advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Is anyone watching 'The Stand'? Is it really as bad as the reviews say?
Posted by: hal
Date: December 31, 2020 06:03PM
Right now, The Stand is standing at 5.3 at IMDB - that is BAD. I know lots of people will leave reviews without watching based on some prejudice or another or that it's not exactly the same as the original show.

Anyone watching? Is it THAT bad?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Is anyone watching 'The Stand'? Is it really as bad as the reviews say?
Posted by: PeterB
Date: December 31, 2020 06:12PM
I've watched the first two episodes. The second episode was definitely a step up from the first.

The major problem (as I noted when I posted about it here) is the writing and especially the editing ... they decided to do things in flashback format, which I wouldn't have done, and the writing/editing reminds you of someone with a bad case of ADD. (Also, some of the CGI is really bad...)

The positives: some (and I emphasize SOME) of their casting choices have been really good. For example, Heather Graham as Rita Blakemore is superb -- surprisingly good. The guy they picked for Larry Underwood... I had my doubts, as they changed his character's race-- but the actor they picked is excellent. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for the actress they chose for Fran Goldsmith, and the jury's still out on Amber Heard as Nadine Cross. Oh and I was very surprised that they changed Ralph Brentner's character to a woman. If you make changes like these, I feel like they have to serve the purpose of the story, and it's questionable whether that's true in this case.

Also,

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2020 06:15PM by PeterB.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 31, 2020 07:03PM
.....so you can't really stand......the STAND remake......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: vicrock
Date: December 31, 2020 07:07PM
So far - 2 episodes - I am underwhelmed - and the Stand is my favorite SK book.
Date: December 31, 2020 07:59PM
vicrock
So far - 2 episodes - I am underwhelmed - and the Stand is my favorite SK book.

As am I, generally speaking. I prefer the 1990's version. And yes, The Stand is one of my favorites of his, though I also really enjoyed Firestarter (the book was better than the movie) and Carrie.

Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: December 31, 2020 09:47PM
I just have never been able to tune into the Stephen King vibe. I kind of feel like I’m missing out, but, what can I say. And unfortunately, Whoopi Goldberg has never done much for me, so...
Date: December 31, 2020 10:21PM
Blankity Blank
I just have never been able to tune into the Stephen King vibe. I kind of feel like I’m missing out, but, what can I say. And unfortunately, Whoopi Goldberg has never done much for me, so...

I've never been crazy about certain of Stephen King's books (for example, everyone but me seems to love "It") ... but I strongly recommend reading the books rather than just watching the movies. (For example, Firestarter as a book is really quite excellent; the movie is just OK.) And as for Whoopi, she hasn't shown up much yet in the series, and I love her as an actress and a person, but I think she again was probably horribly miscast.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2020 10:22PM by PeterB.
Date: December 31, 2020 10:38PM
.....many have made Whoopi.....and only later regretted it......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2020 10:40PM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: December 31, 2020 10:46PM
I'm of the opinion that a good book can't be a good movie, but you can make a good movie out of a good book. Dune is a great book, but it needs at least miniseries to do it justice. The Godfather, for instance, was NOT a good book, but the movie is a towering giant. I read The Hunt for Red October before I saw it. The book was meh, but I love the movie.

I've never been into reading King, but I find movie versions enjoyable. Exception is Rita Hayworth and The Shawshank Redemption, I enjoyed the novella and the movie.

But when you go too far, to make the movie like the book, you get "Dreamcatcher". I did not enjoy the movie, It just dragged.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: freeradical
Date: January 01, 2021 12:21AM
If you've ever seen any of Alexander Skarsgård in Big Little Lies, you know that he should make a great Randall Flagg. He's got some serious presence and acting chops.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: January 01, 2021 12:28AM
AV club gives the first three episodes grades of B-, B+, and C+.

[www.avclub.com]
Date: January 01, 2021 01:51AM
I'd actually never seen Alexander Skarsgård in anything before this, so I had no basis to judge, but from the little we've seen of him so far -- I would agree that he looks to be good in the role.

I feel like it's hard to say how much of the problem with this series is the writing, how much the direction/editing (the latter of which is REALLY bad), and how much the acting. I tend to think that most of it is NOT the acting, because, as I mentioned -- there are a few really good actors in this, and it shows. I do feel that they miscast quite a number of characters though.

If I'm understanding correctly, I disagree with Rolando on the issue of books versus movies. I've seen cases of bad books and great movies, and the converse. I've also seen incredibly faithful adaptations of books to movies, where both were great... it can be done.

Lastly ... I forgot to mention, I did watch the third episode, and I was VERY unhappy with how they decided to portray Tom Cullen. Without going into spoilers, I didn't care either for the actor they chose, or the dialogue/presentation of the character. Pretty much feel the same for Nick Andros' character too.

I'd pretty much agree with the AV Club ratings, except maybe give the first episode a C+ and the third a B-.

Date: January 01, 2021 03:02AM
PeterB
If I'm understanding correctly, I disagree with Rolando on the issue of books versus movies. I've seen cases of bad books and great movies, and the converse. I've also seen incredibly faithful adaptations of books to movies, where both were great... it can be done.

I would love something that is both a good book AND a good movie.
Please.

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: January 01, 2021 07:57AM
Rolando
PeterB

Please.

1984 ... a very faithful adaptation of the book, almost even line-for-line, yet both the book and the film are great (in different ways, of course).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2021 07:58AM by PeterB.
Date: January 01, 2021 09:39AM
PeterB
Rolando
PeterB

Please.

1984 ... a very faithful adaptation of the book, almost even line-for-line, yet both the book and the film are great (in different ways, of course).

Those are good! Thanks!

Posted by: Mike Sellers
Date: January 01, 2021 11:22AM
Rolando
Please.

Shawshank Redemption
Date: January 01, 2021 12:14PM
.....Alexander Skarsgård......has a nice butt [ has shown it a few times ]......

Posted by: rgG
Date: January 01, 2021 01:17PM
NewtonMP2100
.....Alexander Skarsgård......has a nice butt [ has shown it a few times ]......

I haven't seen any part of him that isn't good, actually better than good.
He is also a good actor. I could probably watch him read a menu, and be pretty well entertained. grinning smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: January 01, 2021 01:55PM
Rolando
PeterB
Rolando
PeterB

Please.

Those are good! Thanks!

Also The Silence Of the Lambs, so well cast and faithfully adapted that I have trouble remembering which few parts didn't make it from the book into the movie. Dr. Lechter's line "I imagine all psychiatrists have a patient or two they'd like to refer to me" is a favorite.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.
Posted by: hal
Date: January 01, 2021 04:17PM
Y'all are forgetting about Misery - a brilliant movie. The great Kathy Bates got a best actress AA.

Also a rare SK drama, Delores Claiborne (also starring Kathy Bates) is another good one.

Back before Misery was made, I remember SK being asked about all of the horrible movies made from is stories - was he upset about it? NO he says... (paraphrase) they gave me A LOT OF MONEY to make a movie from my book, afaic, they can do what they like - they paid for it.
Date: January 02, 2021 12:52AM
hal
Y'all are forgetting about Misery - a brilliant movie. The great Kathy Bates got a best actress AA.

Also a rare SK drama, Delores Claiborne (also starring Kathy Bates) is another good one.

Back before Misery was made, I remember SK being asked about all of the horrible movies made from is stories - was he upset about it? NO he says... (paraphrase) they gave me A LOT OF MONEY to make a movie from my book, afaic, they can do what they like - they paid for it.

I did read Misery, not really impressed. It was an OK book, but the movie really was better.
I don't think SK is a brilliant writer. Prolific, for sure, like Asimov! Guess I'm going back to the old Fiction vs Literature argument.

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 02, 2021 12:24PM
I just have never been able to tune into the Stephen King vibe...

Likewise.

I kind of feel like I’m missing out, but, what can I say...

Here is where we differ.

And unfortunately, Whoopi Goldberg has never done much for me, so...

Likewise, fortune or lack of same notwithstanding.

It's possible to have a movie be better than the book it's based on, but difficult if not impossible to be better than a good book.

There's seldom time in a movie to fully nuance an already good book.

But if one is willing to make some compromises and manage expectations, seeing a good movie adaptation after reading the book can easily be satisfactory.

That was my experience with The Hunt for Red October.

Well, despite Connery's use of 'accents'.

(I was able to manage expectations in that regard.

If you've ever seen any of Alexander Skarsgård in Big Little Lies...

I have, and in many other projects, and he's an excellent, but so much of his stuff is dark, intense, moody, etc.

Seeing him to a romantic comedy with Sandra Bullock (who's sworn them off, literally) or similar could be big fun.

Maybe with Tina Fey...

This Godzilla vs King Kong isn't what I had in mind, but might be a step in that very general direction.

I haven't seen Long Shot because of a white-hot hate for anything Seth Rogan, and didn't realized Skarsgård was in it.

YouTube clips of him in the movie will have to suffice.

I didn't care for the original Stand and won't be watching this one.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Maddog
Date: January 07, 2021 02:35PM
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is a great book and a great movie. They are different though and would have to be. Another good SK movie is The Shining. Also a good book. I never thought they could do justice to the Lord of the Rings, but they did. I hopeful about Dune, but reserved.
Posted by: Kate
Date: January 08, 2021 01:16AM
Good Book, Good Movie-well, miniseries.
The Outlander series is excellent in both forms

Kate
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 134
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020