advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
looking for a good value 18 gauge brad air nailer. any specific recommendations?
Posted by: clay
Date: December 18, 2020 08:19AM
I would like to pick up an 18 gauge brad nailer (air) for some light woodworking projects/trim nailing around the house. I am not a pro and am not shooting 1000 nails a day every day. We're talking a few hundred nails over the course of a couple of weeks maybe 2x a year at this point. I like having the right tools on hand when I'm ready to work, but I don't want to way overshoot my needs and buy a $200 pro model when a $75 model will work just fine.

I see a dearth of options in the sub-$100 space. I see options at harbor freight in the $35-$65 range that look like they'd do the trick, and then at lowes there are options at the same or slightly higher range as well.

In the end it may not matter much for my usage which one I end up with. But I'm hoping to avoid any known duds in the bunch and not end up with a plastic toy that only works on the first project and never again. So it's not about absolute best price. More about best value. Harbor freight does have a 30% off one item coupon for the next couple of days that I could use to sweeten the deal if I went that route.

any thoughts? what do you like?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: looking for a good value 18 gauge brad air nailer. any specific recommendations?
Date: December 18, 2020 08:25AM
just noticed that the harbor freight coupon is only for items under $10, so that discount option out of the picture :-) I'll just look at the posted prices and not what they would be with the 30% off.
Re: looking for a good value 18 gauge brad air nailer. any specific recommendations?
Posted by: wurm
Date: December 18, 2020 08:43AM
FWIW, I bought a "renewed" one of these Ryobi brad nailers a little more than five years ago. I used it for two projects at the time and it was great. Pulled it out again this past summer for a quick repair and again, it was perfect for my needs. So, I don't use it much but have been happy with it. If you already use the Ryobi One+ system, that's an added bonus.

Looks like it's on sale at Home Depot now, too.

[www.homedepot.com]
Date: December 18, 2020 08:44AM
thanks wurm. I'm looking for an air tool, but I'll mark you down for a vote in the "Ryobi" column.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: December 18, 2020 08:49AM
When you get it, can you come to my house and apply just two brads to a piece of baseboard trim at my house? I'm afraid to mess it up with a hammer.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2020 08:49AM by Markintosh.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: December 18, 2020 08:57AM
Markintosh
When you get it, can you come to my house and apply just two brads to a piece of baseboard trim at my house? I'm afraid to mess it up with a hammer.

Just pre-drill a small diameter hole first. The baseboard won’t crack that way.
Date: December 18, 2020 08:59AM
Markintosh

Sure, I'll be right over. smiley-laughing001
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: December 18, 2020 09:02AM
I got a Porter Cable combo compressor and finish nailer a LONG time ago and both are still going strong. Although I'm hovering around the battery powered nailer for just the reason you said. It would be WAY easier to just go grab the nailer, plug in a battery and shoot in those couple nails. Vs dragging out the compressor and the hose, letting it fill up with air, then shooting those couple nails.

Also, my rule for purchasing things at Harbor Freight is basically, if there is a potential for injury or death, don't get it there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2020 09:03AM by bazookaman.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: December 18, 2020 09:02AM
I use a staple gun that also shoots brads.

Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: December 18, 2020 10:08AM
I got the Ryobi, because I don't have an air compressor. If you have a compressor, it's hard to beat the air nail guns for value.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: December 18, 2020 11:45AM
My Harbor freight nail/staple gun has worked for years. I have a compressor in the garage. And a homebrew air tank so I can use it wherever. Just oil it occasionally...
Posted by: nwyaker
Date: December 18, 2020 11:50AM
I avoid HF for most anything that has a motor or quickly moving parts.
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 18, 2020 01:38PM
Any reccs on a compressor?

I like the idea of a $50 gun + compressor... but the cordless option seems so much easier.

I own a RIGID drill... but the RIGID cordless nailer is $200 bones... with less than stellar ratings

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: December 18, 2020 01:50PM
jdc
Any reccs on a compressor?

I like the idea of a $50 gun + compressor... but the cordless option seems so much easier.

I own a RIGID drill... but the RIGID cordless nailer is $200 bones... with less than stellar ratings

I bought this compressor 2(?) years ago:
[www.lowes.com]

I was more concerned about "quiet" operation than I was necessarily about capacity or lowest cost, etc. So far in my light usage, it has performed admirably. And it is quite quiet compared to other compressors I've used.
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 18, 2020 01:57PM
thats a lot more $ than I thought.

Moving to a new house in a few months... wife has expressed interest in a wall with some wainscotting. I did it before in a small bathroom by hand, pretty easy. But shes talking about an entire 30 foot wall.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: davester
Date: December 18, 2020 01:58PM
deckeda
Markintosh

Just pre-drill a small diameter hole first. The baseboard won’t crack that way.

...and use a nail set.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: December 18, 2020 02:06PM
jdc
thats a lot more $ than I thought.

Moving to a new house in a few months... wife has expressed interest in a wall with some wainscotting. I did it before in a small bathroom by hand, pretty easy. But shes talking about an entire 30 foot wall.

you can get compressors for under $100 at any big box store. I put a lot more value in it being a quiet one, so I paid probably double what I would have had to.
Posted by: wurm
Date: December 18, 2020 02:20PM
clay
thanks wurm. I'm looking for an air tool, but I'll mark you down for a vote in the "Ryobi" column.

Oops. Sorry, I missed the parenthetical "air" in your original post.
Posted by: Acer
Date: December 18, 2020 02:51PM
I bought a WEN brand pneumatic stapler of Amazon for a big underlayment project a couple years ago...underlayment takes a LOT of staples. Along with a refurb Bosch pancake compressor. Everything worked fine. I have not used the stapler since, but the compressor is handy for the four cars' worth of tires in the household.
Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: December 18, 2020 09:56PM
I had a friend in high school named Brad Nailer..He was sharp as a tack.

Asheville, NC Area

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2020 09:59PM by MartyStickle.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: December 19, 2020 01:37AM
I have the Ryobi 18V Air nailer: [www.ryobitools.com]

No noise other than the air strike when nailing, no air hoses, no compressor to buy, portable. I have a 30 gallon air compressor that is just about useless at this point as I've found that 9 times out of 10 the battery tool is far more convenient and gets the job done. The only thing I use the compressor for now is painting and filling up tires. I had been using it with an air ratchet and air impact gun, but the $199 18V Milwaukee combo is way better.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 108
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020