advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Slammed by robocalls
Posted by: wolfcry911
Date: December 08, 2020 06:41PM
I've always had the occasional robo/spam/telemarketer call but I've always just ignored it and they were so infrequent it didn't bother me.

Until today. I'm getting slammed with calls. Close to 100 an hour on my two numbers (main cell number and google voice number ported to the cell). Its been going on for more than 4 hours now. I'm still ignoring them, but this is ridiculous. Yes, I'm on the Do Not Call registry (for all that's worth). Anyone else experience this? What did you do?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Slammed by robocalls
Posted by: hal
Date: December 08, 2020 06:51PM
weird that BOTH numbers are suffering from this - that can not be a coincidence. I assume that it' s not the same number calling over and over again otherwise you could just block that number... I'd go insane!
Date: December 08, 2020 06:55PM
It's very weird - I know. No it's not the same number. But it seems to be the same dozen or so towns. Mostly in state, but some from as far as cross country.
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 08, 2020 06:58PM
Who knows both of your numbers???
Date: December 08, 2020 07:01PM
Apparently the spammers do...
Posted by: PeterB
Date: December 08, 2020 07:05PM
Not experienced exactly that, but have had a barrage of spam texts after joining Venmo (it's clear that Venmo got hacked). Solved by two methods: 1) set DND setting on Google Voice; 2) Use a spam filter app on the iPhone.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: testcase
Date: December 08, 2020 07:51PM
My iPhone 11 ProMax has TWO numbers (different carriers), NEITHER of which I've yet given out to ANYBODY (I use said lines ONLY for tethered data). I routinely get multiple calls / messages on each line every day. I'm sure the carriers could virtually wipe out this abuse in short order if they wanted to. angry villagers smiley
Date: December 08, 2020 07:58PM
Well they appear to have stopped, or at least slowed. PeterB, thanks for the advice.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: December 08, 2020 08:49PM
testcase
My iPhone 11 ProMax has TWO numbers (different carriers), NEITHER of which I've yet given out to ANYBODY (I use said lines ONLY for tethered data). I routinely get multiple calls / messages on each line every day. I'm sure the carriers could virtually wipe out this abuse in short order if they wanted to. angry villagers smiley

Could be holdovers from prior owner(s) of those numbers....

Many years ago when area codes started proliferating, I got a virgin number for our area code that ended in 1200 (because 12 is my favorite number) for my then mortgage business. Well, the following year, a major entertainment company moved some of their offices into town, and got a similar main number that ended in 2100 (that matched their new street address). OK, for the occasional dyslexic, but there was an industry phonebook, that evidently everyone in the industry used, and of course THAT'S where the dyslexic guy had to show up! Everyone that used the industry directory called us!

My mother's last phone number, before moving into the old fogey's home, was one number off from a nearby Mexican restaurant, and a different number off from the pizza parlor a couple of blocks up the street from her. On the nights the scotch was flowing, she'd take orders and reservations....

Moral of the stories; phone numbers aren't sacred to the people dialing them, no matter how much trouble you go to make them so for yourself.
==
Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: December 08, 2020 09:03PM
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warrantee.

sorry, i couldn't resist.

Asheville, NC Area
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 08, 2020 09:23PM
A few years ago I used to get calls from various people looking for a particular section in the local hospital, I can't recall which it was but I got those calls 3-4 times per day. Eventually I asked one person where she got the number, and tracked that down and told them they were giving out the wrong phone number. It worked since I stopped getting those calls.

A few weeks ago it started again, this time they are looking for a particular nurse in the ER. I am trying to get a hold of this person who gives out the wrong number, but again it stopped. maybe someone told them?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 08, 2020 09:28PM
.....getting them on home phone for 1-2 years now......get various.....one is the extended warranty.....one is foreign language (the same language and recorded message).......one hangs up but switches times (sometimes calling early 8 am, after 5 pm or mid day).........

.....cell phone also keeps getting one with spoofed number with same area code......like every other day.........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: PeterB
Date: December 08, 2020 09:43PM
For those interested:

1) For routine telemarketer blocking at home with a landline, NoMoRobo is great; set up my Mom with it, and it reduced her telemarketer phone calls to practically zero

2) For my iPhone (I'm still using the 6+, haven't gotten around to unpacking the 12PM yet) -- I'm not answering unknown numbers, routinely leave DND on (if it's a real person, they'll leave a message), and for spam texts, SmartFilter has been a lifesaver... it'd be great if AT&T could filter these out, but instead I just forward them all to AT&T and let them try to deal with it

3) For GV, make sure to turn on the DND setting ... I was getting a ton of spam texts that were being forwarded to GV. My guess is that Gmail/GV had one of its famous data breaches and that's how they got the number, though as I mentioned above -- I'm also pretty sure Venmo got hacked, because the spam texts were Venmo-oriented and the spam texts were all using my real first name.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: JPK
Date: December 09, 2020 03:22PM
It is getting easier for these scum bags.

Have you tried NOMOROBO yet? Paid app for iPhone but I think still free for landlines.

JPK
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 100
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020