advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Can’t remember ancient history - how to move files from G4 PowerBook to internet or another computer?
Posted by: stephen
Date: December 06, 2020 02:18PM
There’s no USB.
Gets on WI-FI network.
Won’t log into Google Drive or iCloud (version of Safari too obsolete.
Shows an “iDisk” but won’t log into it.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Can’t remember ancient history - how to move files from G4 PowerBook to internet or another computer?
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: December 06, 2020 02:28PM
OS 9 or OS 10? Those did have USB, I'll assume those ports are dead? If FW is still working, maybe you have an old dual-port FW & USB drive that still works?
Re: Can’t remember ancient history - how to move files from G4 PowerBook to internet or another computer?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: December 06, 2020 02:29PM
Set up a samba file share ?
Date: December 06, 2020 02:36PM
It's OS 10.5.8.

I was pulling some items off a CD and this is the only device I have with a CD-ROM.

PowerBook G5 15" 1.25 GHz

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2020 02:37PM by stephen.
Posted by: PizzaGod
Date: December 06, 2020 02:55PM
Why not pull the hard drive and hook it up as an external?
Date: December 06, 2020 03:01PM
I figured out a way. Was able to log into a very basic version of Yahoo Mail and do small attachments!
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 06, 2020 03:16PM
boot into target disk mode and attach it to your current machine... wait do you have FireWire on your current machine???
Posted by: btfc
Date: December 06, 2020 04:08PM
[support.apple.com]
Posted by: hal
Date: December 06, 2020 05:00PM
file sharing!!!!! [support.apple.com]
Date: December 06, 2020 09:27PM
All good info for next time! Thank you.

And, duh: it did have a USB interface. It was just that the flash drive I was using was angled funny and wouldn't fit into the slot. I thought it was some kind of other weird plug-in.

Good to know alternate methods.
Posted by: Mr645
Date: December 07, 2020 06:19AM
Basic File Sharing should work. Just share the volume and connect to another Mac over the network
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 123
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020