advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How best to make contributions
Posted by: Don C
Date: December 10, 2020 11:43AM
I have a list of organizations and causes to which I make contributions each year. I was able to share some of my stimulus check this year so the amounts went up a little from last year.

Typically, I make one contribution to each organization, giving that group the full amount of the year's gift in one shot. I divide the list so that the amount given is about the same each month. That is, each month's contributions are roughly 1/12th of the total I give.

I notice that most organizations ask for monthly donations. Are regular smaller amounts better than on large payment? I would think that in the end, it is the annual contribution that matters, but maybe small monthly amounts are better.

What do you think?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How best to make contributions
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: December 10, 2020 11:46AM
I donate when I feel like I have the money, and I feel like I want to.
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 10, 2020 11:47AM
Our church leadership was told by higher ups that the reason they want to go to monthly payments is that it's far more likely for people to continue to donate over the long-term.

My late FIL gave one check a year for all of his 75+ adult years. He felt it was his opportunity to 'opt in' to his community - and made sure he had a voice when he was unhappy with things. By aggregating all of his donation into one (and ever-increasing size) check, they paid attention. He never abused that privilege, but he also never stopped giving.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: December 10, 2020 12:01PM
Yes, they'll pay more attention with a large donation, but it's easier for them to budget with steady monthly income. Just remember that if you pay online with a credit card, someone has to pay that credit card processing fee -- your donation to the cause is effectively reduced slightly.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: December 10, 2020 12:06PM
MikeF
Yes, they'll pay more attention with a large donation, but it's easier for them to budget with steady monthly income. Just remember that if you pay online with a credit card, someone has to pay that credit card processing fee -- your donation to the cause is effectively reduced slightly.

this.

Posted by: sekker
Date: December 10, 2020 12:14PM
Our monthly church payments are via standard electronic check transactions and do not incur a credit card fee. That is likely an option for many charities, too.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: December 10, 2020 12:58PM
re/the monthly set-up; I think they realize you are more apt to, for example, donate $5 a month rather than a single $50 request, meaning they get more money donated. Similarly, you might not think twice about donating $10 or so a month, but a single donation of $100 or more might be harder to swallow in a single month (i.e., one payment).

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 10, 2020 02:02PM
Just like Apple subscriptions, it is less painful if they slowly suck your funds away.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 10, 2020 02:52PM
Filliam H. Muffman
Just like Apple subscriptions, it is less painful if they slowly suck your funds away.

Word! Or is it Office?

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: December 10, 2020 03:27PM
We give to our church and the local mission monthly at the beginning of the month and then again quarterly as income is available. In the month of december we contribute small amounts to quite a few organization.

I don't think there's a right or wrong way to do contribute. Do what feels good to you.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: pdq
Date: December 10, 2020 04:32PM
We generally do annually, altho we gave a few a bump recently for Covid-related reasons.

In general, I figure if they are a competent charity, they can work with an annual contribution.
Posted by: vicrock
Date: December 10, 2020 09:46PM
We mostly give annually in December - really makes no difference to the charity how you do it.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: December 11, 2020 06:35AM
Don,

We donate annually to a handful of specific charities and they have to be well rated by Charity Navigator. If you haven't checked out Charity Navigator, do it. Great site! Makes it very easy to weed out the crappy charities. The contribution is done in December via Network for Good. They make it very easy to contribute.

Robert
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: December 11, 2020 08:27AM
Having some direct experience with this, it's better or easier, for the development and fundraising folks to budget this way (as others have said) but it doesn't make too much difference in thr end if your contribution would end up being the same amount. The end of year fundraising is what keeps most organizations afloat.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 124
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020