advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
SteveGmas-The Birthday of the Grand Conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: December 06, 2020 03:29PM
Here's my Birthday Gift to you. So what are you going to give ME, huh?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2020 04:32PM by Steve G..
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: SteveGmas-The Day of the Grand Conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: December 06, 2020 03:34PM
Astronomers use the word conjunction to describe meetings of planets and other objects on our sky’s dome. They use the term great conjunction to describe meetings of the two biggest worlds in our solar system, mighty Jupiter and the glorious ringed planet Saturn.

The next great conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn will be December 21, 2020. That date is, coincidentally, the date of the December solstice SteveGmas. It’ll be the first Jupiter-Saturn conjunction since the year 2000, and the closest Jupiter-Saturn conjunction since 1623, only 14 years after Galileo made his first telescope. However, that conjunction was only 13 degrees east of the sun (closely following the sun at sunset), and it is considered unlikely that it was noticed by many.

The closest observable Jupiter-Saturn conjunction before that was as long ago as during medieval times, in 1226! At their closest in December, Jupiter and Saturn will be only 0.1 degree apart. That’s just 1/5 of a full moon diameter.
Re: SteveGmas-The Birthday of the Grand Conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn
Posted by: DP
Date: December 06, 2020 07:44PM
I'm going to try for pix-but here in SE lower MI this time of year chances are I won't see it...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Re: SteveGmas-The Birthday of the Grand Conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn
Posted by: gabester
Date: December 13, 2020 01:05AM
I know it's a lot to nitpick this, but can you reverse the large planet images so that Saturn is actually on the left and Jupiter on the right, in accordance with their actual position in the sky? This confused me for about 2 seconds.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 174
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020