The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
AirPods ? Yea or Nay ?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: December 31, 2020 05:49AM
Poll
Should cbelt3 get AirPods ?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
31 votes were received.
Sure 11

35%
Pro Only ! 12

39%
Maybe yes, maybe no 4

13%
Nay ! 4

13%
I only listen to MAVIC 0

0%

Thinking about getting a set to replace a failing set of Bluetooth earbuds/ around the neck gizmos with poor Bluetooth range (pocket to neck range is terrible !)

Future hearing aid use is a possible plus as well (what ?)

I am concerned about them falling out, although wired Apple earbuds do fit in my ears.

What say you ?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: AirPods ? Yea or Nay ?
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: December 31, 2020 07:13AM
AirPods Pro have a much more secure fit than the traditional AirPods. They're also much better, sound-wise.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: d4
Date: December 31, 2020 07:31AM
Life is too short to deny yourself a good set of AirPods. Go for it.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: December 31, 2020 07:41AM
I have the Pro, got as a gift. I wouldn’t buy them for sound quality, but compared to any other wireless bud they remain likely the best for that.

The big advantage is how well they pair with the Apple ecosystem. I have a bag of neck strap things here intended to save them if they fall out of your ears, which they will. Unlike regular Apple earbuds these are a wedge design, which only stays in with pressure. The natural physical wedge means as moisture increases they will slide out unless you happen to feel them “become super comfortable” like they aren’t even there (because they aren’t, at that point, and so you have to act fast.

[www.amazon.com]

I pulled one out of the drink on my first day because I couldn’t detect it was too loose. I can’t imagine it’s any better with other brands however, unless you get the kind that hook over the ear.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: December 31, 2020 08:40AM
i would say Pro only but air pods for sure and Pros if you can.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: testcase
Date: December 31, 2020 09:17AM
I recently got the Pro model. Batteries do NOT last three hours.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: December 31, 2020 09:30AM
testcase
I recently got the Pro model. Batteries do NOT last three hours.

hmmm. mine do.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: December 31, 2020 09:39AM
Personally I do just fine with the AirPods because I am not a Pro.

I use them around the yard and occasionally to watch something in bed while Mrs Markintosh sleeps.

They are far and away better than any other wireless buds I have tried just in terms of staying within the Apple ecosystem and not needing anything additional for charging.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: rgG
Date: December 31, 2020 09:50AM
I like mine, but I use them for voice calls not for listening to music.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: December 31, 2020 09:54AM
I got a pair of AirPods when my lightning port on my old iPhone 7 stopped working as an audio source (could still charge; just no audio transmission) and I love them. I've long since moved on from the iPhone 7 but I use my AirPods regularly.

Personally never a problem with them falling out of my ears.

Pair near instantly. Like rgG I mostly use them for voice calls (I prefer to annoy everyone in my house with my music/audio via my Audioengine speakers) but I do occasionally use them for music and they're pretty perfect, near as I can tell.

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)
TETO (To Each Their Own)

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: kurtzie
Date: December 31, 2020 09:54AM
I've had both.
I like the Pros better.
I was concerned that the Pros wouldn't fit as well as the regular AirPods. For me it hasn't been a problem.
Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: December 31, 2020 10:22AM
I use my hearing aids which broadcast directly into my ears for calls, music, etc.

Asheville, NC Area
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 31, 2020 10:30AM
Only airpods pro have the potential for "hearing aids" like features.

My oldest has had both, no problems with fit on either... but shes small.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: December 31, 2020 10:51AM
The fact that the pros may function as a surround system with AppleTV (depending on source) make them a must for me.
Watching movies while the lil’one is asleep is great too.
And the noise cancellation...
They’ve become a life enhancing accessory for me haha...
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: December 31, 2020 11:23AM
I've found too many in the hallways at school to ever trust them staying in my ears - especially at the price.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: jonny
Date: December 31, 2020 11:31AM
Thumbs down on any electronics you have to throw out after 3 years.
Posted by: PeterW
Date: December 31, 2020 11:49AM
And why exactly do you have to throw the Air Pods away after three years?
Date: December 31, 2020 11:54AM
PeterW

Because by then the batteries will be weak.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: December 31, 2020 12:06PM
I'd like them, but I'm sure I'd lose one nearly immediately. I'll stick with the backstrap!
These Powerbeats are $50 off.
[www.apple.com]

These are $50
[www.apple.com]

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Rolando
Date: December 31, 2020 12:07PM
PeterW

Guessing the batteries die at that point. Would be true of just about any BT headphones, tho.

Apple should replace them at 1/2 price!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2020 12:08PM by Rolando.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: December 31, 2020 12:35PM
I use headphones a lot and I have 8 pairs hanging up on hooks next to me right now. When out and about, true wireless headphones are the best thing I could have bought, they're so much more convenient than wired.

I have AirPods, but that can be extended to any wireless headphones as long as they consistently connect well via Bluetooth. I hear that connection consistency one of the real advantages of AirPods but maybe others have caught up in the interim? In any case, my AirPods are one of my most often used and convenient purchases I've ever made. I just should have gotten them sooner.
Date: December 31, 2020 12:37PM
Ombligo
I've found too many in the hallways at school to ever trust them staying in my ears - especially at the price.

While they might not fit in your ears well enough, I trust that there are a great many things you are better at than schoolchildren. One of those is likely to be keeping track of your EarPods.
Posted by: Michael
Date: December 31, 2020 12:45PM
I had considered the AirPod Pro's for the hearing aid feature. But, I was concerned that when talking to people with the AirPods in I'd have to constantly tell people I'm using them as hearing aids or they'd think me rude for not taking them out. I asked a couple of my-aged friends if they thought it was rude when people don't take AirPods out when talking and my very small survey (N=4) was unanimous that they think it's rude. So, I haven't bought them for that purpose at this point. But, I find the idea intriguing.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: December 31, 2020 01:13PM
I have 3yo BT wire & IEs from a pro maker.
I love them, but the batt has started to s-l-o-w down.

Unfortunately, there is no way in for a batt change as is the case for most personal and teeny electronics.
I doubt very much it's worth Apple or anyone elses time to offer replacement at any price.

I just wish these things were user replaceable so we wasn't tossing PE every 3 years simply coz the batt failed. There's enough PE on the trash piles of the world already.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is standing or sleeping on my keyboard.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: December 31, 2020 01:54PM
For the price of those AirPod Pros, you can get a pair of entry level planar magnetic headphones.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 31, 2020 02:35PM
.....BT.........S.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 31, 2020 03:11PM
I love my iPods Pro, and they work well for me. I have some hearing loss, the ANC is awesome.

My wife has the new beats and really likes them (they do NOT have ANC). We will see how well they last - her BeatsX died twice - once under warranty (Apple fixed), then again - disposable.
Date: December 31, 2020 03:33PM
....loss my hearing too.....in a small dusty down in Texas........

Posted by: Spiff
Date: December 31, 2020 04:16PM
I have both AirPods first and second generation. I was skeptical at first, but I have grown to really like them! The sound is darn good and clear. They have a long range (I can walk half way across our house before I realize I don't have my phone and the sound starts to stutter). Pair very quickly. Have a long battery life (so far).

The fit was what worried me the most. They were a bit rough on the ears at first as I had some soreness to begin with. However, after a few days, it was as if they were a always a part of my life and I will now go to sleep with them at times ( I wake up several hours later, take it out of the ear, put it on my night stand and go back to sleep).

I also use them in my car. Much better sound reproduction than having to try to decipher what people are saying through my car speakers. I typically only have one ear bud in at that point, so I am aware of what is going on around me as well. People also remark how clear my voice is and can't believe I am driving. Thumbs up from me.
Date: December 31, 2020 04:19PM
freeradical
For the price of those AirPod Pros, you can get a pair of entry level planar magnetic headphones.

$190?

Posted by: freeradical
Date: December 31, 2020 04:30PM
jdc
freeradical

$190?

Even less

[www.amazon.com]
Date: December 31, 2020 04:30PM
jdc
freeradical

$190?

HiFiMan HE400i $170 @BezosMart

[www.amazon.com]
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: December 31, 2020 05:42PM
deckeda
PeterW

When does that happen? (One year with my Pros and no noticeable decrease in battery life.)
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: December 31, 2020 05:43PM
freeradical

With noise cancelling?
Date: December 31, 2020 07:47PM
Article Accelerator
deckeda
PeterW

When does that happen? (One year with my Pros and no noticeable decrease in battery life.)

The original AirPods were introduced 4 years and 2 weeks ago. Do you want me to link to stories of batteries dying?

I like my Pros, they do spoil me, but I do not relish spending $250 of (my own) money for non-audiophile sound quality when they begin to inevitably become useless. But with any luck, by then Apple will have made them incompatible from some macOS or iOS update.
Date: December 31, 2020 07:48PM
.....treat yourself and get the AirPods......

Posted by: vision63
Date: January 01, 2021 12:05AM
Article Accelerator
freeradical

With noise cancelling?

There's noise cancelling and then there's AirPod Pro noise cancelling. Nothing can beat them (in ear type) for the user and for the persons listening to you speak.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2021 12:05AM by vision63.
Date: January 01, 2021 07:18PM
freeradical
jdc
freeradical

$190?

Even less

[www.amazon.com]

Those look 1000X the size of airpods.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 106
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020