advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
this blows [ in the wind ]?!.....Bob Dylan sells his entire song catalog for over $300 million.....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 07, 2020 05:55PM
.....is this one of the biggest disappointments for fans.....????

Bob Dylan Sells His Songwriting Catalog in Blockbuster Deal

Universal Music purchased his entire songwriting catalog of more than 600 songs in what may be the biggest acquisition ever of a single act’s publishing rights.

....Bob Dylan’s memoir “Chronicles: Volume One” opens in 1962 with the signing of his first music publishing deal — a contract for the copyrights of the budding songwriter’s work. The terms of that agreement, brokered by Lou Levy of Leeds Music Publishing, met young Dylan’s approval.

“Lou had advanced me a hundred dollars against future royalties to sign the paper,” he wrote, “and that was fine with me.”

Fifty-eight years, more than 600 songs and one Nobel Prize later, the cultural and economic value of Dylan’s songwriting corpus have both grown exponentially.

On Monday, the Universal Music Publishing Group announced that it had signed a landmark deal to purchase Dylan’s entire songwriting catalog — including world-changing classics like “Blowin’ in the Wind,” “The Times They Are A-Changin’” and “Like a Rolling Stone” — in what may be the biggest acquisition ever of the music publishing rights of a single songwriter.

The deal, which covers Dylan’s entire career, from his earliest tunes to his latest album, “Rough and Rowdy Ways,” was struck directly with Dylan, 79, who has long controlled the vast majority of his own songwriting copyrights.

The price was not disclosed, but is estimated at more than $300 million.

“It’s no secret that the art of songwriting is the fundamental key to all great music, nor is it a secret that Bob is one of the very greatest practitioners of that art,” Lucian Grainge, the chief executive of the Universal Music Group, said in a statement.

The deal is the latest and most high-profile in this year’s buzzing market for music catalogs, as artists both young and old have sold their songs, while publishers and investors have raised billions of dollars from both public and private sources to persuade writers to part with their creations.

Last week, Stevie Nicks sold a majority stake in her songwriting catalog for an estimated $80 million to Primary Wave Music, an independent publisher and marketing company. Hipgnosis Songs Fund, a British company that has made a rapid run in the market in just two and a half years, recently disclosed that it had spent about $670 million from March to September acquiring rights in more than 44,000 songs by Blondie, Rick James, Barry Manilow, Chrissie Hynde of the Pretenders and others.

Dylan’s catalog, though, is a special gem, revered in a way that perhaps no other popular musician has achieved. His trove of songs have reshaped folk, rock and pop, and he maintains an almost mythic status as the bard of the current age. He was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 2016 “for having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition.”

Yet to a degree that still surprises and shocks his audience, Dylan has long been aggressive about marketing his music, including pursuing licensing deals to place his songs in television commercials.

In 1994, Dylan let the accounting firm Coopers & Lybrand — predecessor of the current giant PricewaterhouseCoopers — use Richie Havens’s rendition of his 1964 protest anthem “The Times They Are A-Changin’” in a TV spot. Fans, media commentators and even other artists reacted in horror; Time magazine wrote about the controversy with the headline “Just in Case You Hadn’t Heard — The ’60s Are Over.”

The Coopers & Lybrand spot was far from Dylan’s last commercial license: He did a prominent deal for a Victoria’s Secret TV spot in 2004, and later worked with Apple, Cadillac, Pepsi and IBM. Two years ago, he launched a high-end whiskey brand, Heaven’s Door.

Since Universal now controls his work, Dylan will no longer have veto power over how his songs will be used. After the deal was announced early Monday, users on Twitter had a field day with corny puns suggesting how Dylan’s work could be exploited. “Pay Lady Pay,” one user quipped. “Tangled Up in Blue Cross/Blue Shield,” wrote another.

Still, Universal insisted it would be tasteful in its use of Dylan’s work.

Jody Gerson, the chief executive of Universal’s publishing division, said, “To represent the body of work of one of the greatest songwriters of all time — whose cultural importance can’t be overstated — is both a privilege and a responsibility.”

Dylan is the kind of writer whose work music publishers tend to salivate over. Not only has it stood the test of time, but most of his songs were written by Dylan alone and have been frequently covered by other artists — with each use generating royalties. According to Universal, Dylan’s songs have been recorded more than 6,000 times.

Music publishing is the side of the business that deals in the copyrights for songwriting and composition — the lyrics and melodies of songs, in their most fundamental form — which are distinct from those for a recording. Publishers and writers collect royalties and licensing fees any time their work is sold, streamed, broadcast on the radio or used in a movie or commercial. (The recent sale of Taylor Swift’s first six albums covered only that material’s recording rights. Swift signed a separate publishing deal with Universal in February.)

Streaming has helped lift the entire music market — publishers in the United States collected $3.7 billion in 2019, according to the National Music Publishers’ Association — which has drawn new investors attracted to the steady and growing income generated by music rights.

Dylan’s deal includes 100 percent of his rights for all the songs of his catalog, including both the income he receives as a songwriter and his control of each song’s copyright. In exchange for its payment to Dylan, Universal, a division of the French media conglomerate Vivendi, will collect all future income from the songs.

Dylan had no comment on the deal.

Music publishing has been a little-known cornerstone of much of Dylan’s career. The songs he recorded with the Band in 1967, for example, which were widely bootlegged at the time and later collected in Dylan’s 1975 album “The Basement Tapes,” were intended as demos to be shopped to other recording artists.

And much of Dylan’s business empire is operated through the Bob Dylan Music Company, a small office in New York that administers his publishing rights in the United States. (Elsewhere around the world, his catalog has been administered by Sony/ATV, which will continue to do so until the expiration of its contract in a few years.)

The deal includes more than 600 songs spread across a number of publishing companies that Dylan has had over the years. With the exception of his original Leeds Music deal — which included seven songs, among them “Song for Woody” and “Talkin’ New York” — Dylan eventually took full control of all his copyrights from those catalogs; Leeds was sold in 1964 to MCA, which became Universal.

The Universal deal also includes Dylan’s shares in a number of songs he has written with other songwriters, although of the more than 600 titles included in the deal, there is only one in which Dylan is not a writer, but still owns the copyright: Robbie Robertson’s “The Weight,” as recorded by the Band.

But the agreement does not include any of Dylan’s unreleased songs. It also doesn’t cover any work Dylan writes in the future, leaving open the possibility that he could choose to work with another publisher for that material.

sell.........out.......?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2020 05:58PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: this blows [ in the wind ]?!.....Bob Dylan sells his entire song catalog for over $300 million.....
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: December 07, 2020 06:14PM
Saw this earlier today. I woulda thought Dylan's catalog woulda been worth more.

It is what it is.
Re: this blows [ in the wind ]?!.....Bob Dylan sells his entire song catalog for over $300 million.....
Posted by: hal
Date: December 07, 2020 06:18PM
Frank Zappa suggested selling his music rights to his wife that managed the business end before he died, but she didn't want to. She continued to control the mini empire and when she died, the family broke down in civil war. It's much easier to divide cash than it is a big pile of intellectual property. Maybe the fans are unhappy, but he is doing this for his family. Family comes first.
Posted by: hal
Date: December 07, 2020 06:19PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Saw this earlier today. I woulda thought Dylan's catalog woulda been worth more.

I bet it was before it because so easy to copy music flawlessly.
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: December 07, 2020 06:21PM
Good for him, at least he was in control of the situation, unlike many other artists who got cheated out of their publishing.

Posted by: blooz
Date: December 07, 2020 06:22PM
Nah. That pedestal people put him on is not one he climbed himself. He's always been kind of canny about what he did with his music and the directions he was going to take, no matter what his fans thought. He can't travel around with his band giving concerts forever, time to salt away a bit for retirement.
I'm a big fan but never had any illusions about him making music for the purity of his art

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: modelamac
Date: December 07, 2020 06:34PM
I don't see anything to get upset about. If he doesn't want to wait for the future royalties coming in, take the buyout and let the buyer take them. It doesn't change the consumers position.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: December 07, 2020 06:34PM
This is encouraging.
I can't wait to see what I get for my catalog of MRF posts!
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: December 07, 2020 06:38PM
My songwriting friend sold his catalog for 6 figures. He said there is an IRS clause that makes the gains in value only taxable at 5%. He said the songwriter lobbyists got John McCain to get the bill through.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: December 07, 2020 07:30PM
$300M is indeed a bit light for Dylan when Nicks is getting $80M for her Fleetwood Mac contributions and a solo LP or so. I agree it's better to cash out than to let the inevitable arguments commence among family and such. Still, I can't help but feel that emotionally it would have "made sense" for another famous songwriter to own the material. I'm aware that naiveté talking.
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: December 07, 2020 08:24PM
deckeda
$300M is indeed a bit light for Dylan when Nicks is getting $80M for her Fleetwood Mac contributions and a solo LP or so. I agree it's better to cash out than to let the inevitable arguments commence among family and such. Still, I can't help but feel that emotionally it would have "made sense" for another famous songwriter to own the material. I'm aware that naiveté talking.

If only Steve Forbert could have scraped together the cash...

Posted by: graylocks
Date: December 07, 2020 09:08PM
i've been surprised how many on my facebook feed have taken personal offense at the sale. as if anyone but Dylan gets to have a say in what he does with his intellectual property.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 07, 2020 09:20PM
I would have thought he would do something like create a trust to license the music and give family a steady income along with funding some environmental/political cause. I guess it was either too much work or his family was already starting to fight over the money.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: December 07, 2020 10:19PM

Streaming has helped lift the entire music market — publishers in the United States collected $3.7 billion in 2019, according to the National Music Publishers’ Association — which has drawn new investors attracted to the steady and growing income generated by music rights.

This really irks me; the only entities making money lately are the big companies and/or those artists at the status of cultural icons. Touring and playing all the time is the only way to be a musician these days, streaming pays almost nothing.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: December 07, 2020 10:22PM
Songwriters have taken a big hit on royalties since the Internet.
Posted by: jonny
Date: December 07, 2020 10:34PM
The Beatles catalog bought by Michael Jackson in 1985 for $47 million adjusted for inflation would be $115 million today. Of course, the value of this type of asset has changed considerably over the years.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 08, 2020 01:42AM
as if anyone but Dylan gets to have a say in what he does with his intellectual property.

He's always been kind of canny about what he did with his music and the directions he was going to take, no matter what his fans thought.

Exactly!

It always amazes me when (mostly) non-talented people decry an artist as a sellout, akin to committing some vague treasonous act, not to mention a personal affront, especially when compared to their own sad little lives.

It's as though they believe they were somehow cheated out of an investment that's given them some purview over that artist.

I remember the furor, the uproar, the wailing and gnashing of teeth when he 'went electric'.

Or when Randy Newman started doing 'commercial' work.

'Sold out'.

Generally, people are idiots.

Two for two, I'm good now.

We are a government of laws, not men.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: December 08, 2020 06:17AM
mrbigstuff

This really irks me; the only entities making money lately are the big companies and/or those artists at the status of cultural icons. Touring and playing all the time is the only way to be a musician these days, streaming pays almost nothing.

Yeah that quote merely reframed success for publishers, not “the industry.” Artists are paid far less on streaming deals than for physical media sales. The large studio budgets never returned.
Posted by: DP
Date: December 08, 2020 06:50AM
As a side note, I wonder-could he perform every single song he wrote in his long, prolific career? I don't think I could remember them all...confused smiley

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: December 08, 2020 07:01AM
Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Good for him, at least he was in control of the situation, unlike many other artists who got cheated out of their publishing.

FYI: He's famously one of the people who "cheated artists out of their publishing."

He freely plagiarized other artists' tunes and old poems, adapted them and then sued anyone else trying the same thing. In folk music there's a tradition of lifting some chords and occasionally lyrics, but he made that his whole act.

Corporate exploitation could hardly be any worse than how he's run his little empire.

Posted by: JoeM
Date: December 08, 2020 07:44AM
He didn’t sell the rights to future music he writes, from what I read. It’s possible that he might be able to make more money with the payout than he’s receiving than from his present royalties and the new owners will probably be able to create more licensing deals than he can. While he won’t benefit directly from their licensing deals, those deals could create renewed interest in him like what just happened with Fleetwood Mac and that interest might drive opportunities for whatever he continues to create. Pete Townshend did this some years ago. I think it’s a smart deal.

JoeM
Posted by: stephen
Date: December 08, 2020 08:00AM
It’s funny and a bit sad that my first thought was: “Is that enough for him to live on?”
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 227
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020