advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Why is Pete Maravich never talked about as the GOAT and who is the GOAT anyway?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: December 31, 2020 06:12PM
[m.youtube.com]

And what is the GOAT? Greatest of All Time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2020 06:13PM by Dennis S.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Why is Pete Maravich never talked about as the GOAT and who is the GOAT anyway?
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: December 31, 2020 06:17PM
Yes, GOAT = Greatest of All Time.

As to your other question? Two words: Michael Jordan.

It is what it is.
Re: Why is Pete Maravich never talked about as the GOAT and who is the GOAT anyway?
Date: December 31, 2020 06:25PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Yes, GOAT = Greatest of All Time.

As to your other question? Two words: Michael Jordan.

I think so, too, but Pete is never mentioned.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 31, 2020 06:33PM
.....so has someone got your.....GOAT......????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: srf1957
Date: December 31, 2020 06:35PM
Wilt Chamberlin
Posted by: Buzz
Date: December 31, 2020 06:43PM
There are many levels of greatness, especially when it comes to basketball.

There are simply too many ways to determine GOATness.

A valid case could be made that Pistol Pete has some GOAT in his legacy, but a lot of current thought seems to revolve around Be Like Mike's 6 for 6 in The Finals, rather than Pete's raw ballin' ability. I saw Pete in college and the pros, and he definitely had something not seen elsewhere. LA Bron now has 'chips with three different teams, as well as NBA Finals MVP's with all of 'em. Pete, unfortunately, never had the kind of team support that other GOAT candidates had. Bill Russell's GOAT resumé is impeccable. Wilt, and Shaq were unstoppable forces. Magic was no slouch from an adolescent thru retirement. Kobe was groomed for greatness since birth. If only Bill Walton had had better feet and legs.
==
Posted by: Cary
Date: December 31, 2020 06:57PM
Not to mention Jerry West, Elgin Baylor, Kareem, George Mikan, Larry Bird, Bob Cousy, Oscar Robertson, Isaiah Thomas and tons of other superlative players...
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: December 31, 2020 07:10PM
Defense matters too.

Posted by: btfc
Date: December 31, 2020 07:37PM
Cary
Not to mention Jerry West, Elgin Baylor, Kareem, George Mikan, Larry Bird, Bob Cousy, Oscar Robertson, Isaiah Thomas and tons of other superlative players...

And Dr. J

And (as Buzz mentioned above):

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2020 07:40PM by btfc.
Date: December 31, 2020 08:00PM
This Bill Russell video looks promising.

[m.youtube.com]#
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: December 31, 2020 08:35PM
Pete Maravich?

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Date: December 31, 2020 08:51PM
Nobody remembers anybody that played before 85 . Just like when Hakeem and Sampson played together or Duncan and Robinson . I remember watching a a game either in the 60;s or the early 70's.
when Counts and Chamberlin I swear were on the floor at same time .
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 31, 2020 08:55PM
.....Wilt claimed to have slept with 20,000 different women in his life.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 31, 2020 09:11PM
In college, Pistol Pete was the greatest. But his coach/father built his college team to highlight his son.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: btfc
Date: December 31, 2020 09:18PM
Bill Russell lived just up the street from us when I was 3-4. I have vague memories of meeting him.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: December 31, 2020 09:21PM
Yeah, GOAT will forever be a pantheon, not a single player.

Magic, Bird, Jordan, Wilt, Kareem, Dr. J, and many others, I’ve seen all of them night in, night out do things that no other player could do. Miraculous things. Things that you’d think shouldn’t be possible.

That’s the beauty of human athleticism. At any given moment a preternaturally gifted athlete will transcend into a zone where they alone reign.

A perfect “10” floor routine. A perfectly fluid 100 meters. 12 minutes, 24 minutes, 48 minutes on a basketball court where they are in effect unstoppable, or where, somehow, means unknown, they spread a contagion of greatness that turns five individuals into a single fearsome juggernaut.

Pistol Pete was one of my heroes. He kept me on the court practicing enough that there are at least a few broken ankles out there that have my name on them. Dick Barnett taught me to, “Fall back, baby!’ And Earl Monroe. The Pearl. I was him. He was me. 10, 15 seconds at a time. Swear on a bible, it wasn’t Jesus at my wheel, it was Earl.

In my kingdom. The playground. I lived for those moments.

Those are some in my minor Pantheon. The major is littered with the usual names, some already mentioned. Others who have earned a seat at the table, Gail Goodrich, Jerry West’s partner in crime the year they destroyed the league; James Worthy and Michael Cooper, the stuntmen of the Showtime era; Connie Hawkins, maybe the greatest player who never really got to be great (partly through bad choices of his own, off the court); while Scottie Pippen is forever barred from my club for the time I watched him refuse to go back in the game when they needed him because he was pouting about being taken out in the first place...

Whoops. Sorry. Slipped into Basketball Love Valley.

I’ll stop now.

Earl the Pearl Monroe
Date: December 31, 2020 09:25PM
NewtonMP2100
.....Wilt claimed to have slept with 20,000 different women in his life.......

I won’t say how. I won’t say why. But my mother spent time in Wilt Chamberlin’s bedroom.

And yes, their was music and alcohol involved. big grin smiley
Date: December 31, 2020 10:02PM
I heard Bill Walton and some other player talk about how nice Wilt was. I would have never thought that.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: December 31, 2020 10:33PM
GOAT? Even if he was before my time, but Basketball is a team sport, and one can only be judged in one's era.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2020 10:34PM by Rolando.
Date: December 31, 2020 11:14PM
Bill Walton's backup in college that hardly ever played had more games played than Bill. Then he blew iout his knees and went downhill too .

Swen nater
Date: December 31, 2020 11:23PM
Dennis S
I heard Bill Walton and some other player talk about how nice Wilt was. I would have never thought that.
Watched him in the Lakers years. Just hearing him in post game interviews and occasional public appearances, it was easy to tell he was an okay guy.
Posted by: vision63
Date: January 01, 2021 12:35AM
Blankity Blank
Dennis S
Watched him in the Lakers years. Just hearing him in post game interviews and occasional public appearances, it was easy to tell he was an okay guy.

Wilt was a great guy. A movie could be made about the "very" interesting relationship between Wilt and Kareem.
Date: January 01, 2021 12:47AM
Buzz

There are simply too many ways to determine GOATness.

A valid case could be made that Pistol Pete has some GOAT in his legacy, but a lot of current thought seems to revolve around Be Like Mike's 6 for 6 in The Finals, rather than Pete's raw ballin' ability. I saw Pete in college and the pros, and he definitely had something not seen elsewhere. LA Bron now has 'chips with three different teams, as well as NBA Finals MVP's with all of 'em. Pete, unfortunately, never had the kind of team support that other GOAT candidates had. Bill Russell's GOAT resumé is impeccable. Wilt, and Shaq were unstoppable forces. Magic was no slouch from an adolescent thru retirement. Kobe was groomed for greatness since birth. If only Bill Walton had had better feet and legs.
==

Kareem lost 2 games in High School which was, of course the National Champions.

The prospect of Kareem made the NCAA make dunking illegal. For 7 years. So he develops the SkyHook. The most unstoppable shot in history. Poor Walton spent his entire College career driving to the basket and just letting the ball drop through the hoop instead of dunking.

Kareem was ineligible to play as a UCLA Frosh. So his Freshman team defeated the National Champion Varsity team. Then he goes on and wins 3 titles in a row. 3 NCAA most outstanding player in a row.

Kareem is a 6 time NBA Champion.

Kareem is a 6 time NBA MVP.

Kareem is a 19 time All Star.

Kareem is the NBA All Time Scoring Leader

High School. College. Professional. The NBA Goat is arguable for sure. But since no player in history can match his entire basketball pedigree, he "is" the greatest basketball player that has ever played. The closest is Bill Russell so that's arguable too.

The Bruins are my college basketball squad, so I'm a bit biased.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2021 12:49AM by vision63.
Date: January 01, 2021 08:24AM
vision63
Buzz

There are simply too many ways to determine GOATness.==

The prospect of Kareem made the NCAA make dunking illegal. For 7 years. So he develops the SkyHook. The most unstoppable shot in history. Poor Walton spent his entire College career driving to the basket and just letting the ball drop through the hoop instead of dunking.

Kareem was ineligible to play as a UCLA Frosh. So his Freshman team defeated the National Champion Varsity team. Then he goes on and wins 3 titles in a row. 3 NCAA most outstanding player in a row.

High School. College. Professional. The NBA Goat is arguable for sure. But since no player in history can match his entire basketball pedigree, he "is" the greatest basketball player that has ever played. The closest is Bill Russell so that's arguable too.

And then there was that time — 1980, I think? — Cap [That’s Kareem, for those of you that don’t bleed Laker purple and gold] had banged up an ankle. Just no way he was going to get on the court, finals or no finals.

Too bad too, Lakers were a game away from wrapping up the championship, up 3-2 on the Sixers.

Then this kid steps up. “Earvin” something. Stupid ass nickname of “Magic”. 20 year old rookie and full of p*ss and vinegar.

And he starts. At center.

He actually does alright.
42 points. 15 rebounds. 7 assists. 3 steals and a block. 14 for 14 free throws. 47 minutes. Played every position that night.

Yeah, the Lakers have had more than a few ballers that could chew you up and spit you out like an old tin can.

Kinda like a... GOAT. big grin smiley

Buck throwing down his ‘Junior Junior Skyhook’.

(Can’t remember if it was Magic who gave it that name or Chick.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2021 08:26AM by Blankity Blank.
Posted by: STL
Date: January 01, 2021 08:37AM
John"Hondo" Havlicek.
The ultimate sixth man.
Fabulous.
Posted by: pdq
Date: January 01, 2021 09:09AM
Odd memory - I was never a big B-ball fan, so I'm at a friends house (way back in the day) and the TV's on and Maravich is playing and just got fouled. I'd never heard of him, but my friend tells me about "Pistol Pete" and watch him shoot these free throws - he never misses.

He missed them both.

At least that's the way I remember it.
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: January 01, 2021 09:49AM
Cary

I grew up in Pewaukee, WI, about 18 miles outside of Milwaukee, so many of these names are good memories

M1 2020 Mac mini (16G 2T) Ventura 13.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs M1 2020 13" MBAir (256G 8G)
Date: January 01, 2021 12:40PM
Blankity Blank
vision63
Buzz

There are simply too many ways to determine GOATness.==

And then there was that time — 1980, I think? — Cap [That’s Kareem, for those of you that don’t bleed Laker purple and gold] had banged up an ankle. Just no way he was going to get on the court, finals or no finals.

Too bad too, Lakers were a game away from wrapping up the championship, up 3-2 on the Sixers.

Then this kid steps up. “Earvin” something. Stupid ass nickname of “Magic”. 20 year old rookie and full of p*ss and vinegar.

And he starts. At center.

He actually does alright.
42 points. 15 rebounds. 7 assists. 3 steals and a block. 14 for 14 free throws. 47 minutes. Played every position that night.

Yeah, the Lakers have had more than a few ballers that could chew you up and spit you out like an old tin can.

Kinda like a... GOAT. big grin smiley

Buck throwing down his ‘Junior Junior Skyhook’.

(Can’t remember if it was Magic who gave it that name or Chick.)

That was my second greatest Lakers moment. I just knew we were going to have to go to 7 games when Kareem went down. I still have my framed Sports Illustrated with Magic as a Michigan State Soph.

Posted by: DavidS
Date: January 01, 2021 01:23PM
Pistol Pete was great. I never saw him play in person, but I've seen videos of him when he was with the Atlanta Hawks. He was the first player on that team to get his number retired.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 180
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020