advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
expired drugs
Posted by: wurm
Date: January 01, 2021 10:58AM
We have some expired prescription meds that I'd like to get rid of. There are several options I've found vis google. The most convenient would be to drop them off at a local CVS drop off box. But they do say "in original containers" preferred. Now we get into the privacy aspect of it all. I don't necessarily care that someone might find out that I had a prescription for amoxicillin a couple of years ago. But then gain, it's none of their business. Is it worth scratching out our names on the bottles or does it even matter?

What other option have you used? Apparently flushing is frowned upon.

-- problem solved (as far as privacy). I was able to just scrape off the part of the label with our name.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2021 11:02AM by wurm.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: expired drugs
Posted by: graylocks
Date: January 01, 2021 11:21AM
i do the scrape thing.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: January 01, 2021 11:39AM
Our local PD takes them in a drop box, removed from the bottles just in a plastic bag.

Asheville, NC Area
Posted by: Fritz
Date: January 01, 2021 11:48AM
local PD here too.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 01, 2021 12:00PM
....now I know where to drop off my extra crack.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 01, 2021 12:49PM
Do not flush, especially if you are on a septic system.

Septics and water treatment plants work on active aerobic bacteria breaking down waste. You do not want to add anti-biotics into such a system. Likewise you don't want oil added to a septic as it will coat the water surface eliminating oxygen interchange needed for the bacteria to work.

If you don't want to take them to CVS, just put everything in a bucket of hot water, let it dissolve, and then spread/spray/pour it on your yard. If you have a fence line, that would be ideal (in the unlikely event it kills the grass, you won't have to weedeat that strip). Depending on what you are pouring, it could turn your weeping willow into hardwood.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Date: January 01, 2021 12:58PM
Ombligo
.......it could turn your weeping willow into hardwood.

....that's what she said.....!!!!!

Posted by: wurm
Date: January 01, 2021 01:11PM
Thanks, all. Scrape names off the bottles and drop at CVS will likely be the option. Although Ombligo's dissolve in bucket of hot water and spread on the tree line is tempting. Then again, I don't need Squirrels hopped-up on Oxy running around the yard, either. ;)
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 01, 2021 01:18PM
Better yet, relabel with the names of your enemies.

Posted by: MarkD
Date: January 01, 2021 01:49PM
In this case, the web page is actually helpful. ( [www.fda.gov] ) The FDA encourages personal info to be removed. The web page has a search for controlled substance dropoffs and other locations for all prescriptions. Many PD have an annual collection or perhaps some ongoing collection process. CVS and Walgreens have dropoffs at designated stores.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 01, 2021 01:54PM
I have seen ads for this locally. They suggest using black permanent markers to saturate any fields with personal information (address, billing numbers, etc.).

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: January 01, 2021 02:15PM
.....funny because most people when they throw out old med bottles don't remove personal information.....you can see it in the recycle bags [ at least in my building ].....bottles and bottles with the person's name and med info.........I always ripoff person info....

Posted by: Ammo
Date: January 01, 2021 03:44PM
If you don't want to take them to CVS, just put everything in a bucket of hot water, let it dissolve, and then spread/spray/pour it on your yard.

I did this in order to get rid rid of an old bottle of Wellbutrin and my crabgrass went away!

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: RgrF
Date: January 01, 2021 04:13PM
NewtonMP2100
....now I know where to drop off my extra crack.......

Wait - aren't you that local drop box?
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 01, 2021 04:49PM
I always buy my medicine using wurm's real name. I see no reason to scrape it off when I return it to CVS.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: January 01, 2021 06:44PM
Our pharmacy uses semi-removable labels, so we just score around the personal info w/ a pocket knife, and easily peel that portion of the label off. Only leaves a bit of stickum residue. The exception is when the pharmacy uses an OEM bottle of pills, and labels over the OEM label, then it doesn't always tear off as nicely.

About 5 years ago I used a black permanent marker to black out personal info, and took a phone pic for an attorney friend.... didn't realize photo showed everything that couldn't be seen with the naked eye. Been cutting everything out/off ever since. YMMV.
==
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 01, 2021 07:13PM
For Sale & Free Items forum.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 01, 2021 07:23PM
I've never heard of the Breaking Bad method of melting down the drugs and fertilizing the lawn. Yikes! Probably the beginnings of a new Spiderman series.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: January 01, 2021 10:06PM
I hadn't heard of the breaking bad method before either. But the method I had heard of for cat owners was to mix the expired drugs in with the cat litter when they cleaned out their cat's litter box.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 107
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020