advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
may be upgrading my iPhone
Posted by: wurm
Date: December 14, 2020 11:26AM
I'm currently using an original iPhone SE that I bought new in August of 2017. It has served my purposes well enough and I haven't been actively looking to upgrade. However, my wife mentioned she'd like to get me a new phone for Christmas. So I started looking at options. While I do like the size of my original SE, I could see jumping up to the next size up. I'm sure my eyes would appreciate it and it still could fit in my pocket easily enough. And I wouldn't have to listen to my wife and daughter making fun of my tiny phone, especially if they ever need to use it.

So after a fair amount of research and looking at my needs and how I use the phone, the 2020 SE seems to fit the bill best. An added bonus is that it's the cheapest new one out there that will still be current for a while. In fact, about the only negative I've read about it is the battery life.

For any iPhone I've owned, I've never had to charge it more frequently than once a day. I put it on the charger at bedtime and not again until the next night. Frankly, if it's still at anything more than 60% by the end of the day, I don't even bother recharging it until the following night. And my battery health is at 86% as I write this, 3 years and four months after buying it.

So I guess my question is, are my battery concerns about the new 2020 SE unfounded? I use my phone for calls and texts. I rarely take pictures. I don't listen to music on it. I'll only watch a YouTube video on it if someone sends me one linked in a text message. I have no intention of ever watching a movie on a four inch screen. I do not play any games.

The only thing I can think of that might make battery life a factor is if I were to use it as a GPS. That hasn't been a factor yet because I already have a built-in GPS in my car and I haven't used it as a GPS on the bike largely because of its smaller size and my limited data plan. However, part of the deal with my wife wanting to buy me a phone is that she would then add me to our T-Mobile Family Plan with unlimited data. I had left T-Mo and went to an ATT mvno a few years ago because I had zero signal at work. Well, thanks to Covid and my permanently working from home, that lack of signal is no longer an issue.

So, is there anything I'm not thinking of that would have me regret getting the 2020 SE? The next best option size-wise is the 12 Mini, and that's twice the price. And I see nothing on it that would be of use to me that isn't already in the new SE. Thanks for your thoughts.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: may be upgrading my iPhone
Posted by: kurtzie
Date: December 14, 2020 11:47AM
I think for your usage, the battery won't be a concern.
Posted by: kledo
Date: December 14, 2020 11:59AM
The SE2020 has served me well. It gets plugged in at night often with 70 - 75% charge still on the battery. Bought new the first day released. No regrets here. Camera quality is quite good too.

--Kledo
Posted by: MikeF
Date: December 14, 2020 11:59AM
[www.cnet.com]
Date: December 14, 2020 12:00PM
Thanks. That's kind of what I'm figuring in terms of my usage.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: December 14, 2020 01:14PM
wurm
So I guess my question is, are my battery concerns about the new 2020 SE unfounded? I use my phone for calls and texts. I rarely take pictures. I don't listen to music on it. I'll only watch a YouTube video on it if someone sends me one linked in a text message. I have no intention of ever watching a movie on a four inch screen. I do not play any games.

I've had mine since May and I have not experienced any issues with short battery life. My usage is similar to yours. It has been a solid and reliable small phone.
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 14, 2020 02:16PM
SE 2020 has better battery than the 12 mini, if that matters -- but you are still talking 8-9 hours per day if you are on it every single one of those 8 hours.

Coming from an OG SE, I never loved the 6/7/8/SE 2020 size.

my 12 mini is perfect =)

You should *really* call T-Mo -- I see they offer $380 tradein for a OG SE on a 12 mini -- making it $320 + tax -- or the same price as a new SE.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Michael
Date: December 14, 2020 03:08PM
We had SE2020's and now 12 minis. We also went to TMobile unlimited and we are now using that unlimited data in an unlimited fashion. For example, my wife watched the Vikings Sunday on YouTubeTV on my phone while we were driving. That chewed up the battery and it was way lower at the end of the day than I was used to. My general impression is that the 12 mini battery usage is about the same as the SE2020 for our general daily usage. There may be a bit less battery at the end of the day. But, the shift to not worrying about using data seems likely to continue and I'd bet we'll have some days where the battery needs to be recharged before the day is up. If you use all that free data I'd bet you'll find the same thing going on with either phone.
Date: December 14, 2020 03:38PM
Actually, I got off the phone with T-Mo a little while ago. Looks like I can get a 12 Mini for free (via bill credits), or an SE 2020 for $199, if I add my line to our existing plan for another $20/mo. Seems like a no-brainer, although believe it or not I think I'd prefer the SE.
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 14, 2020 03:56PM
Id really see if you can get the $380 trade in credit for the SE vs bill credits.

Its IMPOSSIBLE to get more than $80 for it on the open market, let alone $380.

I was hesitant on getting rid of my OG SE too... thought I would miss the button and the headphone jack and whatever... so far... don't.

face ID is instant, battery goes way longer than my SE, and a headphone dongle was $10.

I just dropped a charging puck on my desk and that's where it sits... 100% charged all the time. Nice clear spigen case and its still barely larger than my old SE, but smaller than a new SE

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 158
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020