advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I'm forcing myself to listen to favorite albums instead of favorite individual songs
Posted by: hal
Date: December 09, 2020 05:37PM
One thing about the itunes listening experience that I do not like is that is encourages listening to individual songs. I resisted for the longest time, but eventually made a BIG play list of most of my very favorite songs and listen to this while in my car.

It's not that I didn't enjoy the experience, but once when then big list ended, my car's music player just went to the next folder on the USB drive which was the first of MANY full albums.

I was really, really enjoying it.... hearing songs that were 2nd, 3rd or 4th best on my favorite albums as we ll as the very best was a treat. Hearing the collection of songs as the artist intended them to be ordered etc...

I'm really glad I did this. Some of this material hasn't been heard for 10 years or more. It'll take me a few more months to finish off the list and by then I'll be ready for the Greatest Hits play list again...

Just thought I'd mention it...
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I'm forcing myself to listen to favorite albums instead of favorite individual songs
Posted by: prymsnap
Date: December 09, 2020 06:46PM
I agree. We're so much more likely these days to listen to and maybe talk about a single track versus a collection. The experience of listening to a two-sided LP had its own norms and rituals that, in a way, colored the music.
Re: I'm forcing myself to listen to favorite albums instead of favorite individual songs
Posted by: kurtzie
Date: December 09, 2020 07:48PM
I have a play list called "Listen to Albums".
It randomly picks 25 songs that haven't been played ye this year.
Shuffle a song and then click on the song to go to that album and listen to whole album in order.
This play list also does not allow, greatest hits, compilations, sound tracks, etc.
Work great great for digging into albums.

Steve
Posted by: btfc
Date: December 09, 2020 08:06PM
For me, some albums need to be played in order, or it really bugs me. I had a commercial cassette tape version of Pink Floyd’s “Animals” where the tracks were rearranged and it drove me nuts! Other times I hear a song and as it ends, I find myself anticipating the next song, often as it came out on vinyl.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: December 10, 2020 08:36AM
Yes!

Last time I ripped my CDs I merged all the individual tracks into one file so I could shuffle albums instead of songs.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 10, 2020 11:51AM
....force....touch.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: hal
Date: December 10, 2020 01:22PM
mikebw
Yes!

Last time I ripped my CDs I merged all the individual tracks into one file so I could shuffle albums instead of songs.

that's hardcore!
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: December 10, 2020 08:32PM
Couple of good apps that focus on album listening

[apps.apple.com]

[apps.apple.com]

My daily record blog: [www.auditorymusings.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 151
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020