Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Re-live the glory days, Quadra 700 review at Ars
Posted by: mikebw
Date: December 11, 2020 11:10AM
[arstechnica.com]

My first home computer was the PowerMac 6100, so I kinda missed the Quadra generation, so this was cool to see.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Re-live the glory days, Quadra 700 review at Ars
Posted by: hal
Date: December 11, 2020 11:24AM
My first mac was a bottom of the line quadra. I replaced it with a Power Computing beast that absolutely crushed the quadra so I sold it. I don't get the misty eyed 'looking back' thing at all. My new/current computer is always my favorite computer.
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 11, 2020 11:44AM
My first was a Centris 610. Killed me to see the Quadras come out just a few months later.

I couldn't run PageMaker 5 on it, didn't have enough ram. Think I had 3 MB, needed 5?

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: December 11, 2020 11:55AM
hal
My first mac was a bottom of the line quadra.

Quadra 605 or 610?

My first Mac was the Quadra 610. I loved it, of course, but holy cow - when I replaced it five years later with a Mac G3 desktop, it was like going to warp speed!

The Quadra 610 was the computer with which I purchased my EX II keyboard. Twenty-seven years later, the EX II soldiers on on my desktop. I've used that thing with nearly a dozen different Macs over the years. One of the best purchases I've ever made.

It is what it is.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: December 11, 2020 12:06PM
I had a Quadra 700 at work. Then I bought a Quadra 650 for home. Which I believe was newer and better than the 700...despite the name.

Posted by: rz
Date: December 11, 2020 12:19PM
My first Mac was a Quadra 660AV.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: December 11, 2020 12:21PM
I used Quadra 405 and 630 at work and both were good machines for what they were, an LC '040 and a decent low-end Mac. They both could take a decent amount of RAM and both had Ethernet.

I didn't like the 700 because it was an '040 IIci on it's site with a vertical floppy slot. It looked wrong, to the 700 was wrong. Nothing more than that.
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 11, 2020 12:38PM
Those era computers from Apple were really terrible.

Like others, I was glad to purchase a clone - far better bang/$$.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: December 11, 2020 01:31PM
I never saw a Quadra 700, but...

I remember clearly a Quadra 900 hidden behind a locked door in my college's computer work room back in May of 1991. It was all hush hush; although we student computer consultants were aware of it, none of us were supposed to actually see it. I got a glimpse of it, though; a vertical computer with a lock and key. Per Wikipedia, though, the Quadra 900 was sold starting October 1991. Was it available to colleges early? Did we have a prototype? I don't know.

My first true Quadra (with FPU, so my LC475 doesn't count) was a Quadra 840AV, as I was getting into vintage computing, purchased around the time MacAddict (or was it MacWorld) had a survey of what its readers' next computer was going to be. They reported the results: Most were going to get a G4, with the exception of "one lonely guy who says his next computer will be a Quadra."
Posted by: Z
Date: December 11, 2020 02:08PM
Friend's father had a Q700 through the edu program at the University he taught at. Man, I was jealous with my lowly LCII.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: December 11, 2020 02:14PM
sekker
Those era computers from Apple were really terrible.

Like others, I was glad to purchase a clone - far better bang/$$.

To be fair, the Quadras came out in 1991 and were very good computers. It was after then when the Centris, Performa, and LC### mess started; and the clones came a few years later in 1995.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 11, 2020 02:14PM
I still have mine. I have not tried to fire it up in a couple of years.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: August West
Date: December 11, 2020 02:33PM
My first Pro Audio machine.

Apologies to the anonymous forum member affected by my previous sig pic. It was my personal pic of a country expressing great grief as their leader, one of the most recognized people in the world, lay on his deathbed 8 years ago, days before he died. Like a naif, I did not realize it was offensively political, I considered it an expression of deep emotion and a reminder of the mortal coil's nature; that we all, great and small, can only hope to make a difference in our short time here, no matter the personal cost.

I'll post another pic from my work in South Africa that is, hopefully, apolitical.

Posted by: JPK
Date: December 11, 2020 02:41PM
After reading this I feel a lot better about myself. I consider myself a mac geek, but I am not even in the same time zone as this guy!

JPK
Posted by: Grumpyguy
Date: December 11, 2020 03:25PM
Had a Mac Plus to start off. Then a couple crappy Performas, then a G3 pizza box, which IMHO was a quantum leap in performance for Apple.

Bryan
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: December 11, 2020 03:54PM
Grumpyguy
Had a Mac Plus to start off. Then a couple crappy Performas, then a G3 pizza box, which IMHO was a quantum leap in performance for Apple.

There was no G3 pizza box, IIRC — the G3 came in tower and desktop variants.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: December 12, 2020 11:08AM
Loved the pizza box models...easy to get into/upgrade.

Mine had the DOS card inside...I could play DOOM while waiting for downloads over my 28.8kBps modem to finish on the Mac.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: December 12, 2020 02:13PM
S. Pupp
I never saw a Quadra 700, but...

I remember clearly a Quadra 900 hidden behind a locked door in my college's computer work room back in May of 1991. It was all hush hush; although we student computer consultants were aware of it, none of us were supposed to actually see it. I got a glimpse of it, though; a vertical computer with a lock and key. Per Wikipedia, though, the Quadra 900 was sold starting October 1991. Was it available to colleges early? Did we have a prototype? I don't know.

My first true Quadra (with FPU, so my LC475 doesn't count) was a Quadra 840AV, as I was getting into vintage computing, purchased around the time MacAddict (or was it MacWorld) had a survey of what its readers' next computer was going to be. They reported the results: Most were going to get a G4, with the exception of "one lonely guy who says his next computer will be a Quadra."

I knew a guy with an 840AV. He was prone to yelling at it when he tried to demonstrate it's speech capabilities.

We also had a Quadra 950 in our lab in college. that was the machine EVERYONE wanted to use. It had a Radius video setup and a Syquest drive! It was the cat's pajamas.

Posted by: JoeM
Date: December 13, 2020 09:33AM
My first Mac was a Centris 660Av which I got at a Mac auction in NJ along with two monitors and an Apple LaserWriter Select 310 printer. I ran it along with an Atari Mega 4 in my first home recording studio. Pretty great computer for its time.

JoeM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 91
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020