advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Oh, why not: Tesla Model S erupted ‘like a flamethrower.’
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 28, 2020 07:53PM
Open in a private window. There is some video.

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Seconds after Usmaan Ahmad heard metallic bangs in his Tesla Model S last month and pulled off a suburban Dallas thoroughfare, flames started shooting out of his five-year-old car.

The sound was like “if you were to drop an axle of a normal car” on the ground, Ahmad, 41, said. Only the car was intact, he recalled. Suddenly, as he stood on the side of the road, the car ignited in flames, concentrated around the front passenger-side wheel. “This was shooting out like a flamethrower,” recalled Ahmad.

>>>>

There were 189,500 highway vehicle fires in the United States in 2019, according to the National Fire Protection Association, encompassing passenger and other types of road-going vehicles. Experts say electric cars catch fire at a similar rate to gas cars, if not less often. But the duration and intensity of the fires, fueled by chemicals and the extreme heat buildup in lithium-ion battery systems, can make the fires in electric cars harder to put out.

“Battery fires can take up to 24 hours to extinguish,” Tesla says in an emergency response guide for the Model S on its website. “Consider allowing the battery to burn while protecting exposures.”

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2020 08:46PM by Speedy.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Oh, why not: Tesla Model S erupted ‘like a flamethrower.’
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 28, 2020 08:21PM
I have seen many gasoline sedans on fire too.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 28, 2020 11:57PM

That's little to no consolation for a lot of people driving Teslas, especially if their's caught fire.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: December 29, 2020 02:15AM
Maybe we can have a contest....post a thread every time a vehicle catches fire, be it an EV or ICE.

I've seen plenty of gasoline powered vehicle fires too. I'm sure there are EV fires out there as well (as we've occasionally seen posted in this forum before). I'm not worried about either of them (well maybe a little less worried with EV's).
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: December 29, 2020 08:20AM
Electric Car Fires: What you need to know

[youtu.be]

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2020 08:20AM by ztirffritz.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: December 29, 2020 09:59AM
space-time

Never seen one burn for 24 hours, though.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: fauch
Date: December 29, 2020 10:14AM
Speedy
“Battery fires can take up to 24 hours to extinguish,” Tesla says in an emergency response guide for the Model S on its website. “Consider allowing the battery to burn while protecting exposures.”

Sounds perfectly reasonable...
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: December 29, 2020 10:51AM
rjmacs
space-time

I'd take the lesser likelihood of a battery fire versus gasoline. Neither is a common enough occurance though to worry the vast majority of people. Much ado about nothing.
Posted by: pqrst
Date: December 29, 2020 11:01AM
The line in article about the fires being being difficult to extinquish makes wonder whether you could allow it to burn for up to 24 hours in a different space. Thinking of if it was parked in underground car lot in with other cars. Let a fire burn for hours isn’t always advised Indra steel support pillars , etc
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: December 29, 2020 11:28AM
pqrst
The line in article about the fires being being difficult to extinquish makes wonder whether you could allow it to burn for up to 24 hours in a different space. Thinking of if it was parked in underground car lot in with other cars. Let a fire burn for hours isn’t always advised Indra steel support pillars , etc

...or in your attached garage at home! smiley-shocked003
Date: December 29, 2020 12:02PM
Let a fire burn for hours isn’t always advised Indra steel support pillars , etc

I imagine most, if not at all firefighters would take location and circumstance into consideration.

I am that Masked Man.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Posted by: rjmacs
Date: December 29, 2020 01:41PM
RAMd®d
Let a fire burn for hours isn’t always advised Indra steel support pillars , etc

I imagine most, if not at all firefighters would take location and circumstance into consideration.

Given that Tesla has essentially introduced a new fire hazard to these communities, should they be at all responsible for facilitating effective response? Other than a printed guidance document, I mean?

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 29, 2020 02:27PM
rjmacs
RAMd®d

Given that Tesla has essentially introduced a new fire hazard to these communities, should they be at all responsible for facilitating effective response? Other than a printed guidance document, I mean?

All EVs have a fire risk, just like ICE vehicles. But firefighters etc have been trained to deal with gasoline fires.

Tesla and all other EV manufacturers should work with public safety groups to educate our first responders. EVs are going to be with us for a long time, it’s time to start planning for these currently singular events to become more common as more EVs hit the road AND they age.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 29, 2020 03:08PM
Carnos Jax
rjmacs
space-time

I'd take the lesser likelihood of a battery fire versus gasoline. Neither is a common enough occurance though to worry the vast majority of people. Much ado about nothing.

The Teslas have retractable door handles so if you don’t get out quickly and the door handles retract, good luck.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: December 29, 2020 04:07PM
The Teslas have retractable door handles so if you don’t get out quickly and the door handles retract, good luck.

I think there was one death attributed to that feature.

I saw the door handles on a S deploy as the owner approached, and retract once inside the car.

So it would be very difficult at best to open the door from the outside if a driver or passenger were incapacitated.

Do the handles on the inside also retract (I have no memory of the details of that death).

But since it was only one death, and EV fires by number and percentage are fewer than ICE fire, I guess it would be OK.

It's vaguely similar to ICE vehicles that need to be unlocked by the driver and passengers before the doors will open, allowing egress.

Just a spot of bad luck.

I am that Masked Man.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: December 29, 2020 04:45PM
RAMd®d
Do the handles on the inside also retract (I have no memory of the details of that death).

Model 3 doors open from the inside via a button on the interior door pull/arm rest, but...
There is also a manual release on the door if electricity fails.
Posted by: kj
Date: December 29, 2020 06:25PM
sekker
rjmacs
RAMd®d

All EVs have a fire risk, just like ICE vehicles. But firefighters etc have been trained to deal with gasoline fires.

Tesla and all other EV manufacturers should work with public safety groups to educate our first responders. EVs are going to be with us for a long time, it’s time to start planning for these currently singular events to become more common as more EVs hit the road AND they age.

A real quick search brings up evidence that back in 2013 things were happening. I don't know why things don't happen quicker, but they generally don't, so that's just how it is. But I think most car makers probably believe it's in their best interest to work with government agencies, etc. But I'm not sure they should be expected to be experts on emergency response. Plus, I wonder how much car makers were involved in emergency response procedure for ICE vehicles, but that's another thing. Notice several car makers collaborated on this:

[www.energy.gov]
Posted by: kj
Date: December 29, 2020 06:49PM
I also read that since 2016 the doors unlock, trunk opens, etc. when the air bags deploy. All of those systems use a regular 12v car battery to function, so they don't have to rely on the battery that is on fire to work. There was a lawsuit, but there was more to it than just the door handles. I don't know if they won, but I doubt it for several reasons. Plus, he was doing 75-90 in a 50, which could be considered the ultimate cause of his death.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: December 29, 2020 10:14PM
A firefighter isn't going to mess with door handles. They are going to break the window, problem solved.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: qdog2
Date: December 31, 2020 01:16PM

Most cars for the past few years have automatic locking doors and most safety minded people lock their doors when they get in their car so it doesn't matter what the handle does.

Portsmouth, Va
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 96
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020