Three pieces of mail sent from LA, Anaheim, & Compton accepted 12/04
and reaching Riverside the next day.
And that's the last entry @ <usps.com>: In Transit, Arriving Late
for each!

USPS - Our Priority Is You®
RollingEyesSmiley5

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: USPS discovers 'Black Hole' in California
Posted by: Janit
Date: December 17, 2020 07:37AM
I may have found one in Edison NJ as well.
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 17, 2020 07:46AM
there is one in Princeton as well.
Posted by: OWC Jamie
Date: December 17, 2020 07:57AM
It's everywhere.

USPS Priority Mail sent from Woodstock, IL Monday 12/6 to Miami arrived yesterday 12/16. Another package sent 12/6 to Austin is still not delivered. It's been sitting in Austin since Monday this week.

Priority? Not so much it seems. And of course they don't guarantee delivery. Just says on the label 2-3 day service.

USPS SUCKS.

Good Luck!
Jamie Dresser
Other World Computing
Posted by: d4
Date: December 17, 2020 08:02AM
Here's a Black Hole in France.
Hasn't budged for a week.

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: December 17, 2020 08:17AM
USPS doesn't have the ability to quickly react to increased volume. Due to unions and regulations they can't just hire a bunch of temp people and Ryder trucks to drive packages around like Fedex and UPS does. They also cannot afford to pay overtime for everyone because they cannot add a surcharge to the packages to make up for the increased labor costs.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: December 17, 2020 08:22AM
C(-)ris
USPS doesn't have the ability to quickly react to increased volume. Due to unions and regulations they can't just hire a bunch of temp people and Ryder trucks to drive packages around like Fedex and UPS does. They also cannot afford to pay overtime for everyone because they cannot add a surcharge to the packages to make up for the increased labor costs.

Labor at UPS is also union (Teamsters) — I believe at FedEx, too.

It is what it is.
Date: December 17, 2020 08:28AM
N-OS X-tasy!
C(-)ris

Maybe at the central distribution hubs, but drivers and regional hubs are definitely not all union.

C(-)ris
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: December 17, 2020 09:16AM
USPS was broken by political shenanigans (don't push this to the other side).
The Christmas apocalypse is upon them. Using top secret alien wormhole technology is probably their only hope.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: December 17, 2020 09:29AM
USPS has stopped taking outgoing mail from my home. They just shove the new incoming mail through the slot along with the letters I placed there for them to take.

Can't say I really blame them, as they are clearly overworked. We didn't get any delivery on Tuesday at all, just nothing.
Posted by: OWC Jamie
Date: December 17, 2020 09:30AM

Good Luck!
Jamie Dresser
Other World Computing
Posted by: Acer
Date: December 17, 2020 10:08AM
I found a black hole in Texas. It's been active since at least November 26, the last time my 2 oz package was seen. I've asked for a reshipment, hopefully this time the shipper will use a drone instead.
Posted by: GGD
Date: December 17, 2020 11:36AM
Acer
I found a black hole in Texas. It's been active since at least November 26, the last time my 2 oz package was seen. I've asked for a reshipment, hopefully this time the shipper will use a drone instead.

We've got an Amazon package hanging out around Dallas, but it's not USPS's fault yet, they're waiting for Amazon to give it to them. First tracking location was at the DFW airport, three days later, the second was about 30 miles away from DFW. It's supposed to go to NYC.

December 16, 2020, 7:40 pm
Departed Shipping Partner Facility, USPS Awaiting Item
HUTCHINS, TX 75141
Shipping Partner: AMAZON
Your item departed a shipping partner facility at 7:40 pm on December 16, 2020 in HUTCHINS, TX 75141. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date.

December 13, 2020, 10:41 pm
Picked Up by Shipping Partner, USPS Awaiting Item
DALLAS, TX 75261
Shipping Partner: AMAZON
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: December 17, 2020 11:50AM
C(-)ris

I'd totally buy that if the 2-day-additional-delivery-time "Humboldt County Tax" hadn't been going on for close to 20 years...
Whatever day the tracking says it should arrive; add two days.
It will get to the nearest processing center (Bay Area or Portland) and then.... disappear for two days before it says "Out for Delivery".
I can mail something from Eureka, TO Eureka, on Friday, and it will get shipped to the Bay Area, and arrive back in Eureka to get delivered on Tuesday. If I mail something from Eureka, TO Eureka, on Monday, it will get delivered Tuesday.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: JoeH
Date: December 17, 2020 01:25PM
C(-)ris
N-OS X-tasy!
C(-)ris

Maybe at the central distribution hubs, but drivers and regional hubs are definitely not all union.

USPS has been hiring part-timers for years. They are the ones who fill in for regular delivery people and do the Sunday deliveries. Last time I checked they were not part of the unionized workforce. Unlike other delivery services USPS does at least do a basic background check before hiring these part-timers. So that slows addition of workers.
Posted by: Microman
Date: December 17, 2020 02:28PM
On Dec 9, I ordered a car part (Door Handle) that lists in ebay as being only 5 miles from my house. But that was the CORP location. It actually was sent from La Puente, Ca which would be 30 miles away.

But thats not the point. It is still not here, and it is December 17.

Called and USPS put out an APB on it... with a reference #. I see one time it was in my city of Lakewood, but then went back to Los Angeles.

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 17, 2020 03:28PM
I ordered a pair of Powerbeats Pro on 28 Nov from Target with a promised delivery date of 2 Dec.

The shipping distance from one Target store to the other was 12mi.

Target missed the delivery date by two days, and after that they stated delivery by the next day, and the next day the rescheduled it for the next day.

This went on until 9 Dec when I ordered the delivery cancelled and a refund issued.

The carrier was OnTrack, a company I know to be highly unreliable.

I know COVID is playing hob with delivery times, but that was beyond the pale.

I ordered from AMZ and for some reason they applied a courtesy discount and I got them the next day.

Go figure.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Don C
Date: December 17, 2020 04:59PM
My local daily newspaper is delivered by mail. Receipt on the day of printing is probable but not guaranteed by any means. Not as serious as packages that need to be delivered, but likely part of the overall problem.
Date: December 17, 2020 06:20PM
C(-)ris
N-OS X-tasy!
C(-)ris

They were when I worked for the company. If they aren’t now, somebody needs to tell these guys: [teamster.org]

It is what it is.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: December 17, 2020 07:30PM
cbelt3
USPS was broken by political shenanigans (don't push this to the other side).
The Christmas apocalypse is upon them. Using top secret alien wormhole technology is probably their only hope.

^^^^This as much as anything else.

They actually dismantled thousands of high speed sorting machines and changed work rules to allow mail to sit on the dock when the bell rings.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: December 17, 2020 08:37PM
They actually dismantled thousands of high speed sorting machines...

Thousands? Sorry, but I find that extremely difficult to believe.
I've read reliable news sources stating between 500-700 machines were
scheduled for removal but not "thousands" actually scrapped.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: RgrF
Date: December 17, 2020 08:46PM
MrNoBody
They actually dismantled thousands of high speed sorting machines...

Thousands? Sorry, but I find that extremely difficult to believe.
I've read reliable news sources stating between 500-700 machines were
scheduled for removal but not "thousands" actually scrapped.

A distinction without a different when it comes to the ability to deliver mail on time.
Posted by: decay
Date: December 18, 2020 01:47PM
Nov 30 - Dec 18, from Kentucky to Pennsylvania.
A 10 hour drive.

---
Date: December 19, 2020 12:24AM
N-OS X-tasy!
C(-)ris
N-OS X-tasy!
C(-)ris

They were when I worked for the company. If they aren’t now, somebody needs to tell these guys: [teamster.org]

There is no way the guys slinging packages out of the back of Ryder trucks wearing street clothes and a fedex/UPS hat are dues paying Union members. Independent contractors I am sure.

C(-)ris
Date: December 19, 2020 02:39AM
C(-)ris
N-OS X-tasy!
C(-)ris
N-OS X-tasy!
C(-)ris

There is no way the guys slinging packages out of the back of Ryder trucks wearing street clothes and a fedex/UPS hat are dues paying Union members. Independent contractors I am sure.

I can't speak to FedEx, but for UPS those are seasonal guys and are UPS employees -- or, again, at least they were when I worked there. That was a long time ago - things may have changed. I don't see the Teamsters letting independent contractors get inside UPS, though.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2020 02:48AM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 141
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020