Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Facebook attacks Apple: "Apple vs. the free internet"
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: December 17, 2020 09:32AM
[www.cultofmac.com]

Facebook has launched its second, blistering full-page ad against Apple, one day after it took it to task in the New York Times and elsewhere for allegedly hurting small businesses.

The new ad, which will appear in today’s papers, is titled “Apple vs. the free internet.” Here’s what it says:

“Apple plans to roll out a forced software update that will change the internet as we know it — for the worse.

Take your favorite cooking sites or sports blogs. Most are free because they show advertisements.

Apple’s change will limit their ability to run personalized ads. To make ends meet, many will have to start charging you subscription fees or adding more in-app purchases, making the internet much more expensive and reducing high-quality free content.

Beyond hurting apps and websites, many in the small business community say this change will be devastating for them too, at a time when they face enormous challenges. They need to be able to effectively reach the people most interested in their products and services to grow.

[44%] of small to medium businesses started or increased their usage of personalized ads on social media during the pandemic, according to a new Deloitte study. Without personalized ads, Facebook data shows that the average small business advertiser stands to see a cut of over 60% in their sales for every dollar they spend.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Facebook attacks Apple: "Apple vs. the free internet"
Posted by: rz
Date: December 17, 2020 09:37AM
Boo hoo. Facebook doesn't give a flying &^%! about small businesses. They care about themselves and the billions they make on advertising.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: December 17, 2020 09:46AM
FB "worrying" about anyone else is so chock full of logistical, ethical and moral holes I don't know where to begin.

many will have to start charging you subscription fees or adding more in-app purchases, making the internet much more likely to consist of high-quality worthwhile content.

Fixed. FB charging a subscription fee would be the best thing to happen to FB -- and the Internet -- in years. Competing on MERIT is kinda the whole point of capitalism, last I heard.
Posted by: STL
Date: December 17, 2020 09:54AM
FB is perhaps the worst thing that has every happened to the internet.
I think it should be disbanded and the money given to it's stockholders.
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: December 17, 2020 09:54AM
If Facebook believes it advertising is so valuable to business, why don’t the put this message on their own platform?
They could even target Apple users.
Facebook is so tone deaf, with this, and the proven censorship, I can’t wait until they become the next MySpace.
With Facebook, remember, you are not the customer, you are the product they sell.
I am on FB, but am planning my retreat.
Please keep this non-political so it stays on this side.
Posted by: Acer
Date: December 17, 2020 09:57AM
Anyone who understands the internet already turns off personalized ads at every opportunity.
Ads aren't going away. When you visit a cooking site, maybe you'll get cooking ads instead of ads for the last three things you already bought on Amazon.
Posted by: GGD
Date: December 17, 2020 11:15AM
STL
FB is perhaps the worst thing that has every happened to the internet.
I think it should be disbanded and the money given to it's stockholders.

My #1 worst thing that happened to the internet predates Facebook. It was when AOL tore down their garden walls and let their users loose on the rest of the internet.
Posted by: vicrock
Date: December 17, 2020 11:31AM
Acer
Anyone who understands the internet already turns off personalized ads at every opportunity.
Ads aren't going away. When you visit a cooking site, maybe you'll get cooking ads instead of ads for the last three things you already bought on Amazon.

agree smiley
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: December 17, 2020 11:41AM
Facebook doesn't want their users to have any say on how the user's data is used. End of story.
Date: December 17, 2020 11:43AM
And if you happen to be cooking liver with some Fava beans and a nice Chianti, you might not get an ad for Silence of the Lambs.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: December 17, 2020 11:55AM
Do they really think a full page ad in a newspaper is going to make people actually want to see ads? Going to take some PR magic to find people willing to see more ads, not less.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: December 17, 2020 11:59AM
C(-)ris
Do they really think a full page ad in a newspaper is going to make people actually want to see ads? Going to take some PR magic to find people willing to see more ads, not less.

And how many of their users actually read print newspapers and will see that ad. But since they're experts at targeted ads, I wonder which people they were targeting that newspaper ad at.
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 17, 2020 12:16PM
The necessary first step helping each of us start taking control of our own economic value.

If advertisers want access to me and my eyeballs, they need to pay - provide me a quality service (i.e. google search) or entertainment (i.e. NFL football). Not interested in trading access to me for a 'service'/platform like facebook. They are not curated enough and the quality of the service or content - nope.
Posted by: numbered
Date: December 17, 2020 12:17PM
C-ris

Ads like this are targeted for policy making, essentially wanting politicians and regulators to see them though publicity. Facebook has spent a lot of money on Republican positioning (including putting Joel Kaplan in charge of policy) and they hope to defend themselves. The issue is that *everyone* hates them. It is a bipartisan preference.

But that is not to say that spending money will not help their campaign.
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 17, 2020 12:37PM
facebook is the kid getting caught with their hands in the cookie jar and mad they are told they cannot eat anymore.
Posted by: btfc
Date: December 17, 2020 01:09PM
This is all about an Apple policy that will require users to opt in to Facebook’s harvesting of personal info and tracking a user’s browsing across the internet. If users actually want that, they’re free to opt in.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: December 17, 2020 03:08PM
It's not Apple vs. "the free internet;" it's Apple vs. the privacy-invading internet.

Drop the tracking, Facebook, then go nuts showing all the ads you want.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: December 17, 2020 03:27PM
It's just too rich that FB is joining Epic Games in an antitrust action against AAPL.
Posted by: fauch
Date: December 18, 2020 07:03AM
"Free Internet"? You mean AD free internet....
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: December 18, 2020 03:53PM
Article Accelerator
It's not Apple vs. "the free internet;" it's Apple vs. the privacy-invading internet.

Drop the tracking, Facebook, then go nuts showing all the ads you want.

Yup. If targetted advertising invading my privacy is the only way a small business can exist then they can go out of business. I don't need whatever crap they are peddling.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 114
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020