advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I need a new 65" TV. (couch is 17 get away)
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 01, 2021 06:11PM
I am thinking OLED, and I think LG. Convince me why I would want another brand: Samsung does not make me feel confident with their bad caps a few years ago, Sony let me down many years ago, Vizio sucks for high end TVs, and Panasonic threw in the towel many years ago. So what's left?

I am thinking Costco and I pay with Costco City to get some extended warranty. there are supposed to be some sales before Super Bowl, right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2021 07:07PM by space-time.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I need a new 65" TV.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: January 01, 2021 06:19PM
my son recently got an LG CX 65” from Costco. kinda pricey if you ask me but i have to admit it’s a really nice picture.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: RgrF
Date: January 01, 2021 06:25PM
I need a new 65" TV

No one needs a 65" TV
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 01, 2021 06:38PM
Budget?

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: January 01, 2021 07:07PM
jdc
Budget?

N/L

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2021 07:07PM by space-time.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 01, 2021 07:07PM

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: January 01, 2021 07:08PM
RgrF
I need a new 65" TV

No one needs a 65" TV

Sure, no one needs any TV. All you need is food, water and shelter.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: January 01, 2021 07:30PM
someone here rec'd TCL (S4 55") to me a couple years back.
Very happy with and it was less expensive than other "name" brands.
After experience I've had with other Samsung, LG and Sony products, I'd avoid all 3.
Sony gets $ because of their pro side.
LG and Samsung make appliances, poorly (not that TCL doesn't make appliances ....)
But then a TV cam friend of mine just bought LG. Though I think he bought it coz the box fit in the car.
YMMD.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 01, 2021 07:31PM
....I have a need......a need for speed......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: January 01, 2021 08:00PM
there are supposed to be some sales before Super Bowl, right?

Alledgedly, the best prices are the week after Super Bowl.
My brand choice would be either LG or Sony.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: sekker
Date: January 01, 2021 08:40PM
LG, Sony and now Vizio use the same LG-made OLED panels.

If you can wait even 6 months, rumor has that miniLED TVs are going to hit the market in 2021 and push OLEDs in image quality, especially for blacks.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 01, 2021 09:28PM
If you NEED a 65" set, then you really WANT a 75" set.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Date: January 01, 2021 09:29PM
sekker

If you can wait even 6 months, rumor has that miniLED TVs are going to hit the market in 2021 and push OLEDs in image quality, especially for blacks.

interesting. Need to look into this. Thanks.
Date: January 01, 2021 09:30PM
Ombligo

does not fit above fireplace.
Date: January 01, 2021 09:31PM
Fritz
someone here rec'd TCL (S4 55") to me a couple years back.
Very happy with and it was less expensive than other "name" brands.
After experience I've had with other Samsung, LG and Sony products, I'd avoid all 3.
Sony gets $ because of their pro side.
LG and Samsung make appliances, poorly (not that TCL doesn't make appliances ....)
But then a TV cam friend of mine just bought LG. Though I think he bought it coz the box fit in the car.
YMMD.

I want a nice TV. TCL is a good choice for performance per $, but that is not my main goal. I want a reliable, and good picture TV. Also forgot to mention, but I do not want a glossy screen. I want a matte if possible.
Posted by: davester
Date: January 01, 2021 10:06PM
space-time
Ombligo

Noooo!! Above the fireplace is a horrible location for a TV. Neck strain time! TVs should be mounted low, so that the center of the screen is roughly at head height when seated (around 42"). In the fireplace would be much better than above it.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: January 01, 2021 10:07PM
We sit far enough that thus should not be a problem
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 01, 2021 10:36PM
.....have you tried mounting....from behind.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Spiff
Date: January 01, 2021 11:32PM
Got a 65inch LG OLED tv 4 years ago. Have gotten a Vizio and Insignia since for other rooms. Both are far inferior to the OLED. Go with LG.
Date: January 01, 2021 11:45PM
More info on next gen screens.

[www.theverge.com]
Posted by: Rolando
Date: January 02, 2021 01:40AM
Wirecutter on OLED TVs
[www.nytimes.com]

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 02, 2021 04:58AM
sekker

LG is the way to go for OLED TVs. Yes, Sony and Vizio use LG-manufactured panels, but a Sony OLED usually cost about twice as much as an LG OLED of the same size.

Vizio OLEDs are new to market, so I can not speak to whether they are a smart purchase.

It will be interesting to see what microLED TVs (not miniLED) are capable of, but I personally don't believe they are going to achieve image quality equal to OLED, at least not for the first few years.

Personally speaking, every time I watch my LG OLED I am glad I bought it - and my previous TV was a Panny plasma, itself no slouch in the image quality department. When I say "every time", I mean every time - no exaggeration. It's that good.

EDIT: I see that the TV discussed at the link seeker provided does indeed refer to miniLED... which is weird, because everything I've read about the new LED technology refers to it as microLED:

[www.cnet.com]
[en.wikipedia.org]

To me, that right there is good enough reason to proceed with caution if considering the new technology - among other things, the consumer must now reconcile whether miniLED and microLED are the same technology and, if not, determine how they differ. Exactly what the TV market needs - even more confusion about competing technologies.

EDIT #2: Ah, the picture becomes clearer. From the final paragraph of sekker's article:

Last, don’t make the mistake of mixing up Mini LED with MicroLED. Think of Mini LED as another evolution of LCD TVs, whereas MicroLED is a more radical upgrade that removes the backlight from the equation altogether (just like OLED) and combines millions of self-emissive LEDs that only light up when they’re needed. MicroLED TVs are still outrageously expensive, and while we won’t know pricing for LG’s QNED TVs for a few more months, it should be much less eye-popping.

MicroLED is the technology expected to challenge OLED, not MiniLED. The latter technology should provide LED TVs with the ability to get closer to being able to display true black, but it will not match OLED's ability to do so. In other words, MiniLED is simply another marketing ploy, similar to Samsung's QLED. I recommend sticking with OLED.

It is what it is.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2021 05:12AM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Date: January 02, 2021 07:40AM
MiniLEDs look to have blacks that compete with OLED and have no panel burnin issues.

As I noted, they are coming to market this year.

MicroLEDs are far too expensive a tech at this this time for TVs.

Personally, I miss my plasma screens. Too bad the Panny developed a motherboard failure. The screen was still spectacular after 7 years of constant use. Even though it was ‘only’ 1080P, I still think it was better than my 4K quantum dot LED 4K screen even with 4K HDR content.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2021 07:53AM by sekker.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 02, 2021 09:39AM
davester
space-time
Ombligo

Noooo!! Above the fireplace is a horrible location for a TV. Neck strain time! TVs should be mounted low, so that the center of the screen is roughly at head height when seated (around 42"). In the fireplace would be much better than above it.

I was also going to respond similarly. I believe it's also responsible for early tv death from additional heat.
Date: January 02, 2021 10:51AM
If your wall above your gas fireplace is hot, there’s something to work on. There should be good insulation - and likely a fan - moving the heat to the room, not to the ceiling. Our mantle never gets hot to the touch, and it’s on all the time in MN winters.

I know the complaints about TVs above the fireplace, but we love ours there. It’s the only decent spot in our open living room. The only other place is in a corner that faces windows, making screen glare terrible unless we close the shades.

By being that high, it’s visible from arguably three ‘rooms’ - kitchen, an office and the living area. If it were lower, we’d have to have invisible furniture.
Posted by: iaJim
Date: January 02, 2021 11:23AM
I love my LG OLED 55" tv. The picture is amazing. The youtube video reviews said that Sony drove the same panel with some extra magic for a little different picture, but I have not seen the Sony, and can't imagine how much better a tv could be than the LG. Buy the LG. You will love it.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 02, 2021 11:47AM
MicroLED TVs are still outrageously expensive, and while we won’t know pricing for LG’s QNED TVs for a few more months, it should be much less eye-popping.

'Much less eye-popping' is still eye-popping territory, and I'd expect that it will be someone with rarified disposable spending to say 'Ok, now we're talking!'.

Mounting a TV above an active, oft used fireplace would seem to be a bad idea.

Insulating it from heat might help, however that might be done.

A friend mounted his LCD TV above a dormant fireplace that will stay that way, so no heat worries.

The couch for main viewing is a little close as far as the neck angle is concerned, but one can slouch on the couch and get good neck and head support from the back of it, so each situation may yield a different result.

I think mini-LED may as much an incremental improvement in LCD TV if not more than just a marketing gimmick.

Clearly it's to help LCD compete with/against OLED, so pricing will be key.

If it's priced too close to OLED sets, one may as well spend a little more for OLED, especially since it's established tech, 'long term', compared to mini-LED.

If I got a big screen, it would be OLED.

My favorite comment in the whole thread:

If you NEED a 65" set, then you really WANT a 75" set..

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: January 02, 2021 12:12PM
So is the consensus to stay away from Samsung now? My whole system is Samsung and my 10yr old 55” Samsung TV still looks great but I imagine I’ll need to replace it in the coming years. BTW, just got the TCL 32S327 32-Inch 1080p ROKU Smart LED TV (2018 Model) that was an Amazon special for $129.99 for our bedroom. Really happy with it.

JoeM
Posted by: sunfalcon
Date: January 02, 2021 12:44PM
We've had a TCL Series 6 for two years now and it has been excellent.
Posted by: vision63
Date: January 02, 2021 04:05PM
JoeM
So is the consensus to stay away from Samsung now? My whole system is Samsung and my 10yr old 55” Samsung TV still looks great but I imagine I’ll need to replace it in the coming years. BTW, just got the TCL 32S327 32-Inch 1080p ROKU Smart LED TV (2018 Model) that was an Amazon special for $129.99 for our bedroom. Really happy with it.

I'm sure they're fine.
Posted by: Mactel
Date: January 02, 2021 04:15PM
Rtings seems to be a well respected site for TV reviews.
Date: January 02, 2021 04:21PM
I don't really have a better place to install the TV in this Family Room. I'll discuss with better half about mounting it on a different wall but I expect a strong NO.
Date: January 02, 2021 04:21PM
we never used the fireplace since we bought the house. I plan to convert it to natural gas sometime in 2021 and then yes, we hope to use it next winter.
Posted by: Bo
Date: January 02, 2021 05:47PM
Pull down mantel mounts:
[www.mantelmount.com]
[homesthetics.net]
Date: January 02, 2021 05:58PM
sekker
Personally, I miss my plasma screens. Too bad the Panny developed a motherboard failure. The screen was still spectacular after 7 years of constant use. Even though it was ‘only’ 1080P, I still think it was better than my 4K quantum dot LED 4K screen even with 4K HDR content.

Happy to sell you mine. smiling smiley

It is what it is.
Date: January 02, 2021 06:03PM
vision63
JoeM

I'm sure they're fine.

Samsung makes fine TVs (although the lifespan of some of their plasma models was less than ideal...), but they engage in what are essentially snake oil marketing practices for their flagship technologies. Check out comparisons of their QLED technology vs. actual OLED technology to see what I'm referring to.

It is what it is.
Date: January 02, 2021 06:05PM
space-time
I don't really have a better place to install the TV in this Family Room. I'll discuss with better half about mounting it on a different wall but I expect a strong NO.

Dude, you do you. Just know that the two primary objections to mounting a TV above a fireplace are:

1. Early death due to rising heat from the fireplace.
2. Uncomfortable viewing angle due to TV height.

It is what it is.
Date: January 02, 2021 07:01PM
Bo
Pull down mantel mounts:
[www.mantelmount.com]
[homesthetics.net]

That seems like a nice solution!
Date: January 02, 2021 07:07PM
Also the couch is 17 feet away from TV
Re: I need a new 65" TV. (couch is 17 get away)
Posted by: srf1957
Date: January 02, 2021 08:23PM
Local Walmart has a Visio similar to this . Visio. It is a 70 inch thou . People were asking if it was the right price . $1998 . Electronics person said it was the only one they had. .
Date: January 02, 2021 09:25PM
srf1957
Local Walmart has a Visio similar to this . Visio. It is a 70 inch thou . People were asking if it was the right price . $1998 . Electronics person said it was the only one they had. .

1. Do not want a Vizio.
2. 70" would not fit.
Date: January 02, 2021 09:27PM
space-time
Bo
Pull down mantel mounts:
[www.mantelmount.com]
[homesthetics.net]

That seems like a nice solution!

Nice!
Date: January 02, 2021 11:26PM
space-time
srf1957

1. Do not want a Vizio.
2. 70" would not fit.

That link links to a 75", not a 70".

It is what it is.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: January 03, 2021 12:08AM
You have obviously already made up you mind, so you may not be happy with anything other than the LG OLED. Whether or not you want to wait for a sale is up to you. The 65 CX model is the best bang for the buck, and it is $300 less than it was in the summer—BUT it is now $300 more than LG's promo sale price in November and December. So in this case, you MAY find a better price if you wait a bit.

I have one of the last great plasmas (Samsung's top model from 2014) and two LG OLEDs. The 1080p plasma holds its own on broadcast content, and it may even be better suited for lesser quality broadcast sources, but the OLEDs are next level on 1080p and 4K streams. Very happy with all of them. To me it's worth the premium for amazing black levels and stellar off-axis viewing angles.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: January 03, 2021 10:20AM
space-time

That's not very far.

Ours is 15 feet and the angle is ~25-30 degrees. I don't like watching on that set.

I have this waiting in the garage. Waiting to install it until I get a new TV. The current one is a 52" Bravia and probably weighs a hundred pounds.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: January 03, 2021 10:44AM
From 17 feet, how impressive will a TV be? For event-viewing, maybe projector and screen?

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: January 03, 2021 02:34PM
Lux Interior
space-time

That's not very far.

Really? Mine is only eight feet. Viewing angle is just a few degrees — my head is nearly level with the middle of the screen when sitting on my sofa. Works well for me.

It is what it is.
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: January 04, 2021 12:56PM
TCL 6-Series or 8-Series.

If mounting above the fireplace, consider a fireplace mount (Monoprice carries them), so the TV has the option to be pull out and lowered, for better viewing angles.

Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: January 09, 2021 10:15AM
N-OS X-tasy!
Lux Interior
space-time

That's not very far.

Really? Mine is only eight feet. Viewing angle is just a few degrees — my head is nearly level with the middle of the screen when sitting on my sofa. Works well for me.

You have a low mantel then, I assume.

The bottom of my TV is almost six feet from the floor.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 116
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020