advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Zoom/Dual Monitors/Screen Sharing...Help!
Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: December 19, 2020 09:11AM
I've tried everything. Please help me.

I'm teaching at the local Olli (College for Seniors) via zoom. Had a great class last term and am about to repeat course again in January. Teaching about Pandemic history and of course Covid 19 in our local area. Anyway, I have a 2020 27 in iMac running 11.01 and a Dell 24 in S2421H monitor. My arrangement is working just fine when I am a participant in a zoom meeting. I can have the iMac displaying gallery view and the external monitor showing the screen share. But when I'm the teacher, I cannot replicate that effect. When I screen share and go into full screen mode for my ppt, the screen share takes over both monitors. I can't drag things around etc unless I hit escape and go out of full screen mode. I do have dual monitors in my zoom settings.

I've looked at dozens of Youtube videos, googled like mad and can't find a specific solution. Would appreciate some help from you kind and wonderful folks.

Asheville, NC Area
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Zoom/Dual Monitors/Screen Sharing...Help!
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: December 19, 2020 09:15AM
My wife finds it easiest to have two separate computers. One she leaves in a view that always shows her class. The other one is her "screen sharing" computer.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Date: December 19, 2020 09:21AM
Markintosh
My wife finds it easiest to have two separate computers. One she leaves in a view that always shows her class. The other one is her "screen sharing" computer.

That's an interesting idea. Does she sign into zoom twice? I do have a laptop that I guess i could use for the screen share and use the iMac for zoom stuff.

Asheville, NC Area
Posted by: graylocks
Date: December 19, 2020 09:53AM
MartyStickle

That's an interesting idea. Does she sign into zoom twice? I do have a laptop that I guess i could use for the screen share and use the iMac for zoom stuff.

I tried signing into Zoom on my iPad and computer yesterday and it wouldn't let me so you might have to sign up under a different email address/phone number.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: December 19, 2020 09:56AM
graylocks
MartyStickle

I tried signing into Zoom on my iPad and computer yesterday and it wouldn't let me so you might have to sign up under a different email address/phone number.

I've had that result before, but I just did it a few minutes ago and it worked. But it didn't solve my problem anyway.

Asheville, NC Area
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: December 19, 2020 10:36AM
MartyStickle, I run zoom most days and am on dual monitors, and would be glad to help. I'm unclear from the post what the issue is. Can you restate what you're trying to do?

Mac mini (M1 2020, 16G 2T) Big Sur 11.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Date: December 19, 2020 10:45AM
tuqqer
MartyStickle, I run zoom most days and am on dual monitors, and would be glad to help. I'm unclear from the post what the issue is. Can you restate what you're trying to do?

sent you a PM But here's my reply here so others can see:

What I want to have happen is to have gallery view zoom on my iMac right in front of me and my FULL SCREEN ppt in screen share on the 2nd monitor. That way I can see what I'm sharing but still be seeing and talking to my class ( or at least most of it) on my iMac right in front of me.

I do this perfectly when I am the participant but not when I am the presenter. When I am the presenter, I can drag my ppt to the second monitor but when I go into full screen mode, the ppt. takes over both monitors in full screen. Pressing ESC stops that of course, but also stops full screen.

i know lots of folks do this, but it's been frustrating me to no end. I teach ppt and also zoom topics also to folks, but I just can't make this work.

Asheville, NC Area

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2020 10:46AM by MartyStickle.
Posted by: pqrst
Date: December 19, 2020 10:54AM
I have been part of a lot of zoom meetings over last few months as a participant. Talking to our moderators (we have paid version) I know that dual monitor setups don’t work reliably enough that we stopped using it.
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 19, 2020 01:01PM
When you share the screen, you can choose which desktop you share, or even a single window. Choose desktop 2 to share. That would be your external monitor. And then drag the window with gallery view to the iMac main screen.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: December 19, 2020 01:01PM
There are people who are reportedly running Zoom via Chrome browser on Raspberry Pi's. Might be a cheap way to go if you have an extra monitor.
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: December 19, 2020 01:37PM
space-time
When you share the screen, you can choose which desktop you share, or even a single window. Choose desktop 2 to share. That would be your external monitor. And then drag the window with gallery view to the iMac main screen.

Not sure if PowerPoint still does this, but Keynote, since the very last upgrade, now allows one to run the Slideshow presentation in a window format, vs the "take-over-your-entire-screen" format which didn't allow you to see any of the rest of your single or even dual screen.

See if your version of PPT allows that, and then I'd move the PPT presentation (now in a small window) to the second monitor, and then as space-time noted, select to share just that single small PPT slide show window.

Mac mini (M1 2020, 16G 2T) Big Sur 11.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: December 19, 2020 02:02PM
It might be a powerpoint issue, not a Zoom issue. Try looking in the presenter settings for Power Point. Even on PCs PP does some really strange things during presentations.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: December 19, 2020 02:19PM
I'm really appreciative of everyone trying to help. Unfortunately nothing seems to work. I'm considering the suggestion that the problem may lie with ppt rather than zoom In ppt, whenever I go to full screen, the presentation takes over BOTH screens. Nothing more can go on except by pressing ESC and then of course the presentation is no longer in full screen. BTW, this occurs whether the ppt preference more slide show has selected always use dual screens or not.

Asheville, NC Area
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 19, 2020 02:22PM
Did you try to reset PPT preferences, or another user account on that Mac?
Date: December 19, 2020 02:37PM
space-time
Did you try to reset PPT preferences, or another user account on that Mac?

I did try resetting ppt prefs. Will try another user now.

Asheville, NC Area
Posted by: Buzz
Date: December 21, 2020 12:47PM
I'm w/ Mrs. Marki... dual CPU's. You can even use a tablet (or two). Biggest hassle is figuring out which microphone to use, cuz ya gotta mute the others. Ditto w/ speakers. When you share your presentation, probably best to use "best" CPU for that (unless all are fairly new).

Been doing the presentation thing that way for most of the pandemic. It took a little trial and error (and a lot of screeching audio feedback), but once you segregate tasks, essentially among different users, it just works. IOW, you're signing into the Zoom for each type of use, even though they're all you.

If you haven't figured it out, and we still have our weekend Zoom next weekend, I'll try to remember to take some pics of our multi-CPU, 4 ring light, 3 tripod setup. Once it's figured out, the most time consuming thing is setting everything up before, and taking it down after.
Good luck.
==
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 114
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020