advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Watched WW84 tonight. No spoilers
Posted by: rgG
Date: December 26, 2020 10:02PM
These superhero movies are just not my thing.
I have trouble suspending my disbelief to the extent needed, I guess.
I hope others enjoyed it.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Watched WW84 tonight. No spoilers
Posted by: davemchine
Date: December 26, 2020 10:03PM
I was really trying to enjoy it yesterday and then the last 30 minutes...ugh. Not a movie I will be watching again.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: December 26, 2020 10:03PM
Watched the first third before daughter wanted to pause. Very enjoyable; so far, not as good as the first one. Looks like it's about to pick up.
Posted by: PizzaGod
Date: December 26, 2020 10:34PM
Too damn long.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: December 26, 2020 10:39PM
After hearing that they filmed a good chunk just for IMAX, I would have paid for IMAX 3D.

Glad I didn't.

Spoiler-text:

The story was not good, and had major holes. If you pay attention to the dialog, they explicitly point to a different resolution for the Macguffin that seems to indicate something left hanging after a major re-write.

The lasso effects were impressive and might have been nice on an IMAX screen, but it wasn't lasso-like and that was distracting. I don't see where it would have benefited from IMAX.

I thought they did a good job on the animation on the Cheetah. Didn't see any major gaffes in the transition between live and computer-generated.

...Quickly getting tired of the whole "she's a demigod" thing. "Magic the magic magic to stop the magic magic magicking the magic" is lazy writing.

Had I seen it in the theater, I would have come back here to tell you not to waste your money on 3D or IMAX.

It would have been a decent flick for a family matinee, but I wouldn't buy the DVD for my collection. Warner (AT&T) still hasn't quite got a handle on how to match Marvel (Disney).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2020 10:41PM by Sarcany.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: December 26, 2020 10:48PM
Didn’t like the first one very much; this second one even less. thumbs down

Cheesy
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 26, 2020 10:48PM
This conformed to my axiom of Thy Sequel Shall Suck.

LOVED the first one.

I was hoping this would be as good, but no.

There were a few scenes I liked, some for the content, some for the depiction of action.

I don't mind a 2h31m movie in the slightest, if it's entertaining.

This one wasn't very.

Still a big fan of Gal, though.

There was one scene very near the end that I enjoyed.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: December 26, 2020 11:22PM
Same here, you couldn't pay me to sit through another Avengers movie. I the other hand, I think Spiderman was ok, and Ant Man slightly better.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: December 27, 2020 03:56AM
My daughter said Kristen Wiig carried the movie. I thought it was ok.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Tiki2000
Date: December 27, 2020 05:39AM
That's 2.5 hrs I wish I had back...
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: December 27, 2020 06:41AM
thumbs down. thumbs down

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: wurm
Date: December 27, 2020 08:23AM
So glad to read these comments. I figured I was just an old fart who didn't "get it". I enjoyed the first one and with the exception of seeing a lot of Gal Gadot, I was severely disappointed in this one and would have been bummed if I had paid to see it. Horrible story, way too much special effects/CGI, too damn loud, and as much as I like and appreciate Kristen Wiig's talent, I thought she was miscast in this.
Posted by: rgG
Date: December 27, 2020 11:09AM
OK, you guys made me feel better about my not really enjoying it.
Thanks! grinning smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Robert M
Date: December 27, 2020 11:15AM
rgC,

The wife and I watched part of it last night. Enjoyable to a limited degree. Not a fan of the storyline. Not a fan of changes they made to critical characters. Overall, way too slow at times. I didn't doze off. Came close at times due to the pacing, though.

Robert
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 27, 2020 11:33AM
....haven't watched it yet but was concerned about the overuse of CGI when I saw the trailer......

....they just announced that they are fast tracking 'Wonder Woman 3'........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2020 12:20PM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: December 27, 2020 12:25PM
NewtonMP2100
....haven't watched it yet but was concerned about the overuse of CGI when I saw the trailer......

Except for the lasso, I don't think it was burdened by the abundance of CGI.

It was burdened by a silly story full of holes and a bunch of senseless "magic" shortcuts they took to move the plot. And also, a bit of disgusting (and very shocking if you think about it) sexual exploitation that they glossed over with cheer because a man was the victim.

I'd rather they stuck with the earlier milieu than going for a loud tribute to the excesses of the 1980s. An original story featuring Etta Candy and the Holliday Girls and/or her Amazon friend Mala would have been neat and a better lesson for the kiddies. SPOILER: They conveniently ignored the existence of all of her friends and sidekicks from the comics in order to add some drama when Steve shows up.

Ultimately, it's a different way of doing it, but just like the new Superman, this Wonder Woman turns out to be a very different entity from that in the comics, and as with Superman it's very much to the detriment of the character. Here, she's SPOILER: kind of... pitiful. And plays the victim card. I can't recall WW from the gold and silver age ever doing that. (Haven't read many comics for the last 20+ years. Has she become a self-hating head-case?) I always felt that WW was the real heart of the Justice League and would never act like this. But then again, this version of the Justice League seems less of a team and more a bunch of maniacs whose paranoia occasionally brings them together. So maybe I have to get used to Warner's movie heroes being shallow narcissistic lunatics.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2020 05:01PM by Sarcany.
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 27, 2020 01:26PM
Yeah, we were disappointed too.

Early reviews said it was good.... but they must have watched a different movie.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: December 27, 2020 01:33PM
wurm
and as much as I like and appreciate Kristen Wiig's talent, I thought she was miscast in this.

I’ve felt that way ever since she was first announced for the role.

It is what it is.
Posted by: hal
Date: December 27, 2020 01:39PM
Wiig was quite good in her roll. A surprise to me - I suspect if you're used to seeing her being funny, this might be weird. But I'm with rgC, the amount of disbelief I'm asked to extend is more than I got.
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 27, 2020 03:42PM
Thanks for the heads-up. We will probably watch, but not as a solo event.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 27, 2020 10:27PM
....but it's no 'Soul'.......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 88
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020