advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Pretty spacey- Space X ship getting ready to flip directions for landing (2 pix)
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: December 09, 2020 08:59PM
It's easy. First you let it drift with engines off, then you use small tail rockets to maneuver it into position for vertical landing.

See, easy-peasy.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Pretty spacey- Space X ship getting ready to flip directions for landing (2 pix)
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 09, 2020 09:15PM
....kevin....spacey.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Re: Pretty spacey- Space X ship getting ready to flip directions for landing (2 pix)
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: December 09, 2020 10:12PM
Dang it ! Landed a bit hard at the end.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Paul F.
Date: December 09, 2020 11:05PM
cbelt;

Yeah... but, it was a 99% perfect flight of a totally crazy idea... They've got SN9 maybe a week behind (maybe a bit more if they include some improvements after SN8's flight), and SN10, SN11, and SN12 under construction.

They'll have that "hard" landing worked out soon enough.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: December 10, 2020 10:18AM
That flight had many firsts for Starship. They'd never burned an engine that long, they'd never re-lit an engine at all that I'm aware of. In this test they staggered lighting and re-lighting multiple engines multiple times.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: December 10, 2020 05:55PM
ztirffritz
That flight had many firsts for Starship. They'd never burned an engine that long, they'd never re-lit an engine at all that I'm aware of. In this test they staggered lighting and re-lighting multiple engines multiple times.

Falcon 2nd stage engines restart regularly.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: December 10, 2020 08:36PM
DeusxMac
ztirffritz

Different engine, different fuel, WHOLE different pressure regime (the Raptor runs at 300 bar), and the Raptor is electrically ignited, not ignited with TEA-TEB hypergolics.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: December 14, 2020 11:48AM
Paul F.
DeusxMac
ztirffritz

Different engine, different fuel, WHOLE different pressure regime (the Raptor runs at 300 bar), and the Raptor is electrically ignited, not ignited with TEA-TEB hypergolics.

True, but ztirffritz didn’t specify a “stage”, just that SpaceX had “never re-lit an engine at all”.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 104
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020