advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Any audiophile-ish folks with HomePods? What's your opinion?
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: December 13, 2020 10:04PM
I'm a recovering audiophile, and I'm thinking about getting some HomePods (the big ones, not the new minis). I'm looking for a reliable opinion on the sound quality. Thanks!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Any audiophile-ish folks with HomePods? What's your opinion?
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 14, 2020 12:24AM
How big of a room are you trying to fill?

Does it have to be wireless?

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: December 14, 2020 12:27AM
Pretty sure true "audiophiles" would turn up their noses as HomePods, but check youtube for reviews. Apparently they can do Dolby Atmos now.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: December 14, 2020 12:30AM
Here's a review from Stereophile from 2018:

[www.stereophile.com]
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: December 14, 2020 12:45AM
They sound like a million bucks. Plus, they have a sound tech that EQs them according to where you set them.
Seriously, I think they sound high end. Critical listening requires two, set in an appropriate environment, 1 feet apart from any wall.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: December 14, 2020 12:52AM
Article Accelerator
Here's a review from Stereophile from 2018:

[www.stereophile.com]

This is what I was expecting:
I found that's odd myself
Submitted by RafaPolit on July 17, 2018 - 9:22pm
I was really disappointed not to get measurements. Every other speaker review gets them, yet the heavily colored Home Pod gets a free pass and we get only the subjective comments with some liberal thoughts like: \"I assume the LS50s sound better\", but all praise for the apple product.

Seems rather odd. At the very least, a reason as to why these were omitted would have been"

interesting.

However, the actual reviewers seem pretty enthusiastic:
[www.stereophile.com]

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2020 12:59AM by Rolando.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 14, 2020 10:15AM
I'm still looking for reviews of the HomePod used with video, as TV/Streaming/computer speakers.

I've got two, both at the $199 sale price, one from B&H and one from BB.

The second one isn't set up yet, as I haven't found an ideal location for either.

I do like the idea of a speaker stand with a base the size of the HomePod's base.

My solo unit sounds a little warm for my taste, with bass creeping towards the midrange.

Yet the Stereophile review says there's a bit of boost in the midrange.

I don't hear it, but that maybe because of it's somewhat cramped location.

Hearing it to its best advantage might really win me over.

I wish WiFi weren't the only connection, and that there was a hardwire option.

Having to HomePod minis for my Mac would be a treat, especially because of their small size.

Right now, my main Mac is hooked to a pair of Creative GigaWorks T20 speakers, sonically adequate for video, but with a huge footprint.

For music, I frequently use my HomePod.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: December 14, 2020 12:36PM
Haven’t heard it. I suppose you’d only compare it to other networked systems that similarly only require a compatible source. That’s a lot of functions put into a box of course (it’s the nature of a smart speaker after all) so for me it would be impossible to ignore that vast context, especially when “sound quality” lives blissfully outside of that arena for each and every non-smart sound system.

My perception as an outsider is that amongst the realm of $100 smart speakers, a $350 HomePod would naturally clean their clocks AND deliver a better user experience for Apple users (seeking to use Apple devices / services as the source ... ) I’d expect even the new and cheaper model to be decent.

But if sound is what you’re after make the leap to something like the KEF LS50 Wireless 50 II. Audiophiles will know that $2500 (plus your source cost) isn’t unreasonable in any historical context.

I mean, you said you were recovering, so let’s find out.
Posted by: August West
Date: December 14, 2020 12:48PM
We're a pack of old men with burnt out hearing, so there's that. stick poke smiley

Apologies to the anonymous forum member affected by my previous sig pic. It was my personal pic of a country expressing great grief as their leader, one of the most recognized people in the world, lay on his deathbed 8 years ago, days before he died. Like a naif, I did not realize it was offensively political, I considered it an expression of deep emotion and a reminder of the mortal coil's nature; that we all, great and small, can only hope to make a difference in our short time here, no matter the personal cost.

I'll post another pic from my work in South Africa that is, hopefully, apolitical.

Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: December 14, 2020 01:21PM
August West
We're a pack of old men with burnt out hearing, so there's that. stick poke smiley

Which also describes a lot of people who work for audiophile pubs. I've often wondered about how that, er-- colors their reviews.

Also a recovering audiophile here...
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: December 14, 2020 01:42PM
Thanks, all-much appreciated!
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 14, 2020 02:16PM
....just remember not to eat it.....like the TidePods........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Schpark
Date: December 14, 2020 04:14PM
I have a pair of them and my first impression was that the sound was much bigger than expected for their size. They don't come close to my Klipsch Forte II's but they give good sound for the space they take up. I finally created a stereo pair and made them the default audio out for my Apple TV 4K. Much better sound than a flat panel TV speaker.

I also like the portability aspect as I would plug one in on my deck for outdoor music (in good weather) and control the music with my phone.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: December 15, 2020 05:17AM
I wonder if you could tie four of them together to create a surround sound system. That would be cool, two Homepods behind the listener, two in front, minimal wiring, watching a movie and you feel the whoosh of a train overtaking you.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 111
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020