Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Wow! Just tried to give my teenager a Kindle Unlimited gift
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: December 27, 2020 09:24AM
what a @#$%& joke.

I cannot even describe my problem here I am so furious right now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2020 09:28AM by bazookaman.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Wow! Just tried to give my teenager a Kindle Unlimited gift
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: December 27, 2020 09:43AM
I've never tried giving KU as a gift, but I do enjoy the fruits of KU via the Kindle app on my iPad.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2020 09:43AM by Markintosh.
Date: December 27, 2020 09:51AM
We don't let our daughter use her iDevices at night. After a certain time, it's devices down. But she likes to read before bed. So my aunt got her a Kindle for Christmas. I figured that was a good way to JUST read.

So I tried to "gift" her a Kindle Unlimited subscription. Lo and behold, Jeff Bezos does not allow teens to have Kindle Unlimited. You see, she is under my Prime household where she can buy a $1000 Apple Watch from amazon using my credit card (with my approval) but she cannot read a book. Amazon does not allow that.

So I've been going round and round with customer service about this for probably an hour now. And there is literally no way around it. Option 1 is she signs up for a NON-family account. i.e. and adult account. Where she would have her won credit card and mailing address. Which she obviously cannot have b/c she is 13. Option 2, is for her to sign out of the Kindle and let me sign in with MY account. Of course this essentially makes it MY Kindle that she is borrowing pretty much. Not to mention, what if I later get a Kindle myself? Being signed in to both would involve both of us having only one library or whatever you call it. Shared content between my daughter and me.

Completely idiotic.

Posted by: space-time
Date: December 27, 2020 09:53AM
actually I prefer having a SINGLE account on MULTIPLE devices, it is easier to mamange than multiple accounts. Sure, I can see what they read and they can see what I read. No problem there.
Date: December 27, 2020 09:55AM
space-time
actually I prefer having a SINGLE account on MULTIPLE devices, it is easier to mamange than multiple accounts. Sure, I can see what they read and they can see what I read. No problem there.

Haha. Thats how we started. My account was used for everything. Amazon. Apple. Dropbox. All the big ones we use around the house. But after a while it became to difficult to manage and it was way easier for everyone to have their own account.

But just b/c you prefer it one way doesn't mean I shouldn't even have the option to do it the other way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2020 10:00AM by bazookaman.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 27, 2020 10:21AM
....kill them with Kind...........ness.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: rgG
Date: December 27, 2020 11:03AM
Can you use am Amazon GC instead of a CC to set up her own account?
There are also prepaid CC that I think anyone can have, even a teen, so maybe that.
I agree that it should not be this hard.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: December 27, 2020 11:11AM
rgG
There are also prepaid CC that I think anyone can have, even a teen, so maybe that.

Similarly, some of my credit cards let me set up a one-time-use online-transaction card number with a charge-limit to protect from potential fraud.

Date: December 27, 2020 11:13AM
rgG

I thought of that. There is a place in her account to add gift cards. But I also need an address. Which I cannot add to her account. Why? B/c it is SUPPOSED to use MY address. Which is does for actually ordering things. But not for subscriptions. Or anything digital for that matter.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: December 27, 2020 11:43AM
Use your address but add an apartment number

123 Main Street, Unit 2

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: d4
Date: December 27, 2020 12:01PM
bazookaman
Option 2, is for her to sign out of the Kindle and let me sign in with MY account. Of course this essentially makes it MY Kindle that she is borrowing pretty much. Not to mention, what if I later get a Kindle myself? Being signed in to both would involve both of us having only one library or whatever you call it. Shared content between my daughter and me.

In the early months of the pandemic in March/Feb the libraries were closed. I purchased a Kindle for my 10 year old daughter. Signed it up on my account. Loaded Harry Potter onto it. Also linked it up to my local library. And off she went. Now that schools and public libraries are back open the Kindle didn't get much use so it went to the wife. Who is using it quite a lot. My daughter prefers physical books from the library. My wife likes the Kindle more than holding thick novels.

"...what if I later get a Kindle myself?"
Cross that bridge when you get to it. No need to stress now over hypothetical situations.

Posted by: testcase
Date: December 27, 2020 12:03PM
space-time

Do you REALLY want to see each others pRon?............... RollingEyesSmiley5
Date: December 27, 2020 12:33PM
d4
In the early months of the pandemic in March/Feb the libraries were closed. I purchased a Kindle for my 10 year old daughter. Signed it up on my account. Loaded Harry Potter onto it. Also linked it up to my local library. And off she went. Now that schools and public libraries are back open the Kindle didn't get much use so it went to the wife. Who is using it quite a lot. My daughter prefers physical books from the library. My wife likes the Kindle more than holding thick novels.

Cross that bridge when you get to it. No need to stress now over hypothetical situations.

I get it. Its just the logic...or lack thereof behind this. They actually told me that she can use it when she turns 18. Gee thanks Captain Obvious. I'll just tell her to hold off on the books until she's 18. She used to like reading books. Now, not so much. I mean actual books. She still likes to read. This was a good solution...or so we thought.

Posted by: d4
Date: December 27, 2020 12:52PM
bazookaman
d4

I get it. Its just the logic...or lack thereof behind this. They actually told me that she can use it when she turns 18. Gee thanks Captain Obvious. I'll just tell her to hold off on the books until she's 18. She used to like reading books. Now, not so much. I mean actual books. She still likes to read. This was a good solution...or so we thought.

I totally get where you are coming from. And it does sound asinine. I've mentioned it here before, my experience with Kindle Unlimited is really not that great. When you see the word "Unlimited" you expect certain things. But the service really has it's shortcomings in the selection of books. Most of the current NYT best sellers are not available on Unlimited. And even a children's classic like: "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" was not available on Unlimited. Your best bet MAY be to link up the Kindle to your local library. Maybe see how that goes to begin with?

Date: December 27, 2020 12:56PM
Yes. The first thing I did was link to our library. Problem with that is despite the fact that its digital, you still have to wait for the book to be "returned" before you can check it out. So a lot of the books she wanted were "checked out". Another stupid reality.

Also signed up for the free Kindle Unlimited Trial. If it's no good, I'll cancel in two months.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2020 12:56PM by bazookaman.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: December 27, 2020 02:35PM
I started off with my account on every family members device but that became problematic over time. After trying a few things I eventually setup my kids with with their own accounts and simply added 10 years to their age so it would work. I don't like it but it's really the only way I could find that would work.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
I’ve added some recipes and spiritual thoughts as well.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: December 27, 2020 03:33PM
Ombligo
Use your address but add an apartment number

123 Main Street, Unit 2

OMG I've been in Unit 4 for years!

smiley-laughing001

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Buzz
Date: December 27, 2020 04:00PM
I’m with spacey on this one, just share Kindle across all the family devices...
it shouldn’t interfere with anything else. Just “buy” books thru the Kindle app, and they’ll be viewable everywhere.
==
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: December 27, 2020 06:25PM
but what are the rest of the lyrics?

I gave my teen a Kindle without no limit
With all the age restrictions
there's nothing in it
Date: December 27, 2020 07:39PM
She originally had her own account. I don't even remember why. But, b/c she had a "regular" account I could not share my Prime music account with her. She had to be part of my Prime household. Amazon could do nothing about this. So we ended up creating an entirely new Amazon account just so she could join my Prime household and have access to the @#$%& music I pay for.

Fast forward to now. And b/c she is part of my Prime household she is unable to access Kindle Unlimited. This is such a @#$%& joke. So now, I've reregistered the kindle as mine with MY account. It works sort of. Aside from the obvious @#$%& show of shared content, Ive also discovered ANOTHER bug. In order to check books out from the library, she needs to use the Libby app to "add to Kindle". Well guess what that does? That requires HER to log into MY Amazon account on HER phone. What a @#$%& pile of @#$%& this is. I really thought Apple was the worst at online account integration but Amazon has clearly eaten Apple's lunch in dumbassery category.

Posted by: macphanatic
Date: December 28, 2020 12:02PM
Couldn't you have created another user on your account with an adjusted birthday?
Date: December 28, 2020 01:40PM
macphanatic
Couldn't you have created another user on your account with an adjusted birthday?

Nope. Its got nothing to do with age as far as I can tell. Its about classification. I can have myself and a spouse. Then I can have teens. Then I can have children. Since my daughter is technically a teen, she is under that group. I cannot put her in any other category b/c the only two "adults" are myself and my wife.

It comes down to these two fundamental problems.
1. She HAS to be a member of my Prime "household" in order to share my paid Amazon music account. But b/c she is a member of my Prime household she cannot have access to Kindle Unlimited.

2. I could set her up with a separate account on Amazon (which she had originally) but then she wouldn't have access to all the music I pay for. But she would have access to Kindle Unlimited.

So the only thing to infer from these two situations is that she needs two Amazon accounts.

Posted by: $tevie
Date: December 29, 2020 12:33AM
I don't get this at all. Why does Amazon have to make it so complicated? If they want to have some kind of parental control where your daughter can't download a book to read unless you approve, then I could see why they might think that is necessary. But to just fix it so a child of a member can't use KU is so random and moronic.

Posted by: mikebw
Date: December 29, 2020 07:08AM
We are Amazon Prime customers. We got echo dot Children's editions for the kids rooms, which I thought was a good idea as I could setup Free time, but once I enabled that they could no longer access all the songs on our Prime music account. So dumb.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 83
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020