advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Show me your sleep data
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: December 28, 2020 08:39AM
I've been tracking my sleep for a while now and have learned that...I don't sleep well at all. Don't know if it's the 'rona (NObody is sleeping well it seems) or sleep apnea or what, but there it is.
Here's what mine looks like. Show me yours for comparison.

bunny smileyCentral VA
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Show me your sleep data
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: December 28, 2020 08:44AM
I'm doing much better since I started tracking with my Apple Watch. And decided going to bed was important, AND explained that to my wonderful wife whose sleep schedule is badly broken by her fibro and RA and all the meds she has to take.

"Should I sleep on the couch ?"

"Yeah... it's going to be a bad night and I'll be up and down and listening to my iPad."

#1 tip I give new husbands.
Always make sure you can sleep on a couch before you buy it !
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: December 28, 2020 09:00AM
I've been sleeping pretty well since I gave up on waiting for my wife to come to bed. She's nocturnal. She usually crawls into bed about 45min before I wake up for the day. Also, losing 40lbs helped quite a bit.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 28, 2020 09:29AM
I don't have a data tracker info to display but I have not slept 7 hours straight on a regular basis since I hit 41. It's been split/divided/segmented-sleep and I'm lucky if I get over 6 hours.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: December 28, 2020 10:26AM
Big problem for me. I have sleep apnea which is treated with CPAP and well controlled, but despite extremely careful sleep hygiene, I sleep very lightly and the tiniest thing will wake me up. A little tickle, a dry throat (using a humidifier, yes). I have a bunch of health problems that make it hard to fall asleep in the first place. I use morning light therapy and rotate through supplements with partial success. I’ve done the recommended programs and read lots of books including Why We Sleep (my favorite).

I average 8.5 hours in bed and 6 hours sleeping.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: December 28, 2020 10:27AM
When do you charge your Apple watch if you wear it at night? That is my biggest hangup. I have the series one and it needs to be charged every night to make it through the day.

I'm curious what mine would look like, probably awful. I get around 5-6 hours of sleep during the week and then binge sleep 9-10 hours on the weekends. Today was horrible coming off the holiday break. Went to bed at 3am and up at 7:30am.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 28, 2020 10:37AM
I don't sleep well at all.

It could be worse.

I get three to four hours a night, and sometimes I can get an hour nap, but I haven't had a regular eight hour night's sleep in decades.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 28, 2020 10:41AM
....sleeping......./being Sleepy......can be Hollow......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: freeradical
Date: December 28, 2020 10:42AM
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I generally get 7-8 hours of sleep per night, and it's extremely rare for me to get less than 6 hours.
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 28, 2020 10:48AM
What are you using to track your sleep? Thanks
Posted by: fromish
Date: December 28, 2020 11:05AM
I use Sleepscore by ResMed (free). Seems closest in accuracy to my old Zeo sleep tracker which was the only tracker that gave a fairly accurate reading for sleep stages (light, REM, deep, wake). Sleepscore has a kind of funky graph, but in other regards works well. Wifi/Bluetooth can be off but the phone must be on a cord or puck for charging. Positioning the phone is important, but the app has good instructions.
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 28, 2020 11:40AM
C(-)ris
When do you charge your Apple watch if you wear it at night? That is my biggest hangup. I have the series one and it needs to be charged every night to make it through the day.

maybe time for a new watch? SE has an 18 hour potential.

make sure background refresh is off, and/or cellular data, or even wifi at night. wake screen on wrist raid, reduce animation, display on time, push notifications, etc

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 28, 2020 11:51AM
......it's a...sleepery slope.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: December 28, 2020 12:02PM
jdc
C(-)ris

make sure background refresh is off, and/or cellular data, or even wifi at night. wake screen on wrist raid, reduce animation, display on time, push notifications, etc

I wear my watch all day, 7am to midnight. Even with 18 hours it would still run out in the middle of the night. If it had a quick charge where I could charge it in an hour or two I could probably make that work.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: srf1957
Date: December 28, 2020 01:11PM
Not sure what you think you need for sleep . Seems to be right .

sleep chart
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: December 28, 2020 01:39PM
C(-)ris
jdc
C(-)ris

I wear my watch all day, 7am to midnight. Even with 18 hours it would still run out in the middle of the night. If it had a quick charge where I could charge it in an hour or two I could probably make that work.

Don't know about the series one, but the watches in general charge pretty fast. If you have a long-ish morning routine, charging then might be enough.

If you work at a desk, then a 30 minute charge while you're sitting & working should be sufficient.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: December 28, 2020 03:25PM
I'd have to be awake for 3 days straight to get 8 good hours.
I have no idea what my current stats are, but I find myself napping most days. I hate that.

!#$@@$#!

proofraed by OwEn the c@t.

Nobody remembers their first download, but everyone remembers their 1st LP.
Posted by: btfc
Date: December 28, 2020 03:30PM
C(-)ris
jdc
C(-)ris

The answer is obvious! You need two! smiling smiley
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: December 28, 2020 04:00PM
C(-)ris
jdc
C(-)ris

Series 3. Even as old as it is, I get more than 2 days charge out of it if I don't have a workout. A little more than a day if I do. (Had some power management problems after OS updates, but subsequent OS updates fixed them.)

No problem sleeping with it.

It tops off from a day's use while I take my morning shower.

Posted by: pdq
Date: December 28, 2020 04:08PM
I’m a firm believer in the genetically-determined/programmed propensity for older folks to sleep less well (the so-called poorly-sleeping grandparent hypothesis).

For myself, I went from the world’s easiest sleeper (not sure how I ever got through school!), to not being able to sleep more than a couple of hours (around 4 to 5 AM) for nights on end, a change that was as sudden as a light switch being flipped when I turned 45.

Between meds and behavior and tricks I’ve learned, I do okay now, but still nowhere near what I was before.
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: December 28, 2020 04:16PM
I’ve always slept like absolute garbage, even when I was little. I thought the sleep apnea diagnosis was going to change my life dramatically (I was about 34) , but I’d say that treating it only helped 30-40%.
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: December 28, 2020 08:07PM
Tell me how to post my sleep chart and I'll do that.

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 28, 2020 08:24PM
I started wearing ear plugs to bed.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 28, 2020 09:28PM
pdq
I’m a firm believer in the genetically-determined/programmed propensity for older folks to sleep less well (the so-called poorly-sleeping grandparent hypothesis).

That specific link isn't bad but all their other related links lead to short excerpts with paywalls... sad smiley I wish this was known better 20 years ago when I started having the problem. It was barely covered in current literature at the time. It seemed to be common knowledge 120 years ago and then faded as electric lights spread through the developed world and let people try to define an exact bedtime instead of relying on sunlight. It would be nice to know current demographics of how many fellow sufferers there currently are.

pdq
For myself, I went from the world’s easiest sleeper (not sure how I ever got through school!), to not being able to sleep more than a couple of hours (around 4 to 5 AM) for nights on end, a change that was as sudden as a light switch being flipped when I turned 45.

It wasn't quite a light switch for me, took about six months for it to fully manifest. I first thought it was my environment (crunchwhore neighbor waking me up after the bars closed, and car thieves setting my alarm off) but the sleep problems kept up after I moved and completely changed my environment. What threw me off is both my brothers sleep much closer to the supposed norm. My oldest brother has sleep apnea but a CPAP mostly alleviates unwanted waking.

In college I did best with 7hr 15min to 7 hr 45min, but even then I would regularly fall asleep in the middle of lecture between 12:30 PM to 3:30 PM even when I was sitting in the front row. What's really odd is some stimulants make it even more likely to fall asleep during that early afternoon period. Now it is worst about 90 minutes after moderate-to-large lunch, which makes it tough to keep employers happy. A desk space with a standing option is about the only fool proof solution to keep me from snoring on the clock while working at a computer. I think my dad had the insomnia issue to some extent but never seemed to suffer from afternoon sleepiness as much as I do.

In tha 360. MRF User Map

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2020 09:29PM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Posted by: Diana
Date: December 28, 2020 10:43PM
Sarcany
C(-)ris
jdc
C(-)ris

Series 3. Even as old as it is, I get more than 2 days charge out of it if I don't have a workout. A little more than a day if I do. (Had some power management problems after OS updates, but subsequent OS updates fixed them.)

No problem sleeping with it.

It tops off from a day's use while I take my morning shower.

I recently went from a Series4 to a Series6. I charge it while I’m eating breakfast and during my shower, and wear it at night. On a slow day, i.e., not an exercising day, it’s down to about 75-80%, and thus will last two days. If I take a long walk (about 2 miles or so) it’s down to nearly 50% by the end of the day.

I use Pillow for sleep tracking. I haven’t seen a difference in my sleep patterns with the CPAP nor with the advent of the pandemic. I get between 4 and 6 hours a night, with occasionally getting more. When I was younger I could sleep longer. I’ve always been an owl, even as a child. Going to bed early doesn’t seem to work; no TV or other electronics in the bedroom but lately I’ve needed to have the phone available; my brother is on the other side of the world (Egypt, actually) and communication with him is usually after 10pm. Fun times.
Posted by: pdq
Date: December 29, 2020 09:24AM
Filliam H. Muffman
pdq

That specific link isn't bad but all their other related links lead to short excerpts with paywalls... sad smiley I wish this was known better 20 years ago when I started having the problem. It was barely covered in current literature at the time. It seemed to be common knowledge 120 years ago and then faded as electric lights spread through the developed world and let people try to define an exact bedtime instead of relying on sunlight. It would be nice to know current demographics of how many fellow sufferers there currently are.

pdq

It wasn't quite a light switch for me, took about six months for it to fully manifest. I first thought it was my environment (crunchwhore neighbor waking me up after the bars closed, and car thieves setting my alarm off) but the sleep problems kept up after I moved and completely changed my environment. What threw me off is both my brothers sleep much closer to the supposed norm. My oldest brother has sleep apnea but a CPAP mostly alleviates unwanted waking.

In college I did best with 7hr 15min to 7 hr 45min, but even then I would regularly fall asleep in the middle of lecture between 12:30 PM to 3:30 PM even when I was sitting in the front row. What's really odd is some stimulants make it even more likely to fall asleep during that early afternoon period. Now it is worst about 90 minutes after moderate-to-large lunch, which makes it tough to keep employers happy. A desk space with a standing option is about the only fool proof solution to keep me from snoring on the clock while working at a computer. I think my dad had the insomnia issue to some extent but never seemed to suffer from afternoon sleepiness as much as I do.

Yup. After lunch is was just deadly for me, ever since I was a kid in school. Just hopeless. But now that I’m retired, I have given into my nature and take a nice midday nap.

To those who would say you shouldn’t nap if you have trouble sleeping at night, I find from long experience that the midday nap allows for better, not worse sleep at night (for me). If I have to power through midday without a nap, it’s like my body goes into overdrive mode and then the brain doesn’t want to shut down at bedtime.

BTW, there is nothing more pleasant (or sleep inducing) for me than curling up in a sunbeam with the sun on my face. Driving at night is farrrr easier for me to stay alert than during the bright midday.

The sleep part of my brain seems to be wired backwards.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 102
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020