advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How to use airline money?
Posted by: kj
Date: December 23, 2020 02:17PM
My son and I usually go to Indian Wells for the BNP Paribas Open tennis, and it was cancelled for 2020. I figured we would go in 2021, so I just put the airline refunds in the Alaska Air wallet instead of trying to get a total refund.
Well, the tennis for this spring is cancelled, so I need to schedule a flight by the end of 2020. With covid, I'm obviously at a loss. Is Hawaii even possible this spring? We were also thinking of going to Austin. It looks like they have lots of outside dining set up, and I trust that people there aren't being super boneheads, etc.
We are thinking in terms of being medium safe, just golf, tennis, a couple outdoor meals. But I have no idea what the issues are regarding travel at this point, or the foreseeable future of course.
I'm closer to "if you take all possible precautions, you can still do a lot of things and be reasonably safe", than I am to the "lockdown, disinfect all your groceries", but travel is really pushing it, I understand. I am probably more wondering how possible travel is, if we choose to take that chance. I have a really bad feeling I shouldn't post this, but I guess I respect the info/perspective I get here, so it's worth a try winking smiley
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How to use airline money?
Posted by: Buzz
Date: December 23, 2020 03:06PM
Get cash refund. Play fantasy sports online until entirety of Covid is in the rear view mirror.

You’ll thank me later....

because you’ll be able to.

DON’T GO!

Hawaii and Austin are two of our favorite places (for different reasons), but we’re staying put.
My last trip was Kauai last December, and spousal unit’s last flight was Austin in March, which turned out to be a total fiasco.... enough so that after 43.years of flying she took a leave from stewardessing, for the family’s health and safety.

RESIST TEMPTATION!

It’s not worth the risk now, and probably not until next fall.
Stay home, and stay safe.
==
Date: December 23, 2020 04:01PM
They've had my money for almost a year, so I really doubt I'll get it back. They offered to convert the money to mileage, but I didn't consider it because, frankly, it just didn't sound good (plus I figured if they want me to, it probably isn't good). Maybe I still could do that, but I'm wary. I might be able to make the travel plans for August. Idk what to do, but if I call, maybe I can get them to do something different.
Posted by: davester
Date: December 23, 2020 04:37PM
I don't know about your location, but here in Northern California you are permitted to fly to Hawaii if you have a negative Covid test from an approved vendor within 72 hours of flight time.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: December 23, 2020 04:49PM
It looks like that is the case. In fact, it looks like it might be required for most flights. Kauai is requiring a quarantine period, unlike the other islands, under "most circumstances", whatever that means.
I'm going to see if I can book the flights for the end of August.
Posted by: Bo
Date: December 23, 2020 05:57PM
We had similar situation with Alaska in that we bought tickets in Feb 2020 for travel to Mexico in April 2020. Obviously that did not happen. I should have insisted on refunds but instead did the Alaska voucher/credit thing. Those credits were dated such that they had to be booked by Feb 2021 for travel I think within three months of booking date (could be wrong there). Since that was not going to happen I called them recently and they had (unbeknownst to me) automatically extended the book by date to July 2021 for travel after that date (again not exactly sure how far out from then we'd have to fly).

Give them a call, they may have extended your dates. Would at least allow you to deal with this further down the road.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2020 05:58PM by Bo.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: December 23, 2020 06:29PM
Good luck getting a cash refund. No amount of talking to anyone at Delta got me one. Now I'm stuck with that money in limbo for at least another year before I will use it.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: GGD
Date: December 23, 2020 07:03PM
Are you sure you have the expiration correct? My wife has a ticket credit on American from a trip that was cancelled in March, the the credit is good until 12/31/2021. They pretty much knew nobody was making flight plans in 2020.
Date: December 23, 2020 07:24PM
Helpful thoughts, thank you. It's good to hear from others in similar situations. I've got another bigger one to deal with by February, but this one first. It did not help to surf through pics of places we could go. I'm going nuts, I gotta get out of here!
Posted by: Frank
Date: December 23, 2020 07:40PM
davester
I don't know about your location, but here in Northern California you are permitted to fly to Hawaii if you have a negative Covid test from an approved vendor within 72 hours of flight time.

That's true for all islands except Kauai. Kauai requires a 10 day quarantine upon arrival in addition to the negative test with the negative result before getting on the plane.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 412
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020