advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone here used the Apple trade-in program
Posted by: Z
Date: December 10, 2020 04:09PM
Looking at swapping Mrs Z's late 2018 'bad keyboard edition' MBA for one of the new 'M1 + good keyboard' edition MBAs.

I'm not finding the timeline information that I'd like and my local Apple store is closed due to another hunker down order - can anyone here comment on the timeline and overall experience? It appears the old laptop goes before a new one could be purchased with said credit. Making me think a local CL transaction is in the future.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone here used the Apple trade-in program
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: December 10, 2020 04:20PM
I've never actually used the program, but I've gotten an estimate from it for my current iMac - they offered $500 for a computer I can easily get $1500 for by selling it myself.

It is what it is.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: December 10, 2020 04:29PM
i've used it twice for phones. one time i did it in-store. in the pandemic era they send a box for you to return the item in (at their expense) and after they verify that it's in the condition you said it was in they send an email with a gift card number. so no, without a store you'd have to wait to apply the gift card to your new purchase.

although, TBH, i didn't ask if they had a different procedure if you wanted to use the trade in credit right away.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: pdq
Date: December 10, 2020 04:38PM
Yeah, for me they’ve never come close to what I can get on eBay, even after sellers fees and the like.
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 10, 2020 04:40PM
N-OS X-tasy!
I've never actually used the program, but I've gotten an estimate from it for my current iMac - they offered $500 for a computer I can easily get $1500 for by selling it myself.

This.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: raz
Date: December 10, 2020 05:07PM
Same. Ebay is far more lucrative, though less convenient

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: Z
Date: December 10, 2020 06:24PM
FWIW, going price on eBay for the model looks to be $650-750, with a few outliers on either side. Once you factor in their take, paypal's take, the Apple program offer of $590 isn't grossly off base - maybe leave $50 on the table... but the trade in before is a bummer.
Posted by: Michael
Date: December 10, 2020 07:38PM
I've done it with phones simply because I don't want to mess with eBay issues. I'd rather give up $50 and be done when I leave the store. I wouldn't do it for $500 vs. $1500, however!
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: December 10, 2020 10:31PM
I've done it with a phone. I am about to do it with my 2015 MBA. It's "after the sale" for me in both cases. A box arrives to pack it up. They give a couple of week window to make it happen. Once they receive the item and assess it, they send an electronic gift card for Apple. I know...I would prefer cash but I am really trying to get Mrs Markintosh to upgrade her iPhone 7+.

My box is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I suppose I could switch and do an eBay thing or local sale but the hassle factor is too real. I've gotten so much mileage out of the old MBA, I'm happy to get anything out of it.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Sam3
Date: December 11, 2020 05:04AM
I did it with my Apple Watch 4. I got more than I thought I would, and made getting the AW6 a no-brainer.

I wasn't planning on getting an AW6, the AW4 seemed good enough for my uses. But.... cool smiley

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Posted by: RoadToad
Date: December 11, 2020 06:52AM
You end up only paying sales tax on the “after trade-in price” of the new purchase.

Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger...
Posted by: testcase
Date: December 11, 2020 09:55AM
Back in February, I traded an iPhone8 in when I bought my iPhone11 Pro Max. I think I got just over $200 for it at an Apple Store in FL.

For several years, Samsung offered KILLER trade in deals on Galaxy phones BUT, those generous offers all seemed to die about a year ago.
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 11, 2020 02:32PM
I've used the infamous FS&FI MRF site...
Posted by: Mactel
Date: December 14, 2020 03:07PM
Check the Decluttr app as well. I've traded in 3 iPhones over the years using the app and the value was higher than Apple's trade-in and you get the money direct deposited into your bank account
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 109
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020