unusable. All issues appear to be related to the T2 chip and "security". So many bugs, and they all seem to completely lock you out and force you to flash the firmware and start from scratch.

I have two machines right now, a 2018 MBA and a 2020 M1 MBA side by side. Both running Big Sur. Running through the same settings, apps, etc. The OS is fine, the 2018 has had no problems with anything I've been doing. It's one step forward, and two steps back then start over from scratch on the M1.

C(-)ris
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 04, 2020 06:07AM
Bummer.

I am curios how widespread this problem is. Is it related to particular hardware batch? or a particular combinations of Apps/Settings/etc?
Date: December 04, 2020 06:39AM
Bummer.

I did use Catalina Brother print drivers fir our AIO, works fine on our M1 MBA for printing and scanning.
Date: December 04, 2020 09:11AM
space-time
Bummer.

I am curios how widespread this problem is. Is it related to particular hardware batch? or a particular combinations of Apps/Settings/etc?

It is particular combinations of things you are trying to do. For that first issue, anyone who tries to Wipe the drive and reinstall the OS runs into the problem. FWIW, I updated to 11.0.1 and the latest firmware and it STILL doesn't let you do a normal erase and install. You have to restore the firmware and OS through Configurator on another machine.

The other bug I found is from trying to install any software that uses a Kernel extension. When you load the kernel extension the next time the machine reboots it goes into recovery mode to have you "approve" the new extension. BUT if you have a non Filevault enabled account as your only administrator account it won't work and you are stuck in the loop of rebooting and it telling you it can't find an admin account to approve the changes. At which point you are forced to wipe the dive and reinstall, which brings you back to the first problem where that doesn't work. I've wasted probably 20 hours of time just trying to reinstall the OS 3 times.

C(-)ris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2020 09:11AM by C(-)ris.
Date: December 04, 2020 09:41AM
C(-)ris
space-time
Bummer.

It is particular combinations of things you are trying to do. For that first issue, anyone who tries to Wipe the drive and reinstall the OS runs into the problem. FWIW, I updated to 11.0.1 and the latest firmware and it STILL doesn't let you do a normal erase and install. You have to restore the firmware and OS through Configurator on another machine.

The other bug I found is from trying to install any software that uses a Kernel extension. When you load the kernel extension the next time the machine reboots it goes into recovery mode to have you "approve" the new extension. BUT if you have a non Filevault enabled account as your only administrator account it won't work and you are stuck in the loop of rebooting and it telling you it can't find an admin account to approve the changes. At which point you are forced to wipe the dive and reinstall, which brings you back to the first problem where that doesn't work. I've wasted probably 20 hours of time just trying to reinstall the OS 3 times.

Ugh. I guess this makes deploying at scale with a central image file hard? We set our M1 MBA up as a new machine and did not try to copy over.
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 04, 2020 12:03PM
so sorry to hear about these problems... keep us posted and good luck!
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: December 04, 2020 12:55PM
Yikes is right. You could probably be YouTube famous by documenting these issues.
Posted by: testcase
Date: December 04, 2020 01:04PM
Does that make you a Loser Leader????? dunno smiley
Posted by: Acer
Date: December 04, 2020 02:55PM
Why did you start with erase and install on a factory-fresh machine?
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 04, 2020 04:18PM
Acer

It is SOP for large organizations that buy a hundred/thousand of a model and deploy a preconfigured OS image.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: vision63
Date: December 04, 2020 05:21PM
That sucks. I hope it's resolved by now. I'm still on the fence trading in my 2018 to grab one of those guys.
Date: December 04, 2020 06:42PM
vision63
That sucks. I hope it's resolved by now. I'm still on the fence trading in my 2018 to grab one of those guys.

If your software works, I would not hesitate to swap the 2018 model if you have the $$.
Posted by: hal
Date: December 05, 2020 02:53PM
vision63

STOP THAT! Your i7 mini will crush these M1 minis. Wait at the very least until the next version of these minis. But if you still decide to go that route, let me buy your mini for more than apple will give you.
Posted by: vision63
Date: December 05, 2020 07:35PM
hal
vision63

STOP THAT! Your i7 mini will crush these M1 minis. Wait at the very least until the next version of these minis. But if you still decide to go that route, let me buy your mini for more than apple will give you.

Okay. I gotta stop watching youtube. I'm so susceptible to hype.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: December 05, 2020 09:23PM
vision63
hal
vision63

Okay. I gotta stop watching youtube. I'm so susceptible to hype.

It's not hype. I think you just got snookered.

It is what it is.
Date: December 06, 2020 11:09PM
Acer

Because I used it first without any device management just to see how it worked without inducing any management framework. Also, we have found that devices sometimes work differently with how they are prepared from the factory vs how they work if you do an erase and restore. Also helps to have a baseline so you have an idea on what is causing problems or if the problems were there all along.

We don't push any images, we just wipe and internet restore and then apply our profiles and installers over top.

C(-)ris
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 149
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020