advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
anyone here using a raspberry pi as a desktop machine?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: December 21, 2020 10:13AM
Just curious if anyone is using a raspberry pi as a desktop machine for web browsing and similar. If so, how is it working out?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: anyone here using a raspberry pi as a desktop machine?
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: December 21, 2020 10:32AM
I think it's cooler as a laptop:

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: December 21, 2020 02:39PM
When the RPi 3 was the current model, I used it as a desktop machine for about 2 months. Not exclusively but as much as I could. That was the first quad core, with 1GB RAM. Nowadays you have 4GB and even 8GB RPi 4 options with a somewhat faster processor.

With a 1080p TV as a monitor it was very usable but only if you replaced the built-in web browser with Chromium. It wouldn't do 1440p. I posted here a number of times from it. I remember YT videos being what broke the usability and why I gave up using it though it's entirely possible that performance detail (and 1440p support) has been worked out.

I used LibreOffice which worked fine but I don't even use MS Office much for work even though I have a license for it.

I think for day to day use it would be fine for many people especially with 4GB as I never came close to using all my 1GB, but it really was mostly a media consumption device for me.

Edit: What I liked the most about it was the active way you used the OS for manually installing and updating things from the command line and needing to configure the occasional thing from a config file. There was more old-skool computing feel to it, the direct opposite of how phones work and where the macOS is slowly heading.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2020 02:44PM by Lew Zealand.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: December 21, 2020 07:01PM
I think they're probably best for specialized uses like this project which turns one into a Plex server.

[www.youtube.com]

I suppose if you're just running non-demanding software they'd be okay.
Posted by: bhaveshp
Date: December 21, 2020 10:05PM
The big problem I’ve seen is that Raspberry PI OS does not have a good OS upgrade option between major releases. Sure it’s technically possible (apt upgrade etc) each round, but they typically recommend to reflash the SD card with the major release.

Linux is great for specific purposes or for tinkering, but as a daily driver it needs too much effort.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 101
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020