advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
that's allz I can standz, I can't standz no more?!.......Stephen King's 'The Stand' limited series debuTTs......
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 17, 2020 07:14AM
......but on CBS All Access [ you have to pay ].....

3:00 AM on CBS All Access
The Stand
Limited series premiere: Mother Abagail (Whoopi Goldberg) and a small group of survivors go up against the villainous Randall Flagg (Big Little Lies‘ Alexander Skarsgård), in this latest adaptation of the Stephen King classic.

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: that's allz I can standz, I can't standz no more?!.......Stephen King's 'The Stand' limited series debuTTs......
Posted by: PeterB
Date: December 17, 2020 10:47AM
I dunno. I stand by the early 90's version... some of the casting choices they made this time around being quite questionable.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Re: that's allz I can standz, I can't standz no more?!.......Stephen King's 'The Stand' limited series debuTTs......
Posted by: Robert M
Date: December 17, 2020 12:32PM
Newt,

Meh. Enough remakes of The Stand. I'm bored of it now. King (as well as countless other authors) have other books that deserve to be on film or TV.

Robert
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: December 17, 2020 01:44PM
please bring back Laura San Giacomo!

and Molly Ringwald!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2020 01:45PM by Bill in NC.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: December 17, 2020 10:29PM
PeterB
I dunno. I stand by the early 90's version... some of the casting choices they made this time around being quite questionable.

Which ones? I have thoughts on a couple myself below:

Main
James Marsden as Stu Redman
Odessa Young as Frannie Goldsmith
Owen Teague as Harold Lauder
Alexander Skarsgård as Randall Flagg
Whoopi Goldberg as Mother Abagail
Jovan Adepo as Larry Underwood
Amber Heard as Nadine Cross
Henry Zaga as Nick Andros
Brad William Henke as Tom Cullen
Greg Kinnear as Glen Bateman
Irene Bedard as Ray Brentner
Nat Wolff as Lloyd Henreid

James Marsden as Stu Redman- I thought Gary Sinise was too young and too good-looking to play Stu the first time, double that for James Marsden who I do actually like in general. When I first read the book I pictured Stu as more... weatherbeaten, along the lines of Lance Henriksen at the time.

Jovan Adepo as Larry Underwood- I'm okay with the race swap, but this guy better really bring it in the charm and humor departments as the character did in the book and Adam Storke very much didn't do in the earlier miniseries. When I first read the book I pictured Gary Sandy ("Andy Travis" from WKRP in Cincinnati) in that role. Bear in mind I first read the book in 1979 or 1980, so that would have been a valid casting choice then.

Brad William Henke as Tom Cullen- Okay, I get that there will never be as perfect an actor for the role of Tom Cullen as Bill Fagerbakke was (unless Bill Fagerbakke has sired a son who looks just like him that happens to have acting aspirations), but this Henke guy looks NOTHING like the character plus, more importantly, he's about 30 years too old to be playing Tom Cullen. If they're gonna have someone that old play a character who's 40+ but looks to be in his mid-20s (read the book, folks), why not just have Bill Fagerbakke reprise the role?

Greg Kinnear as Glen Bateman- Holy crap, when did fresh-faced Greg Kinnear get old enough to play Glen Bateman?

Guest starring
Hamish Linklater as Dr. Ellis
Eion Bailey as Teddy Weizak
Daniel Sunjata as Cobb
J. K. Simmons as General Starkey
Ezra Miller as Trashcan Man
Gordon Cormier as Joe
Katherine McNamara as Julie Lawry
Heather Graham as Rita Blakemoor
Natalie Martinez as Dayna Jurgens
Fiona Dourif as Rat Woman
Clifton Collins Jr. as Bobby Terry
Gabrielle Rose as The Judge

Heather Graham as Rita Blakemoor- Nope, way, way, WAY too young for that role. This is the role Holland Taylor was born to play, and she could do it to perfection in her sleep... was she busy?

Ezra Miller as Trashcan Man- Matt Frewer was technically too old for the role the first time but did an outstanding job nonetheless. I don't know how good an actor Ezra Miller is but I've got to admire his cojones for even attempting to fill Matt Frewer's shoes as Trashcan Man.

Bill in NC
please bring back Laura San Giacomo!

and Molly Ringwald!

Laura San Giacomo's character, Nadine Cross, was 30-ish and Molly Ringwald's character, Frannie Goldsmith, was 19... twenty six years ago. In which roles would you bring them back?

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2020 10:36PM by Thrift Store Scott.
Date: December 18, 2020 09:06AM
Scott, without replying in detail to your post, I'll say -- I just got through the first episode of the new series.

I stand by (heh) my original opinion ...

I actually thought James Marsden was fine, the guy they picked for Harold wasn't bad; the one I thought was terrible was the actress they picked for Fran. Not only was she too young for the role, but the actress just doesn't seem very good.

They've also diverged quite a bit from the book (understandable, given current circumstances), but also remained more faithful than the 1990's miniseries in certain, specific, interesting ways, for example the tube neck aspect of Captain Trips.

The major thing I don't like about the new series -- and it's a major problem -- is that the story is being told largely in flashback format (and the flashbacks being kind of random), with the impression that the writers/director consciously choosing to do it this way, thinking that this would somehow modernize it and/or make the whole thing better or "edgier" ... it doesn't. It just makes it a far more incoherent mess, frankly giving the impression of the writers/director having a bad case of ADD. (This style of direction/storytelling seems to be very in vogue right now, so you get the distinct impression that they intentionally chose to do it this way, to follow the trend.)

I reserve judgment until I've seen the whole thing, but so far I'm not very impressed... they've skipped over a lot of material which is crucial, having read both the book and seen the 90s miniseries several times.

One small bit of trivia/bright spot I've found interesting: they re-imagined the relatively minor role of "Rat Man" as "Rat Woman", and -- I think a nice bit of casting -- cast Fiona Dourif in the role, Fiona being the daughter of a favorite actor of mine, Brad Dourif.

Date: December 18, 2020 01:09PM
Interesting take. The "Flashback" format would seem to be a particularly bad choice for this miniseries because it would telegraph at least one character who makes it, thus ruining some of the suspense of the book.

I was concerned about the casting of Harold. It can't be easy to spend all day filming outside in decreasing sizes of fat suits and heavy fat + zits makeup while portraying a character who is thoroughly nasty yet manages to put on a convincing "Happy Face".

Sight unseen I agree about the "Rat Man" to "Rat Woman" swap. Rat Man was such a 70s cliche' wannabe-pimp in the book who wouldn't be remotely relevant now and swapping him to female opens up all sorts of interesting possibilities.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.
Date: December 18, 2020 01:44PM
The flashbacks really weaken it, I think, because it causes them to skip over a LOT of important stuff, for example, we don't get to see everything that was going on inside Project Blue prior to the outbreak. At least, that wasn't present in the first episode. Frankly the flashbacks seem kind of random, interspersed here and there, and aren't always accompanied with a title card, which makes them more confusing.

The guy who plays Harold doesn't really match the character in the book (and they also changed a number of other details from the book, like for example that Fran was Harold's babysitter), but where the actor does well is portraying a believable incel-type, along the lines of an Elliot Rodger.

Don't diss on the Rat Man. The Rat Man forgive you, THIS TIME.

But seriously, we'll see what Fiona Dourif does with the role (she hasn't shown up yet). They've also changed Larry Underwood to be black (doesn't make sense for the character as portrayed in the book), and I think have made a few other changes too... for example, all the characters seem younger than you'd expect... like Glen Bateman is being played by Greg Kinnear, who looks like he's in his 40's.

Date: December 18, 2020 03:16PM
The Larry Underwood change I can see, provided it's done right. Originally the character was one of those <apparently> sensitive singer-songwriter types that were so common in the 70s when the book was written who was "toiling in the vinyl fields" of LA and who by a lucky series of coincidences falls backwards into having a hit with what was originally just a song demo. Drop everything in that story with a big ol' curly-lettered "Sizzlin' 70s!" time-stamp on it and make Larry Underwood an aspiring rapper whose tape just happens to get heard by the right person and released to become a hit and we're right up to date.

But in the book, and this is THE most important part, Larry was not afraid to look foolish, was very glib, and was in many places genuinely laugh-out-loud funny. In the previous miniseries Adam Storke as Larry wasn't funny at all, with the few clever lines of Larry's from the book that Storke delivered feeling weird and forced and falling utterly flat as humor.

Edited to add: Way too late now, but just imagine how good Chris DiStephano would've been as Larry Underwood- [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2020 03:21PM by Thrift Store Scott.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 125
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020