advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
no heroes today?!....remember the TV show 'Heroes'....behind the scenes drama........
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 16, 2020 08:30PM
....Leonard Roberts [ an african american actor ] pens an essay in 'Variety' on why he was 'fired' in season 1, 14 years after the fact......

......he played Ali Larter's husband in the TV show........

.....this article is a summary but read the original in 'Variety'.......10 people anonymously corroborated certain details......did race play a role.....??

......Ali Larter did not comment for the original essay but has now responded that she is 'heartbroken' and that it didn't match 'her memory' of the events......

Leonard Roberts Breaks Decade-Plus Silence on Heroes Firing, Says 'Tension' With On-Screen Love Interest Ali Larter Led to His 2007 Dismissal

......Former Heroes star Leonard Roberts says friction with on-screen love interest Ali Larter, coupled with a lack of diversity behind-the-scenes at NBC’s superhero smash, led to him being fired after just one season.

In a lengthy essay published by our sister pub Variety, the actor recounts the instant friction he experienced in Season 1 with Larter, who played Niki Sanders, the wife of his D.L. Hawkins character. “The script suggested D.L. and Niki had a volatile relationship — and it wasn’t long before art was imitating life,” Roberts writes, before describing two instances where the pair clashed. After one of the dustups, “I later gave her a bottle of wine with a note affirming what I believed to be mutual respect and a shared commitment to doing exceptional work,” he explains. “Neither the gift nor the note was ever acknowledged.”

The second incident involved Larter allegedly refusing to bare her shoulders during a bedroom scene between their married alter egos. She “expressed she had never been so disrespected — as an actress, a woman or a human being,” Roberts writes. However, just prior to that Larter apparently had no issue shooting a scene that called for Niki to seduce Adrian Pasdar’s character, Nathan Petrelli. Roberts says he “pondered why my co-star had exuberantly played a different scene with the Petrelli character involving overt sexuality while wearing lingerie, but found aspects of one involving love and intimacy expressed through dialogue with my character, her husband, disrespectful to her core. I couldn’t help wondering whether race was a factor.”.......

take a read...........?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2020 08:37PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: no heroes today?!....remember the TV show 'Heroes'....behind the scenes drama........
Posted by: SteveO
Date: December 17, 2020 03:41PM
Never watched that show but remember it was a show. Whether one gives the benefit of the doubt to Roberts, or Larter, I'd have to guess that sort of thing Roberts described happens all the time. Doesn't make it any more tolerable, though, just that much more unconscionable.
Re: no heroes today?!....remember the TV show 'Heroes'....behind the scenes drama........
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: December 18, 2020 11:50AM
I thought she already had a Chevy Chase-style reputation on-set of any production.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: December 18, 2020 12:29PM
Bill in NC
I thought she already had a Chevy Chase-style reputation on-set of any production.

She did.

It's not clear that there was racism on her part or she was just really abrasive.

I recently binged Heroes. There was zero chemistry there and the writers gave him nothing to work with.

I think that he's saying that the all-white production and writing teams didn't know how to incorporate a non-white man into the ensemble, and I think that's a fair assessment. (Hiro's character was plagued with what in retrospect was embarrassing offensive stereotyping.) And when he had a problem with a fellow cast member, they dropped him rather than trying to fix it.

The attempted reboot had the same problem. They blew it on every level, but they made it especially clear that they did not know how to write for a diverse cast.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 134
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020