advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Medicine cabinets - any advice?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: December 31, 2020 05:20PM
I'd like to replace a couple of medicine cabinets in my house and from a quick glance online they seem to range from low price and cheaply made to integrated leds and expensive. I like the idea of a built in outlet and led lights. Kohler looks like the main brand to consider although there's other lesser known brands with similar features in the price range. Any medicine cabinet recommendations?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Medicine cabinets - any advice?
Posted by: rgG
Date: December 31, 2020 05:22PM
We haven’t had one in 30 years, so I am no help. Lol

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: December 31, 2020 06:28PM
It seems it would be easy for a handy person to build. I would like one longer than the standard ones; maybe a golden rectangle.
Date: December 31, 2020 06:34PM
rgG

WHERE DO YOU PUT YOUR PILL BOTTLES

...I also discovered that designers generally dislike medicine cabinets because they give up the STATEMENT MIRROR.
Posted by: Acer
Date: December 31, 2020 06:35PM
I just purchased a Kohler. Basic cabinet, no lights or outlets. It is all-aluminum. Our prior cabinet was painted steel and began to rust. That's about the extent of my thought process. It arrives next week.
Posted by: John B.
Date: December 31, 2020 06:47PM
I shopped for medicine cabinets with LED lights integrated into the mirror when I was remodeling a bathroom less than 2 years ago. There were a ton of options, if you could find the right size and an acceptable price point. Kohler is definitely high-end in that space. IKEA has some options as well, but they didn’t have a size that worked in the space.

So I ended up separating and getting a mirror with integrated LED lighting, and moving the storage elsewhere. Moves the price point way down if you want the LED mirror. Then you get to shop for color temperature, etc. One thing I ran into with the mirror I bought, which I’ve found true with other bathroom LED fixtures as well, is that there is a “lag” between when you hit the light switch and when the light comes on. It’s like: Click (switch goes on)....heartbeat....LED lights come on. Kind of disconcerting if that’s the only source of light in the room. What I ended up doing was taking a suggestion from the electrician I was working with, they put the light from the exhaust fan on the same switch as the mirror light, so the ceiling light comes on immediately with the switch and the mirror lights up a second later.

Also, pay attention to reviews of any unit you’re considering in terms of light output. Many of these are designed as secondary lighting, so if they end up being the only light source in the room you might be disappointed.
Posted by: vicrock
Date: December 31, 2020 07:05PM
Pills are in a drawer in the kitchen - we have no medicine cabinets in any of our bathrooms
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: December 31, 2020 07:08PM
No medicine cabinet in our last two houses, which goes back to 1988. Pills are in a kitchen cabinet just above the spice shelf.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 31, 2020 07:09PM
.....if you get one....get a lock for it.....guests love looking in medicine cabinets.....they will see that cream that you use for that rash in that unmentionable place.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2020 09:47PM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: December 31, 2020 07:26PM
NewtonMP2100
.....if you get one....get a lock for it.....guests love looking in medicine cabinets.....they will that cream that you use for that rash in that unmentionable place.......

There's a practical joke where you fill your medicine cabinet with marbles and during a party, someone will always open the door and marbles will roll out and alert everyone that they've peeked.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: December 31, 2020 09:01PM
Don't put the lube there when her parents visit!

EDIT: To be serious, I installed a three mirror one a decade ago. Wife loved it for her makeup.
[www.homedepot.com]?

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2020 09:04PM by Rolando.
Posted by: Frank
Date: December 31, 2020 09:40PM
I like the Zaca cabinets installed in our house. [zaca-inc.com]
Posted by: Acer
Date: December 31, 2020 10:43PM
We don't keep pills in the medicine cabinet. Why would we do that? Duh.

But we keep razors, toothpaste, combs, cotton balls, floss, q-tips, peroxide, rubbing alcohol, nail clippers, contact lens items, etc., etc.
Date: December 31, 2020 10:45PM
....and intimate creams......

Date: January 01, 2021 09:33AM
mattkime
rgG

WHERE DO YOU PUT YOUR PILL BOTTLES

...I also discovered that designers generally dislike medicine cabinets because they give up the STATEMENT MIRROR.

Lol, why in the kitchen cabinet over the coffee maker, of course.
We do all the pill dispensing in the kitchen. grinning smiley
I think you are right that the medicine cabinet went away as more of a design choice than a practical one.

Posted by: Ammo
Date: January 01, 2021 10:31AM
Maybe you can find one that when you open it, your neighbor is on the other side. Hi Guy!

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 01, 2021 06:04PM
We are actually having a new house being built... and one of the things we are going to ask the builder to remove are the medicine cabinets... as well as not installing TP holders and towel bars.

MCs are kinda useless, and the wife will want her own style of bath hardware.... so just gonna leave them off.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: January 01, 2021 06:26PM
jdc,

Medicine cabinets useless? You can’t be serious. My wife and I store a slew of stuff in the medicine cabinet of our bathroom. Ranges from face lotion to dental floss to packets of razor blades to tweezers and a tone of other items. No medicine unless it’s the kind that isn’t affected by humidity. Think along the lines of triple antibiotic ointment, capsicum gel, etc.

We never store medicine and supplements like multivitamins, pain relievers and prescription meds of various types in the bathroom. The heat and humidity of showers can ruin them. They are stored elsewhere in the home, out of reach of little fingers.

I prefer a single-door, in-wall medicine chest. Had that in my old place and it was great. The new apartment has a single-door model in one bathroom and a multi-door model in the other. Both are on-wall and stick out. Blocks a little bit of the lighting that is above each medicine cabinet.

Robert
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 01, 2021 07:02PM
Robert M
jdc,
Medicine cabinets useless? You can’t be serious.
Robert

Dead serious. Just because you use them, doesn't mean everyone else does. Like many here, pills go in the kitchen drawer, right above the spices. =)

Our new master bath has 8 small drawers, 2 deep drawers and 6 cabinets. Last thing I want is some jammed in a corner $20 useless mirror box.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: January 01, 2021 07:45PM
.....where will the birth control be stored......????

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: January 01, 2021 08:41PM
jdc
Robert M
jdc,
Medicine cabinets useless? You can’t be serious.
Robert

Dead serious. Just because you use them, doesn't mean everyone else does. Like many here, pills go in the kitchen drawer, right above the spices. =)

Our new master bath has 8 small drawers, 2 deep drawers and 6 cabinets. Last thing I want is some jammed in a corner $20 useless mirror box.

We don't have any here either. Plenty of drawers and cabinet space for everything. I'd rather have a nice big mirror than a tiny one with storage behind it.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Robert M
Date: January 01, 2021 09:28PM
jdc,

Right back at ya. Just because you don't need one, that doesn't mean they aren't a necessity for other people. Many people have small bathrooms in their home and lack the luxury of extra cabinetry and drawer space in them. I’m one of them. So, for people like me, that so-called useless medicine cabinet serves a very useful and important purpose.

Robert

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2021 12:58PM by Robert M.
Date: January 01, 2021 11:22PM
Robert M
jdc,

Many people lack the luxury of extra cabinetry and drawer space in their bathroom. I’m one of them. So, for people like me, that so-called useless medicine cabinet serves a very useful and important purpose.

Robert

Yes, I think this is a big part of it. I have an older home with smaller bathrooms AND a smaller kitchen (by OPEN CONCEPT standards) - it suits us just fine but it helps to make clever use of space. Also, it already has medicine cabinets - the kind with a little slot in back for depositing razor blades.

Date: January 02, 2021 07:21AM
....so.......no slot.....shaming....????

Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: January 02, 2021 12:16PM
Haven't had a medicine cab for many years. But I remember when they had a slot in the back where you dropped used shaving blades and they just fell down in the empty wall behind the wallboard.

Asheville, NC Area
Date: January 02, 2021 05:39PM
....always put 'magnum' condoms..........just for show.......

Date: January 02, 2021 07:12PM
Apparently ‘I don’t own a medicine cabinet’ is the new ‘I don’t own a tv’

Posted by: Cary
Date: January 03, 2021 07:58AM
I know this is a late response, but I have 2 bathrooms with large, custom built medicine cabinets. Each are 3 door, so they can be used as make-up mirrors (open the 2 side doors to 45 degrees each). They were also built deeper than standard (6"), so they hold a lot of items. They both are frameless, so look like one big mirror when doors are closed.

They are more like shallow cabinets than medicine cabinets...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2021 08:00AM by Cary.
Date: January 03, 2021 08:44AM
mattkime
Apparently ‘I don’t own a medicine cabinet’ is the new ‘I don’t own a tv’

Lol. I didn't have any choice in whether to have one or not. I am not a MC hater. grinning smiley
I always liked being able to put my toothpaste and stuff in the MC to get it off the counter. I don't like putting my toothpaste in the drawer, for some reason.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 95
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020