advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I should probably buy a snow blower but I don't want to and I'm not sure I have to
Posted by: mattkime
Date: December 13, 2020 05:02PM
Most reasonable adults with a driveway and long stretch of sidewalk living in Wisconsin would probably just buy a snowblower. I should, there are better uses of my time than shoveling snow. There are just two problems - I don't want to pay for it and I don't want to make room for it in my garage.

I was hoping to hold out for a refurb EGO snowblower since I have other devices (and batteries) for this brand. Notable problem - the reviews are mediocre but the price is not. As with most EGO products, the price is about 90% batteries and they cost a pretty penny. I found a refurb with 2x 5.0Ah batteries for $450. I was hoping to find a 2x 7.5Ah refurb model. That model new is $999.

EGO now has a 2 stage model at twice the price - $1200. Looks nice but that price.

Ryobi has a well reviewed corded electric model. No way in hell it would reach the far end of my sidewalk but most of the work is our driveway anyway. At $180 I don't mind the price.

As best I can tell the main reason to get a snow blower is because you need to clear your driveway and get to work. Thats not going to be a concern this winter. Maybe next year will bring cheaper and more capable electric models. Or maybe a snowfall will humble me and I'll reexamine my options.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I should probably buy a snow blower but I don't want to and I'm not sure I have to
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: December 13, 2020 05:08PM
Do you have a vehicle that has a hitch receiver? There a plow blades that go into a hitch receiver. Not cheap, but don't require batteries or another gas tool.
Re: I should probably buy a snow blower but I don't want to and I'm not sure I have to
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: December 13, 2020 05:11PM
The EGO snowblowers seem cheap compared to some other options.

In the Tahoe area, the go to snow blower is the Honda 724 at $2759 or the Honda 928 at $ $2899. If you have a big area, then you want the Honda 1332 at $3379.

Those above are the two stagers. Single stage Hondas start at about $780.

I'm on a quest to rid myself of ICEs in my life. We have EGO for just about everything gardening, and Ryobi for power tools.

I would love to demo the new two stage EGO in my driveway.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: John B.
Date: December 13, 2020 05:14PM
1. Hold out through this winter, see if a season of clearing snowfall with a shovel changes your mind.
2. Hold out and buy a used/clearance unit off season
3. Pay a neighborhood kid or local service to bring their machine over and clear your driveway
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 13, 2020 05:23PM
....that....blows....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Acer
Date: December 13, 2020 05:33PM
Tough call. I have one, but only because it was available for free. I've had it two winters, used it once. The one time I used it, it was appreciated. Shoveling four inches is recreation. Shoveling 8 or 12 is whole 'nother thing. But I'd say in recent decades we get a truly blower-worthy accumulation maybe once in three years or less. YMMV, obviously.
Posted by: wurm
Date: December 13, 2020 05:57PM
Look at it this way. If you buy one now, you can pretty much guarantee you won't get much snow this year. That's just the way it seems to work. However, you'll be ready for next year, and beyond.

And yeah, I know everybody loves their Hondas and they are (probably) great. But you don't have to get a Honda. Get a 2-stage Toro, Ariens, Cub Cadet, or whatever for less than half the price. Take care of it and it will last a a good long while. I had a small Ariens for many years until I realized I cheaped out too much in terms of size. The engine still ran fine when I pretty much gave it away a few years ago. I replaced it with a slightly bigger Cub Cadet that I believe was $900. I just took it out of storage a week ago and it fired right up on the first pull of the starter rope. That surprised even me, as I figured it would take a few yanks after sitting for months.

-edit-

Oh yeah, the other option, since you don't want to buy and store one is to research locals with a plow and get on their list. That way you pay only when you need to. And as you said, if you're not in a hurry to get anywhere, maybe you can pay a little less to be at the end of the list.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2020 06:00PM by wurm.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 13, 2020 05:58PM
John B.
1. Hold out through this winter, see if a season of clearing snowfall with a shovel changes your mind.
3. Pay a neighborhood kid or local service to bring their machine over and clear your driveway

Number 3.

>>>

My annual repost of a video with me snow blowing (gosh, 38k+ views):

[www.youtube.com]

I recently spent just short of $900 on the blower, mainly having the blower drive chain upsized. The number 40 chain kept stretching every time the blower swallowed a weekly shopper tabloid hidden under the snow even though the shear pins would shear as designed. That required machining a new shaft for the number 50 sprocket so I decided to let the shop go through the blower and replace any needed parts, for example, bearings. We have only had two snows so far this year and it works great!

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: December 13, 2020 06:02PM

see ya in the spring!
Posted by: vision63
Date: December 13, 2020 07:35PM
Speedy
John B.

Number 3.

>>>

[www.youtube.com]

I recently spent just short of $900 on the blower, mainly having the blower drive chain upsized. The number 40 chain kept stretching every time the blower swallowed a weekly shopper tabloid hidden under the snow even though the shear pins would shear as designed. That required machining a new shaft for the number 50 sprocket so I decided to let the shop go through the blower and replace any needed parts, for example, bearings. We have only had two snows so far this year and it works great!

That looks hella fun.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: December 13, 2020 07:37PM
Yeah, imagine standing there with the camera
Posted by: davester
Date: December 13, 2020 08:12PM
I'm a bit puzzled regarding the comment that the corded blower won't reach to the end of the sidewalk. With a large gauge extension cord it'll reach as far as you want it to reach. I would think that with heavy duty needs like snowblowing you'd definitely want to have the higher wattage and duration available from a corded device over the relatively wimpy specs of battery devices (not to mention that the batteries and charging systems add significant additional costs).

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2020 08:12PM by davester.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: December 13, 2020 08:46PM
Most lawn services will remove snow, generally charging between $75. - $100. A snowfall, depending on how many inches. It is supposed to be a light season this year. If you believe it and that holds true you could buy yourself some time before you decide what to buy next year.

JoeM
Date: December 13, 2020 09:01PM
davester
I'm a bit puzzled regarding the comment that the corded blower won't reach to the end of the sidewalk.

Maybe i could? I think I Have about 150 feet of front sidewalk (yes, its long) and the closest outlet is at the far end.

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: December 13, 2020 09:16PM
I don't have on in La Crosse, WI. It was a problem twice last winter and I had a neighbor who was nice enough to plow out the bottom of my driveway for me. Otherwise I would have made it through shoveling it eventually or paid a kid to do it.

The smaller push style snowblowers/cordless blowers are worthless for the weather we get here, don't even bother. You can hand shovel anything those will handle. Go all out with a big one or don't bother.

See if you can find a neighbor who has a snow blower will help you out in exchange for some beers or something if you need help.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: December 13, 2020 09:34PM
vision63
Speedy
John B.

Number 3.

>>>

[www.youtube.com]

That looks hella fun.

It is! I do the whole neighborhood free of charge, sometimes 50 driveways depending on various factors.

Date: December 13, 2020 09:36PM
JoeM
Most lawn services will remove snow, generally charging between $75. - $100. A snowfall, depending on how many inches. It is supposed to be a light season this year. If you believe it and that holds true you could buy yourself some time before you decide what to buy next year.

Here it is $300 per season - of one inch or more snowfalls.

Posted by: JoeM
Date: December 13, 2020 10:55PM
Speedy
JoeM

My lawn service charges per visit, when I request him to come. He charges $75 up to 3" to do my 2 car driveway, front sidewalk, front steps, backyard and deck. More for larger snowfalls.

JoeM
Date: December 13, 2020 11:22PM
C(-)ris
See if you can find a neighbor who has a snow blower will help you out in exchange for some beers or something if you need help.

The pandemic is getting in the way of this. I'm certain our neighbors would help if asked but I'd prefer to offer something first. Also, I suspect they help out once in a while. Someone is.
Date: December 13, 2020 11:33PM
JoeM
Speedy
JoeM

My lawn service charges per visit, when I request him to come. He charges $75 up to 3" to do my 2 car driveway, front sidewalk, front steps, backyard and deck. More for larger snowfalls.

Not a bad price for all that. The ‘$300 a season’ gets a big blower mounted on the rear of a fairly good sized tractor (farm yard utility size, not field work size) trailed by a guy in a pickup who shovels away from the garage door as well as the walk and steps. They move right along. They don’t like me so I stay out of the street when they are nearby to avoid any potential collision.

I don’t shovel anything except a four by eight area up one step at my front door. A perfect snow for me is three to six inches of light fluffy stuff that falls overnight and ends about 8 AM. Everyone is able to get out to go to work before I come by and I finish the entire neighborhood before they come home in the late afternoon.

About eight or nine years ago I waved off a high school boy who was shoveling a foot of wet stuff off his family’s triple wide driveway. He gave me the moniker, “The Snow Angel” which made its way throughout the neighborhood. I’ll use about a gallon of Diesel fuel an hour. It’s cheap entertainment with no obligations and my wife is happy to get me out of the house.

However, the past couple of years we have been gone most of the winter. The same will be true this winter and, hopefully, going forward.

Posted by: sekker
Date: December 13, 2020 11:45PM
I have that Ego but now have 4 batteries. Will do a lot, even in MN winters. I love not getting all smelly after snow blowing.

If they had offered the two stage, I’d likely have gotten it though the price is higher than I’d like.
Date: December 13, 2020 11:53PM
sekker
I have that Ego but now have 4 batteries. Will do a lot, even in MN winters.

It seems that people who buy it are quite happy. Reviewers comparing it to ICE models are the ones who find reason to complain. The extra batteries are an investment.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: December 14, 2020 12:00AM
mattkime
davester
I'm a bit puzzled regarding the comment that the corded blower won't reach to the end of the sidewalk.

Maybe i could? I think I Have about 150 feet of front sidewalk (yes, its long) and the closest outlet is at the far end.

300 feet of extension cord is not a big deal and not that expensive. When you get to 500-600 feet, you might have to worry a little about voltage drop. A snow blower is is pretty high current so you will want 12 gauge cord.

Posted by: AllGold
Date: December 14, 2020 12:01AM
Speedy
John B.

Number 3.

>>>

[www.youtube.com]

It's worth watching the video just to see the snowmobile driving down your street.

Posted by: blooz
Date: December 14, 2020 07:41AM
I bought a self propelled gas snowblower about 20" wide. I have a short drive but it's wide enough for three cars and almost long enough for two in a row. The drive is 30 feet from my house and i snowblow a path from my front walk to the driveway over the lawn so I don't have to walk in the street. I'm in Western Mass.
I'm just sayin', you don't need a $900-1200 machine unless you live somewhere where you get huge-ass storms on a regular basis.
The machine I have is small and it takes a little time, but i can clean up the 2-2.5 foot blizzards we get occasionally.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 14, 2020 10:44AM
....can you start small first with a bubble blower..........???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: dk62
Date: December 14, 2020 01:03PM
I usually just back into my driveway and stay within inches of the street the night before a storm is supposed to hit. With other car(s) bumper to bumper behind each other. Then I just have to shovel a narrow path to the car and a few inches from the car to the street. I have a snow blower but use it maybe once every three years.

The only problem with this is the "what will neighbors think" factor, which bothers my wife much more than me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2020 01:04PM by dk62.
Posted by: Michael
Date: December 14, 2020 03:28PM
dk62
I usually just back into my driveway and stay within inches of the street the night before a storm is supposed to hit. With other car(s) bumper to bumper behind each other. Then I just have to shovel a narrow path to the car and a few inches from the car to the street. I have a snow blower but use it maybe once every three years.

The only problem with this is the "what will neighbors think" factor, which bothers my wife much more than me.

I'd imagine the neighbors think, "Woe, that's a good idea. I wish my wife would let me do that!"
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 102
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020